Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Jon Runyan joining league offices

Former NFL tackle and United States Congressman Jon Runyan has been named Vice President of Policy and Rules Administration, the National Football League announced today.
Runyan, drafted by the Houston Oilers in the fourth round of the 1996 NFL Draft out of Michigan, played 207 games in his 14-year NFL career (1996-2009) with Houston/Tennessee, Philadelphia and San Diego and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2002. After his playing career, Runyan was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives for New Jersey's 3rd congressional district, serving from 2011-2015.
In NFL Football Operations, Runyan will oversee club and game-related initiatives related to players. He will serve as Commissioner Roger Goodell's designee for on-field discipline as agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA in Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and also supervise the Uniform and Protective Equipment Inspection Program.

I think it's great to have a former player in that position, otherwise I don't really have much commentary

Hopefully Big Jon can bring some of the consistency to the punishments the league hands out that he did playing RT in the NFL all those years. If so the league is definitely headed in the right direction. It is interesting The NFL hired a guy to handle these matters that was a notoriously nasty and borderline dirty player his whole career. Jon has a great reputation off the field and is one of my all time favorite players but this is somewhat of a surprise for me tbh.