Sign in to follow this  
Vin

20 year-old TE Maxx Williams declares

Minnesota TE Maxx Williams will forego his final two seasons of college eligibility and enter the 2015 NFL draft.

We're excited about this one. Listed at 6-foot-4, 250, Williams racked up 36 catches for 569 yards and eight touchdowns as a 20-year-old redshirt sophomore in 2014. He was the Gophers' leading receiver in every category by a significant margin. Williams won't turn 21 until just before the 2015 draft, and looks like a future difference maker as a pass-catching tight end. We suspect Williams' "stock" will rise throughout the winter and early spring and he'll end up being drafted as high as the top 15.

I feel old.

Watched him live more than a few times this year because for some reason I caught a lot of Gophers games since they tended to play before I had to go to work. I like him :yep:

If he had a more reliable QB than Leidner (who is Jekyll/Hyde with how he plays), he would have been just as good. Stats actually might not have been as good because a better QB would have spread the ball around more, but his impact would have been amplified with a game changing QB. Leidner was just so damn up-and-down. He played pretty well against Iowa and Missouri (Maxx's best games), but there were also times where he was arguably the worst starter in the B1G.

EDIT: What really made Maxx our best threat on offense is that he was also so damn good at blocking. Probably had his share of slip ups in blocking, but for two years now he's received praise for opening up the outside edge for Cobb and our stable of backs. Doing that at the next level will be MUCH harder, but Maxx Williams (IMO) has the ability to be a great TE in the NFL. Might be saying that out of Gopher bias, but he's a great player. Really sad to see him go.

Edited by OSUViking