Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Preseason Injuries 2013

Did you guys know that there are more season ending injuries in August than in all of the rest of the NFL season lumped together? I think it's getting worse now that these guys practice less and have to ramp up their conditioning faster.

This will be almost impossible to determine. You'd need to pore over all the injury listings for a good 5-10 years prior to 2012 in order to just get an accurate baseline.

Every single year, preseason injuries are billed as worse than ever. I think it's entirely anecdotal. We simply fail to remember the injuries of years past and instead focus on the injuries of today. I'd be willing to bet that the numbers are pretty consistent year in and year out.

Chris kuper has been cleared to practice after having the offseason surgery on his ankle and is slowly being worked back in on the Denver oline. Good to see one of our better oline man healthy again

Tom Brady sprains left knee at Patriots practice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000229900/article/tom-brady-sprains-left-knee-at-patriots-practice

Any Tom Brady injury news is noteworthy. But initial signs following Brady's apparent left knee injury suffered at Wednesday's practice are promising.

Brady left practice after being hit in his left knee, according to multiple reporters on the scene. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport has a source with knowledge of the injury who says Brady has a knee sprain and it's "not serious." Brady will undergo more tests later Wednesday night, per Rapoport.

The Patriots are practicing against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this week at the Patriots facilities in Foxborough.

Greg Bedard of TheMMQB.com watched Brady grab his left knee after getting hit and limp off before briefly returning to the field. Brady reportedly did not look comfortable and then had the knee checked out by trainers. A fan video of the injury quickly surfaced.

After talking with coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Brady left the field. Brady tore his left ACL in Week 1 of the 2008 season.

Buccaneers defensive end Adrian Clayborn confirmed after practice, via the Tampa Bay Times, that he was bull rushing Patriots offensive tackle Nate Solder when Solder fell into Brady.

"I don't believe it's serious, but I don't know," Patriots president Jonathan Kraft told 98.5 in Boston earlier Wednesday.

Jets OLB Quinton Coples fractured his ankle in Saturday night's preseason game and could be sidelined 3-4 weeks.

It's a hairline fracture for Coples, and it's not expected to require surgery. Last year's first-round pick, Coples suffered the injury when he landed awkwardly after jumping to swat a Chad Henne pass. Antwan Barnes will fill in at outside 'backer while Coples is out. Barnes is actually a more explosive edge rusher than Coples, but this is still a big blow to the Jets' defense. Coples can play multiple positions and is a force versus the run. He's unlikely to be ready for Week 1.

Source: ESPN New York

According to the Nashville Tennessean, "early indications" are Kendall Wright has avoided a ligament tear in his right knee.

Beat writer Jim Wyatt believes Wright suffered a sprain as opposed to an ACL tear, which would be fantastic news after the second-year wideout admitted he was "pretty worried" about the injury. Wright is undergoing an MRI on Saturday night. A sprained MCL or something of that nature would only cost him 2-4 weeks. A torn ligament would have knocked Wright out for the year.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Broncos LE Derek Wolfe (neck) passed a "battery of tests" after departing Saturday's game against the Seahawks, and may join the team for its flight back to Denver.

It's remarkably good news after Wolfe had to be immobilized and loaded into an ambulance on the field. He was evaluated for a "cervical spine injury," which could have potentially been career-ending. As it is, there's now an outside chance Wolfe could be ready for next Saturday's preseason game against the Rams. We highly doubt that will be the case, but it appears the pass-rushing deficient Broncos have dodged a major bullet.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

Broncos LCB Champ Bailey suffered a foot injury in Saturday night's preseason game and is on crutches.

Bailey's left foot is in a boot. X-rays came back negative, but a Sunday MRI will show the extent of the injury. The 35-year-old left late in the first half after he felt something "strain on the bottom middle of his foot" when a Seahawks player pushed his foot off Bailey's. We'll know more following the MRI.

Source: Denver Post

Dustin Keller is done for the season after suffering a knee injury in Saturday night's preseason game against the Texans.

The exact nature of Keller's injury is unknown at the moment, but he likely tore at least one of the major ligaments in his knee. It's a tough blow for both Keller and the Dolphins. Keller was legitimately excited for a bounce-back season after hamstring issues ruined his 2012 campaign. Signed to a one-year, $4.25 million deal, Keller had plans to rehab his value and land a multi-year contract next March. Instead, he'll have to again settle for a one-year pact.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

• Upvote 1

Dustin Keller (knee) out for Miami Dolphins' season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231458/article/dustin-keller-knee-out-for-miami-dolphins-season

The Miami Dolphins expected the worst after Dustin Keller suffered a grisly right knee injury in Saturday's preseason loss to the Houston Texans.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirmed the inevitable Sunday, reporting that Keller will be lost for the entire season, according to a source informed of the injury. Specifically, Rapoport reported Keller tore his ACL, PCL, MCL and also dislocated his kneecap. That's similar to string of injuries suffered by current 49ers running back Marcus Lattimore last October.

Armando Salguero of The Miami Herald tweeted that doctors also fear Keller suffered nerve damage.

The injury leaves a gaping hole in Miami's roster. The team was busy calling around for tight end help Sunday morning, per Salguero, but Keller's pass-catching ability won't be replaced.

He was brought in to give young quarterback Ryan Tannehill a sure-handed target underneath, one who would keep defenses honest and spring Mike Wallace free downfield. Now a combination of Charles Clay, Michael Egnew and rookie Dion Sims will attempt to fill Keller's shoes. Miami will be forced to realign its offensive approach through the air.

For Keller, it's a crushing blow after he signed a one-year contract this offseason, essentially betting on himself to produce a monster season in Miami. After witnessing his early chemistry with Tannehill, that seemed likely, but now the Dolphins are left to pick up the pieces.

With an injury of this magnitude, it's fair to wonder if and when Dustin Keller will play again.

Dam, this blows.

Stephon Gilmore to miss eight weeks for Buffalo Bills

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234324/article/stephon-gilmore-to-miss-eight-weeks-for-buffalo-bills

Buffalo Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore was set to take a big leap in his second season as one of the best young cornerbacks in the NFL. His ascent will have to wait awhile.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that Gilmore is expected to miss roughly eight weeks with a fractured hand. That would knock him out roughly five to six games. Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports 1 first reported the news.

It's a crushing blow for new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. The former New York Jets coordinator was going to count on Gilmore to cover the opposing team's best receiver, as Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis once did in New York. This injury will limit Pettine's creativity and force a rough-looking starting cornerback group to start the season.

Leodis McKelvin and Crezdon Butler, the team's likely starters, have a date with Tom Brady in Week 1. The Bills don't know who is their starting quarterback either. This is not how you want to start a season.

This just blows. I was looking forward to seeing Gilmore this year. He was one of the better cornerbacks in the league last year with a very underrated season. This sucks for bills fans to lose such a promising young player for half the season.

Tony Moeaki broke his shoulder. Shocker.

Daniel Jeremiah's favorite old scouting line: "Fat guys stay fat, hurt guys stay hurt."

Will Smith out for Saints' season with knee injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000234489/article/will-smith-out-for-saints-season-with-knee-injury

Injuries continue to rock the New Orleans Saints' front seven this summer.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that outside linebacker Will Smith is expected to miss the 2013 season with a knee injury, according to a source who spoke with Smith. The knee injury happened Sunday against the Houston Texans.

ProFootballTalk first reported the news.

It's another punishing blow to a Rob Ryan defense that has already lost outside linebacker Victor Butler and defensive end Kenyon Coleman to likely season-ending injuries. Inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Smith was attempting to make the transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker in Ryan's new scheme. He led the team with six sacks last season. At 32, it's possible he's played his final down.

Ryan, meanwhile, must figure out a way to put pressure on the opposing quarterback without his top two pass rushers. Outside linebacker was a position of concern before the injuries. Now it looks like an outright liability.

Chargers placed WR Dan DePalma, WR Mike Willie, and FB Chris Gronkowski on I/R. I'm not sure how serious their injuries are but to me this looks 100% like a stash move to keep all three until next season when we will have more space to keep them.

Chargers placed WR Dan DePalma, WR Mike Willie, and FB Chris Gronkowski on I/R. I'm not sure how serious their injuries are but to me this looks 100% like a stash move to keep all three until next season when we will have more space to keep them.

I can see that being the case for Mike Willie.

I can see that being the case for Mike Willie.

Do DePalma and Gronkowski actually have season ending injuries?

Do DePalma and Gronkowski actually have season ending injuries?

Heck if I know. Willie is just the one I can see them trying to stash for the future.