Dutch

Defensive Acquisitions

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensive acquisitions do you believe will have the most impact or success?

• Darrelle Revis
    • Dashon Goldson
    • Elvis Dumervil
    • Michael Huff
    • Daryl Smith
    • Cliff Avril
    • Antoine Winfield
    • Dannell Elerbe
    • Brent Grimes
    • Keenan Lewis
    • Desmond Bishop
    • Osi umenyiora
    • Nnamdi Asomugha
    • Dominique Rodgers Cromartie
    • Cary Williams
    • Isreal Idonije
    • Michael Bennett

Oh most definitely. He was very good in 2010 and elite in 2011 IMO. Allowed one of, if not the lowest completion percentages into his coverage during his last healthy season.

But the reason I went with Grimes isn't because I like him better, but rather because I think the Dolphins needed help even more than the Bucs did at cornerback.

The Bucs corners minus Revis: Eric Wright, Johnthan Banks, Leonard Johnson, Anthony Gaitor, and Myron Lewis

The Dolphins corners minus Grimes: Richard Marshall, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Nolan Carroll, and R.J. Stanford

That's just how I approached these threads- not "who is the best player that was added" but rather where was the biggest combination of talent and need.

Fair enough about Grimes.

Both teams needed big upgrades at CB, but the Bucs pass defense was one of the worst in NFL history last year so I think adding Revis helps the Bucs more. The Dolphins at least had good safeties last year.

Fair enough about Grimes.

Both teams needed big upgrades at CB, but the Bucs pass defense was one of the worst in NFL history last year so I think adding Revis helps the Bucs more. The Dolphins at least had good safeties last year.

The Dolphins were better at corner last year, but then they lost Sean Smith. Had they tried to roll into the season w/out making a move, I think (and it's purely conjecture) that they would have been even worse off than the Bucs were in 2012.

But suffice it to say that Tampa got the better player of the two and should be much, much improved in the secondary. I merely think Miami needed help even more, that's all.

I voted for DRC. Now teams have to throw more at Champ and Harris

I voted for DRC. Now teams have to throw more at Champ and Harris

Or they could just throw at DRC, who was way worse than Tony Carter was last year.

Or they could just throw at DRC, who was way worse than Tony Carter was last year.

That's because PHI misused him. He's a man-to-man corner, and they had him playing zone

That's because PHI misused him. He's a man-to-man corner, and they had him playing zone

DRC got burnt plenty in man to man coverage.

This is one of the most repeated mantras about Nnamdi and DRC on the Internet and it's completely false. They flipped everything in the secondary to cater to those two with man schemes, and they still sucked.

This is one of the most repeated mantras about Nnamdi and DRC on the Internet and it's completely false. They flipped everything in the secondary to cater to those two with man schemes, and they still sucked.

Agreed but I don't think you can go off of what happened in Philly. Bad coaching all around, especially from Andy Reid and when players get stuck on a losing team a lot of people don't really want to try hard so I will chalk that up to just a bad situation. We will see this year on both of them now that they are on way better teams

Agreed but I don't think you can go off of what happened in Philly. Bad coaching all around, especially from Andy Reid and when players get stuck on a losing team a lot of people don't really want to try hard so I will chalk that up to just a bad situation. We will see this year on both of them now that they are on way better teams

I can understand hoping that the move from PHI to DEN helps him to improve (though it didn't work that way with Porter), but to be so confident that it absolutely will happen that you vote him the biggest defensive acquisition of the offseason? I know you didn't , but he did. And I find that to be kind of funny.

I can understand hoping that the move from PHI to DEN helps him to improve (though it didn't work that way with Porter), but to be so confident that it absolutely will happen that you vote him the biggest defensive acquisition of the offseason? I know you didn't , but he did. And I find that to be kind of funny.

What could make him the biggest defensive acquisition is that if he does improve and our coaching staff gets him back at a elite level it will make denvers secondary very very very difficult to throw on. If not, he was signed on a two year prove it deal and will be a decent number 3 corner or one of our other young corners will be our number 3

What could make him the biggest defensive acquisition is that if he does improve and our coaching staff gets him back at a elite level it will make denvers secondary very very very difficult to throw on. If not, he was signed on a two year prove it deal and will be a decent number 3 corner or one of our other young corners will be our number 3

What do you mean "back to an elite level?" He's never been elite. He was a decent cover corner at times in Arizona who became grossly overrated due to plus ball skills. 2009 can fairly be called a good year for him, but 2008 was bad and 2010 was a disaster. His final year with the Cardinals saw his PFF grade rank him as the 100th best cornerback in the league, and saw him benched at times due to poor play. His lack of progress made them willing to trade him and then he was terrible in Philadelphia.

And even if he ends up being good, how can his impact to an already good defense be considered greater than the additions of Revis or Grimes (better players) to Tampa and Miami (much needier pass defenses).

I think selecting him is a homer move.

What do you mean "back to an elite level?" He's never been elite. He was a decent cover corner at times in Arizona who became grossly overrated due to plus ball skills. 2009 can fairly be called a good year for him, but 2008 was bad and 2010 was a disaster. His final year with the Cardinals saw his PFF grade rank him as the 100th best cornerback in the league, and saw him benched at times due to poor play. His lack of progress made them willing to trade him and then he was terrible in Philadelphia.

And even if he ends up being good, how can his impact to an already good defense be considered greater than the additions of Revis or Grimes (better players) to Tampa and Miami (much needier pass defenses).

Crash being a homer? Say it isn't so.

Crash being a homer? Say it isn't so.

Lol. Actually it's HUMANCALC in this case.

Did I select him? No but if JDR gets him to the level he should already be at then Denver will field 3 top 10 corners which would obviously make him the best defensive addition. DRC is champ bailey athletically in his prime but doesn't have the work ethic. If he learns something from champ I hope it's that

Did I select him? No but if JDR gets him to the level he should already be at then Denver will field 3 top 10 corners which would obviously make him the best defensive addition. DRC is champ bailey athletically in his prime but doesn't have the work ethic. If he learns something from champ I hope it's that

1. No it wouldn't. Denver had the 3rd overall pass defense in 2012. So even if DRC was somehow coaxed by Del Rio to this ficticious elite level which he is supposed to have played at in the past, any gains would be small. Because the pass defense is already good. The Bucs, on the other hand, were dead last in pass defense. They gave up 1500 more pass yards than Denver did a year ago. And they added a guy who was the best CB in the game not that long ago (in reality, as opposed to just in your mind). Revis, or actually several of the players on that list, stand to make a WAY bigger impact than even a rehabilitated DRC.

2. Did you really just sully your hall of fame corner by comparing him to DRC? A lot of people have come and gone who have been atheltically similar to Bailey. Doesn't matter if you don't have coverage skills. And you're talking about a guy who has been a sieve in coverage for 4 out of the 5 seasons he's spent in the NFL. Oh, and he can't tackle to save his life.

I am actually hoping DRC starts the whole season. Between him and whoever is at SS, there will be holes in the Bronco secondary to pick on with regularity. And we can run to his side without having to block him, which would also be nice. I heard this same song last offseason about Tracy Porter, and then he was the same crappy corner that he was in New Orleans (Is he immune to the JDR miracle?). Bronco fans have somehow convinced themselves in the last 12 months that their coaching staff can turn anyone into gold. And man, if Bailey really IS done like he looked in that playoff game, the wheels are going to fall off that secondary in a big hurry. That would be fun to watch.

1. No it wouldn't. Denver had the 3rd overall pass defense in 2012. So even if DRC was somehow coaxed by Del Rio to this ficticious elite level which he is supposed to have played at in the past, any gains would be small. Because the pass defense is already good. The Bucs, on the other hand, were dead last in pass defense. They gave up 1500 more pass yards than Denver did a year ago. And they added a guy who was the best CB in the game not that long ago (in reality, as opposed to just in your mind). Revis, or actually several of the players on that list, stand to make a WAY bigger impact than even a rehabilitated DRC.

2. Did you really just sully your hall of fame corner by comparing him to DRC? A lot of people have come and gone who have been atheltically similar to Bailey. Doesn't matter if you don't have coverage skills. And you're talking about a guy who has been a sieve in coverage for 4 out of the 5 seasons he's spent in the NFL. Oh, and he can't tackle to save his life.

I am actually hoping DRC starts the whole season. Between him and whoever is at SS, there will be holes in the Bronco secondary to pick on with regularity. And we can run to his side without having to block him, which would also be nice. I heard this same song last offseason about Tracy Porter, and then he was the same crappy corner that he was in New Orleans (Is he immune to the JDR miracle?). Bronco fans have somehow convinced themselves in the last 12 months that their coaching staff can turn anyone into gold. And man, if Bailey really IS done like he looked in that playoff game, the wheels are going to fall off that secondary in a big hurry. That would be fun to watch.

Like I said athletically bailey and DRC are built a lot alike. They both have extremely swift hips. Porter was playing really well until oh wait he had a couple seizures. Champ shut down wr all year until he played one of the fastest wr in the league in -5 degree weather. Old mans quads get a little tight in -5 degree weather. So your going with that DRC won't improve, oh well we still have 2 top 10 corners and then one average corner to play on 3rd down. now what happens if DRC does take to the coaching? Nobody will be able to throw at all on Denver.

Just wait and see our SS. We have a couple guys competing and we have 2 outstanding young players who are may have a HUGE impact

Like I said athletically bailey and DRC are built a lot alike. They both have extremely swift hips. Porter was playing really well until oh wait he had a couple seizures. Champ shut down wr all year until he played one of the fastest wr in the league in -5 degree weather. Old mans quads get a little tight in -5 degree weather. So your going with that DRC won't improve, oh well we still have 2 top 10 corners and then one average corner to play on 3rd down. now what happens if DRC does take to the coaching? Nobody will be able to throw at all on Denver.

Just wait and see our SS. We have a couple guys competing and we have 2 outstanding young players who are may have a HUGE impact

Porter had one good game (week one) and then went back to his crappy self for the next 5 weeks before his issues cropped up.

You and HUMANCALC legitimately overrate your own talent more than any football fans I've ever encountered.

• Upvote 2

Porter had one good game (week one) and then went back to his crappy self for the next 5 weeks before his issues cropped up.

You and HUMANCALC legitimately overrate your own talent more than any football fans I've ever encountered.

We might as well not even play the 2013 seasons. Just go ahead and give the Broncos the Superbowl trophy now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We might as well not even play the 2013 seasons. Just go ahead and give the Broncos the Superbowl trophy now.

Right?

Mostly because the crappy players they signed are going to be turned into elite All-Pros by Jack freaking Del Rio.

Porter isn't on the team anymore and is one of the reasons we lost to the texans. I couldn't care any less about porter because he was replaced by the most underrated corner in the league. I don't overrate our own talent, I'm just educated on how Elway has drafted and how the talent should perform

Right?

Mostly because the crappy players they signed are going to be turned into elite All-Pros by Jack freaking Del Rio.

Well we went from the 22nd best defense under Dennis Allen to the 2nd best defense under JDR with the same talent so ya I assume one of the best defensive coordinators in the league will get more out of players then a bum offensive line coach

Porter isn't on the team anymore and is one of the reasons we lost to the texans. I couldn't care any less about porter because he was replaced by the most underrated corner in the league. I don't overrate our own talent, I'm just educated on how Elway has drafted and how the talent should perform

Way to dodge the point.

Last offseason Bronco fans were all excited about Tracy Porter coming in and getting rehabilitated by the black voodoo of the Broncos' coaching staff and so he could be good again. It didn't work.

Now they're saying the same things about DRC.

Well we went from the 22nd best defense under Dennis Allen to the 2nd best defense under JDR with the same talent so ya I assume one of the best defensive coordinators in the league will get more out of players then a bum offensive line coach

That's called Von Miller no longer being a rookie.

That's called Von Miller no longer being a rookie.

So Von miller accounted for all 53 sacks and had our DT ranked as the number 2 duo against the run and Von miller got Wesley Woodyard to the top weak side linebacker in the league? I'm sure Von miller is responsible for Chris Harris being one of the top corners in the league. Von miller is a huge element but there is a mass of talent on the defines due to Elway committing to improving the defense

This guy.

So much lolz.

Wesley Woodward is not the best weakside linebacker in the league. Please just stop.

• Upvote 2