BC

Darryl Richardson is the Rams starting runningback

Daryl Richardson has won the St. Louis Rams' running back derby.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the expected with reporters on Monday, announcing that Richardson will start in Week 1 against the Arizona Cardinals.

0ap1000000229609.jpgRichardson entered camp in a competition with Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, and Benny Cunningham. Pead -- a second-round pick in 2012 -- failed to make an impact with his first-team reps Saturday against the Green Bay Packers.

It's worth noting that Pead wasn't going to be part of theRams' gameplan against the Cards anyway. Pead is suspended Week 1 for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

We're not ready to give up on Pead, who still has the most upside of any back on the Rams' roster. (We didn't making him a "Making The Leap" candidate for nothing.) Still, Richardson gets the first crack at this thing.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

I didn't realize it was a competition. I kind of assumed it was Richardson's job from the jump.

Anyone who saw him last year( I saw him at least a couple times and then some) knew it was his job.