Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Colts offense next year under Hamilton

Articles are nice, but to invite discussion, what are you thoughts on this? From what I'm reading they plan to use Luck's athleticism more like Kaepernick or Wilson as opposed to the Roethlisberger styling he pulled off last year. A stronger focus on the run game is a good idea, Brown and Ballard are decent enough backs, they may not be spectacular, but they'll keep the load off Luck.

The Colts just need a run game. Like the article said, they ran the ball less than 40% of the time. Teams can play their safeties off and have double coverage down the field, making it harder for Luck to throw the ball.

What they need is a solid running game that freezes the LBs in the box and forces the safeties to drop down and play the run. Even that split second hesitation in which the safety has to read the play, instead of just dropping straight back, can mean a quick 15-20 yard gain across the middle of the field.

• Upvote 1

My first thought is that we have not a had a decent/consistent run game in Indy for several years so I have to see it to believe it. Even at times when the run works we go away from it. And there are several Colts fans I know who don't even want to see us ever run the damn ball. :rolleyes: Balance is the word here......we are not going to become the Vikings for Gods sakes. If we were a middle of the pack running game I might throw a party.

There have been some o line changes though and that area needs to improve too so that's a wait and see for next season as well.

If Pep Hamilton can give this team some balance again (which I feel like I have not seen since 2006) then I will tickled.

Luck got POUNDED last year. I am dead serious when I say in many games I thought it was a miracle that we won AND he didn't get hurt. Tough kid.

Last year the offense was either NOOOO or YESSSSS. I don't think there was a lot in between that kept you calm as a Colts fan. :yep: I like occasional comebacks but we need to clean some stuff up.....

Edited by Jules

And ironically the Colts are in a run happy division and we have never been able to click there in recent years. :p

one of the reasons I think Luck struggled last year was because he was playing in a offense that was a terrible fit.

Luck's arm strentgh while not bad, isn't the greatest, and he never played in an air-it-out offense the way Arians likes to do things. I really do believe that losing Arians is the best thing that could of happened to Luck.

• Upvote 2

one of the reasons I think Luck struggled last year was because he was playing in a offense that was a terrible fit.

Luck's arm strentgh while not bad, isn't the greatest, and he never played in an air-it-out offense the way Arians likes to do things. I really do believe that losing Arians is the best thing that could of happened to Luck.

Those 7 step drops didn't help him either, especially considering the OL situation. I believe Luck will be the most improved from his rookie year, he could be a Top 7 QB this year.

Luck succeeded in the Stanford offense installed by Harbaugh/Roman/Shaw/Hamilton.

I expect the Colts to use some of that power run to set up the pass game in the Hamilton Colts offense.

I expect Luck to do better this year than in Arian's Colts offense.