Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

True Detective

Anyone else watching this? Great show in my opinion. Excellent writing and performances all around. This is the best work I've seen Matthew McConaughey ever do. It's scary how close some of his character's perspectives on life I've often shared at times. Woody Harrelson is great too. The first two episodes are kind of "slow" but it sets up beautifully. By the third episode you're hooked but this past fourth episode was fucking WILD.

If you're not interested at all in watching this series I have a video for you here. I'm a huge camera work nerd, I love long takes and this last episode executed a 6 minute long take in outstanding fashion. You feel like it's a video game or that you're immersed in the actual scene. So...

SPOILER ALERT...

..IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHECK OUT THIS SHOW WATCH THEM IN ORDER AND DON'T WATCH THIS VIDEO FIRST...

..FOR ALL THOSE WHO DON'T GIVE A FUCK HERE YOU GO... from 1:20 on it's all one continuous take:

Definitely a great show. Not sure how they are going to prolong this into multiple seasons though... The way the show is set up and the narrative style it uses just doesn't really lend itself to a long term solution with some big changes.

Definitely a great show. Not sure how they are going to prolong this into multiple seasons though... The way the show is set up and the narrative style it uses just doesn't really lend itself to a long term solution with some big changes.

Apparently McConaughey and Harrelson are only signed on one season. The writer said after the first season the second will move on to a completely different story with a different cast — not unlike how the Wire did. Could go great if they get more good actors with the same writing, or maybe the new cast might drop the ball. We'll see.

Wow, definitely quite a surprise there. The writing is definitely fantastic, so I don't want to make it seem like losing Matt and Woody would like.. kill the show. But they just sell it so well. I don't know if I really want anyone else. I mean, I will give it a shot, but... They have set the bar so incredibly high. I don't know what they can do....

Wow, definitely quite a surprise there. The writing is definitely fantastic, so I don't want to make it seem like losing Matt and Woody would like.. kill the show. But they just sell it so well. I don't know if I really want anyone else. I mean, I will give it a shot, but... They have set the bar so incredibly high. I don't know what they can do....

Gonna be tough to follow for sure. I remember with the Wire everyone wasn't happy with different leads in season 2 in a different industry (from drug dealing to drug smuggling), but in hindsight a lot of people still liked season 2. I'll probably miss McConaughey's character for sure because he's so different, Harrelson's character probably not because he's kind of the typical redneckish cop archetype — though he plays it very well.