Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Texans @ Titans

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131229010&home=10&vis=34

(AP) -- It's been a forgettable season for the Houston Texans, who haven't tasted victory since beating the Tennessee Titans all the way back in Week 2.

They'd really like to go out with another win against them.

The Texans again try to snap the longest losing streak in franchise history Sunday when they visit a Titans team that could be playing its last game under coach Mike Munchak.

After entering the year with Super Bowl aspirations, Houston (2-13) instead heads into the last week of the regular season with the worst record in the NFL. The Texans, who lost All-Pro running back Arian Foster to a season-ending back injury Nov. 3 and fired coach Gary Kubiak earlier this month, have dropped 13 straight since beating Tennessee 30-24 in overtime on Sept. 15.

"Nobody wants to be in this position, but we made our bed so we have to lay in it," star wideout Andre Johnson said. "Hopefully we can get a win Sunday so we don't have to deal with this losing streak the whole offseason."

After winning a franchise-best 12 games and its second consecutive AFC South title last season, Houston now is on the verge of matching its franchise-worst 2-14 record from 2005.

"I just want to win. I don't have any feelings. I just want to win," said J.J. Watt, who has 9 1/2 sacks after having a league-high 20 1/2 last year. "I can definitely say all year long, nobody's ever given up. Nobody's ever laid down and said, 'We're just going to ride it out.' Guys come to work and guys put in the effort to try and win."

"We definitely would like to get this win headed into the offseason, at least end it on a positive note."

The Texans have scored a league-low 15.8 points per game since beating the Titans. Matt Schaub's three-yard touchdown pass to DeAndre Hopkins in OT gave Houston its third straight victory over Tennessee and seventh in 10 meetings.

Tennessee (6-9) had dropped three straight and eight of 10 before winning 20-16 at Jacksonville last Sunday. It could be too little, too late, though, for Munchak, whose future with the team is very up in the air.

Munchak has gone 21-26 during three seasons at the helm, including a 2-20 record against winning teams. Tennessee, which hasn't made the playoffs since 2008, has dropped five straight at home for the first time since 1996 as the Houston Oilers.

"To win a game at home, it's big to finish a season that way so that's all I'm focused on," Munchak said. "That's all I can control in the next week and that's what we'll concentrate on."

The Texans are coming off last Sunday's 37-13 rout at the hands of Denver. Schaub, filling in for the injured Case Keenum (thumb), threw for 176 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions in his first start since Week 6.

Johnson had four catches to reach 103 for the season - second in the league. He's gone over 100 five times in his career, tying Wes Welker's NFL record.

"It's all fine and dandy," Johnson said, "but I only play the game for one reason, and that's to win. It's a great thing to happen, but under these circumstances it really doesn't matter."

While it's unclear who the Texans will turn to at quarterback, interim coach Wade Phillips named Jonathan Grimes his starting running back with Ben Tate (broken ribs) and Deji Karim (broken collarbone) both out. Dennis Johnson (bruised hip) is uncertain to be available.

"It's just another opportunity," Grimes said of his first career start. "I'm not trying to buy into too much. I'm just trying to do my best."

Grimes would appear to have a favorable matchup against a Titans run defense which has been gashed for 609 yards and 11 TDs during the five-game skid at home.

Shonn Greene and Chris Johnson, meanwhile, combined for 181 rushing yards last week as the Titans recorded a season-high 44 carries. They are 6-2 when running the ball at least 29 times compared to 0-7 when they don't.

Johnson needs 50 rushing yards to become the sixth player in NFL history to record 1,000 in each of his first six seasons. He ran for 96 against the Texans earlier this year.

Titans declared WR Kenny Britt, S George Wilson, WR Michael Preston, CB Khalid Wooten, OL Kevin Matthews, RT David Stewart, and DT Jurrell Casey inactive for Week 17 against the Texans.

Britt is set to become a free agent in March and finishes his 2013 season with 11 catches for 96 yards. Casey has a knee injury and Stewart is battling a shoulder issue.

Case Keenum (thumb) is inactive for Week 17 against the Titans, and Matt Schaub will start at quarterback.

Keenum has been battling a sprained right (throwing) thumb for the past couple weeks, so Schaub will make what likely will be his final start as a member of the Texans.
Also inactive for the Texans are RB Dennis Johnson (hip), WR DeVier Posey, FB Toben Opurum, OL Alex Kupper, OL Cody White, and LB Joe Mays.

Texans clinch the right to draft Teddard Bridgewater.