Sign in to follow this  
Jayrus

Seahawks Resign T-Jax

Free-agent quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will return to the Pacific Northwest, as expected. Jackson signed a one-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington. The news was first reported by KIRO-AM. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

With six years of experience in coordinator Darrell Bevell's offense, Jackson is a no-brainer addition for the Seahawks.

"We're seizing the opportunity that one of our guys is out there," coach Carroll said Thursday, via Danny O'Neil of KIRO-AM, "and we can bring him back in and he'll be able to help us. T-Jack's got a strong arm, he understands the system and he's tough as nails. That's a lot of good stuff."

Carroll billed Jackson versus Brady Quinn as "a really good battle" for the backup job behind Russell Wilson. Although Carroll was quick to point out that Quinn has been "near perfect" in offseason workouts, the reality is that Jackson's familiarity with Bevell's system will likely be the deciding factor.

"T-Jack is not going to come in here and just take a back seat," Carroll emphasized. "He's going to come in here and go for it."

Chris Wesseling @ NFL.com

It'll be Jackson as #2.

I was very much against him coming in to start in 2011. Not because I loved Hasselbeck. I had said for years that he was done. But Tarvaris is so mediocre.

Having watched him and how he handled himself that 7-9 season, I came to appreciate him a great deal. Not for his talent. More for him as a leader and team mate.

Tarvaris is a great backup. A guy who if he has to start 6 weeks, can keep the wheels turning and can go 3-3 or even 4-2 against quality competition if given a bit of luck or a great supporting cast. As a starter, that's not acceptable. But for a backup it is good.

More than anything though, he's a great team mate and still maintains the respect and trust of this team based on how he handled himself and played though pain in 2011 and how he handled the writing on the wall in 2012 with total class. I found myself becoming a Jackson fan by virtue of how he was the ideal QB prospect, minus the talent.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much agree with your assessment. Jackson gave us everything he had. It just wasn't enough. Personally I think Minnesota criminally mishandled him. They were always flip-flopping back and forth on whether he was their guy. They never committed to develop him. They'd go "You're our guy!" and then immediately go out and bring in someone else to replace him. I don't think they ever even let him play a full 16 games.

From what I've seen out of Jackson I think if he'd gone to a team that had been willing to develop him properly he could have become a decent starter. Unfortunately he went to Minnesota an played under Brad "How the fuck do you run a football team?" Childress. It's kind of a shame, but at least he'll make a nice backup for us.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 1

I never understood why people got so worked up with him coming in 2011. Yes, his play leaves a lot to be desired. He was never brought in to be an answer at QB, just merely a stopgap. We needed to move on from Hass, and in the lockout shortened offseason, TJack came in knowing Bevell's offense. He served the role exactly how Pete and John envisioned.

• Upvote 1

First off I agree with you all. I think there's no doubt in my mind that T-Jax knows his role with the team. He should recognize that Wilson is the starter and he really has no chance of taking that away from Wilson. He is definitely an upgrade over Quinn and Johnson, and I think he's more respected by his teammates and more familiar with the offense. Especially since he has potential in maintaining continuity with the offensive schemes because of his running ability. I think this is a fantastic move. It made too much sense for this not to happen. And he is more than a capable backup.

Jackson’s best year in 2011 with the ‘Hawks.

3,091 yards, 14 TDs, 13 INTs, 60.2% CMP, 79.2 Rating.

Superbowl.