Sign in to follow this  
Vin

'Braska DE Randy Gregory declares

Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2015 NFL draft.

Listed at 6-foot-6, 240, Gregory piled up ten tackles for loss and seven sacks across 11 regular season appearances as a junior, adding two kick blocks and a forced fumble. Rotoworld draft maven Josh Norris considers Gregory "the top defensive front prospect in this class," and a potential top-five overall pick. See where Gregory lands in Norris' Top-20 Mock Draft at the link below.

• Upvote 1

I'm torn with this prospect.

He really does seem like a prospect that doesn't have a natural fit in the NFL. Wildly productive in college, I struggle to see where he will play and make a mark at the next level.

Personally, I would take Vic Beasley over Gregory. Beasley can very easily slot as an OLB at the next level. His quickness and fluid change of direction is outstanding. I don't see that same kind of versatility with Gregory.

From our local prospective, I even have a difficult time comparing him to Bruce Irvin who Seattle has successfully converted to OLB. Irvin has Gregory beat probably by more than a full tenth of a second in the 40. Irvin also has him beat by almost 20 pounds. Irvin has excellent coverage ability and mobility. And was also similarly prolific in his pass rush production in college.

Realistically, if I go and look at Irvin's old games, I'm thinking Gregory is a very very distant second as a prospect. And despite better speed and size, Irvin had to move to OLB because he was still too slight to effectively run as a LEO end. A position where run defense can be a liability in terms of the scheme.

In general, I'm more leery of prospects like Shawn Oakman/Dion Jordan who look like a monster on the hoof, but they make very little impact on the games you watch. Gregory is definitely the opposite of that. But I don't see him plying his trade as a 4-3 end. I see him more like a Melvin Ingram -- probably much faster than his 4.79, but Ingram had great agility numbers. Ingram likewise has 20 pounds in Gordon's listed weight. And Ingram also had to convert to linebacker.

The kinds of tweener guys I'm trying to compare him to are guys taken (and reached for) in the teens. I don't see Gregory as a top 10 prospect unless he simply blows up the combine at a much bigger weight. His physique will limit him as listed. He has the tape. And the tools. But really his upside is going to be tethered to his ability to switch positions.

• Upvote 1

Would probably need a 3-4 team that will fit him solely for a pass-rushing purposes. I love me some tweeners but they have to fall into a perfect situation or they're fucked. Figuring he'll be Aldon Smith 2.0.