Sign in to follow this  
rzb

Gold Cup 2013

Wednesday - Semifinals

7PM ET - USA vs. Honduras

10PM ET - Panama vs. Mexico

Sunday - Final

4PM ET - USA/Honduras vs. Panama/Mexico

This tournament has me stoked about the US in the World Cup. The "streaky" label attached to the team is slowly fading away, especially with dominating wins like the one against El Salvador yesterday. The best part is that this is our B team! Honduras is a strong team, beating Cuba by more a larger goal diff than we did. I feel that Klinsmann will have a plan set to continue to the final though.

I'd say that Panama is the better team on the other end of the bracket but Mexico could definitely upset. If Mexico did win, it'd bring better ratings to the final.. that'd be about it. If we advance and face Panama, I'd say it'd be a harder game than if we faced Mexico.

Anyone else following this tournament?

I've watched some of the U.S.' games. Funny enough I know more about European teams than I do my own country, but we're looking good. Klinsmann has given this team an edge that we were lacking like you said RZB. It reminds me of the German team he got to the semi-final in Germany '06.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this tourney based on the competition, but it's nice to see convincing wins. Donovan getting back to form is always a plus, too. Jurgen must include him in his plans for the future.

so no Klinsmann for the final tomorrow, we'll see how much of an impact that has on the team, fortunately I don't think the coach has that much of an impact on a soccer game during the game, most of their work is in pregame preparation (at least that's what I would imagine, anyone who's watched more soccer or just knows more about the sport please feel free to correct me)

so no Klinsmann for the final tomorrow, we'll see how much of an impact that has on the team, fortunately I don't think the coach has that much of an impact on a soccer game during the game, most of their work is in pregame preparation (at least that's what I would imagine, anyone who's watched more soccer or just knows more about the sport please feel free to correct me)

You're right to an extent. There's tactical decisions to be made during the game based on a variety of factors (scoreline, opponent's strategy/formation/personnel change, etc) and you'd rather the guy you trust to be your manager make those calls rather than the assistant. Funny enough, most Germans feel his specialty is motivating rather than actually being a "coach."

Regardless, no doubt in my mind there was communication going on during the final between Klinsmann and the staff. With the technology nowadays that's very difficult to control.

Regardless, no doubt in my mind there was communication going on during the final between Klinsmann and the staff. With the technology nowadays that's very difficult to control.

I'm sure, and I think the commentators even said at one point that the guy sitting next to Klinsmann in the booth was likely the quickest of his assistants in case he needed a runner