Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Daryl Smith signs with Ravens

Linebacker Daryl Smith signs with Baltimore Ravens

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209634/article/linebacker-daryl-smith-signs-with-baltimore-ravens

Linebacker Daryl Smith, the Jacksonville Jaguars' all-time leading tackler, finally has a new home. After making just one known free-agent visit to the St. Louis Rams in early April, Smith signed a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday.

One of the few remaining veterans left on Around the League's list of the top 85 free agents, Smith was playing at a high level in 2011 before losing last season to a groin injury.

The Ravens need the veteran depth at inside linebacker following Rolando McClain's abrupt retirement and rookie Arthur Brown's hernia surgery. Starter Jameel McClain is still waiting full clearance to return from a scary spinal cord injury.

NFL teams are loath to commit to linebackers over 30 years old, but the Smith addition could pay huge dividends with so many question marks at inside linebacker following the departures of Ray Lewis and Dannell Ellerbe.

Credit general manager Ozzie Newsome for rebuilding his defense on the fly with a series of low-risk, high-upside additions.

I like this move. Daryl Smith has been incredibly underrated his entire career. He's over 30 now and had a season ending injury last year so it will be interesting to see how he performs.

• Upvote 1

Super solid move.

Great move. Can't believe it took this long for someone to take a chance on this guy. He's a stud, sure he's getting older, but he was still very good right before his injury. No reason not to take a chance on him.

• Upvote 1

Heard they got him cheap. Sucks for Daryl, had a big injury at the worst possible time. Great guy, great against the run, inconsistent in coverage but solid enough. Quiet leader. Good job Oz.

About damn time. Now, here's hoping he doesn't disappoint us after all the hype and praise we've heaped on him.

Why would he? He isn't a terrible player who just gets really unlucky all the time. Unless you think the injury will linger, which I suppose is a definite possibility. :think:

:dry:

I know this has been a weird year regarding FA, but there's always a chance that there's a reason (due to play or something on tape) that he hasn't been picked up until now (and only had one visit prior to this).

Great move. Can't believe it took this long for someone to take a chance on this guy. He's a stud, sure he's getting older, but he was still very good right before his injury. No reason not to take a chance on him.

Pretty much this.

I'm thinking he isn't too healthy though because I don't see any other reason why he would have been on the market for so long. If he turns out fine though, awesome pickup for the Ravens. Either way I like it for them though since they got him cheap.

Only other thing I can think of is more teams are moving towards quicker, faster OLBs to combat the TE craze that's going on right now? Daryl can play ILB too though. He's not a slow lumbering LB, but he's not that fast either. Spotty in coverage. That's the only thing I can think of, because everywhere else he's rock solid.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh says ILB Daryl Smith is already becoming "a quarterback of the defense."

Signed to a cheap, one-year deal in June, Smith has already taken control of a starting job and is calling Baltimore's defensive plays. The Ravens feel Smith will prove "one of the best bargains of the offseason" if he stays healthy. Smith -- not rookie Arthur Brown -- is being asked to fill Ray Lewis' shoes.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Still don't get why we didn't bring him back. Oh well, at least he's in a better place now.