Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Cardinals sign John Abraham

Per Rotoworld.com:

Cardinals signed DE/OLB John Abraham, formerly of the Falcons, to a two-year contract.

Abraham, 35, visited the Cardinals on Wednesday, and they had a contract offer out to him later that night. After missing several games due to injury while with the Jets early in his career, Abraham has missed just two games over the last six seasons. With 122 career sacks, he's the league's active leader. Abraham is easily the Cardinals' top edge rusher, and his addition may be the final nail in the coffin of OLB O'Brien Schofield. Jul 25 - 4:32 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Will be interested to see the contract numbers. Wondering if he got what he wanted or had to settle for whatever he could get.

I saw guys like Freeney and Abraham better suited in 4-3 schemes as situational pass rushers.

I saw guys like Freeney and Abraham better suited in 4-3 schemes as situational pass rushers.

Which is basically what they'll be. The Cardinals and Chargers are both technically 3-4 teams, but SD at least was in 4 man front sub packages more than 50% of the time on defense last year. Pags has already said that Freeney will basically exclusively rush the pass as a down end (which is almost what he did in Indy last year-- 86% of his pass rushers were as a down end). I assume the Cards will do the same, but it's worth noting that Abraham did a fair share of rushing from a standing position last season.

Yeah, a lot of teams have ventured into that direction. It's pretty difficult to just label a defense as a specific 3-4 or 4-3. Teams are being more versatile having a mix of both packages. I think Abraham still has some juice left in the tank though. I wish him success.