Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

Eric Church's new album

This will probably only garner interest from BWare but instead of PMing him I made it a thread in case anyone else wanted to comment.

What do you think of his new single 'The Outsiders'? I think it's awesome. I wish it was a bit longer but the sound is great. It definitely has a country rock feel to it which is nice in a time where a lot of country is fusing into pop.

I love the spoken word intro. People keep saying it's hip hop. I don't think simply speaking a few words makes something rap/hip hop. Rapping is as stylistic as singing is, and therefore it's not simply speaking.

My problem with the song is that it's clumsy and lacks direction. There's no story to it. Eric Church and Casey Beathard as a writing team are much better than this. They've written some of his best songs (The Hard Way, Can't Take it With You, Where She Told Me to Go, and Homeboy to name a few). This song is somewhat pointless, lyrically. It's got a great sound, has an anthemic chorus, and overall has a good message for Church's rabid fanbase. As a song though, it pales in comparison to his best work. I have faith that just like Homeboy wasn't a real indicator of Chief's sound, The Outsiders won't be the same with the new album.

Eric has always said that recorded music should be something you can strip down to just you and an acoustic guitar. That's not the case with this new song, and I'm disappointed, to be honest. It's a good song. I'll gladly listen to it over FGL or Blake Shelton's newest pop shit show, but as I've already said, The Outsiders pales in comparison to what EC is capable of.

I'm a big fan of the new single. It's a little more poppy than what country has experienced in the past, but I am a big fan of this direction. I also love My Kinda Night by Luke Bryan which also has the same sort of feel.

Eric Church is probably one of my top 3 favorite country singers/groups right now. The other two being Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line in no specific order.

I'm a big fan of the new single. It's a little more poppy than what country has experienced in the past, but I am a big fan of this direction. I also love My Kinda Night by Luke Bryan which also has the same sort of feel.

Eric Church is probably one of my top 3 favorite country singers/groups right now. The other two being Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line in no specific order.

Everybody's got their own tastes, but I have no idea how you fit those three into the same category. I don't think "The Outsiders" has any pop in it. It's like a prog rock song, haha.