Phenomenal TJ

What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I am 21:34 in as I type this and there is just so much stuff to do it is scary. Just became a werewolf and had a fucking blast terrorizing the caves and outlying farms in the world. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Another werewolf! :)

I just laid siege to, and took, an entire city with an "army," (a couple dozen guys really doesn't qualify as an army to me).

Basically, it was my character and one other guy against the entire city guard backed up by the Legion, (I sided with the Stormcloaks). Fortunately once we took out their leader, the rest of them stood down.

I'm about 25 hours in myself, at level 20. Dragons are suddenly a lot harder to kill, they are no longer mere Dragons, but Frost Dragons, Blood Dragons, etc. My 30% fire resist boots are no longer an auto-win against a dragon. (The Frost Dragon I ran into ate me when I still had 130 hp.)

It helps a lot that I found an awesome enchantment on an axe, (and promptly disenchanted it so I could use it on any other weapon). It does 10 fire damage on hit, *and* it soul-traps the target for 3 seconds. If someone wants to know where to find it, just PM me. It's part of a mini-quest line, so I'm pretty sure the enchantment on the item is always the same.

I had about a hundred empty soul gems since I hadn't used Soul Trap all that much. So. much. gold.

Edited by Thanatos19

Empty (character-wise) companions make me sad.

Empty (character-wise) companions make me sad.

The biggest and most glaring flaw in all of Bethesda's RPGs, really.

On the other hand, I don't have to worry if one of them gets killed. They're just hired hands. (Although it is funny when we're talking about attacking a city and my house-carl, who is from that city, is just sitting there listening, but makes no comment. And even helps me take the city.)

I don't understand why they don't fix it. Fallout:New Vegas had some pretty good interactions, and a character-specific quest, but nothing like Bioware's RPGs. If we could somehow combine the character interactions in the Dragon Age and/or Mass Effect series, with gameplay like Skyrim, there would be no need to ever make another RPG.

Apparently, we're not capable of doing that yet.

Edited by Thanatos19

Yeah, I think that is the biggest problem with Bethesda's games, or atleast with Oblivion and Skyrim. But it's not just with companions, but with NPCs in general. There's something about these games that makes me not care about anyone. I think in Oblivion, Martin was the only character in the entire game that I ended up caring about.

and ironically enough he ends up dying in the end

. Hopefully there will be some characters in Skyrim that I care about, but past history says that there won't be.

Just walked from Riverwood to the College at Winterhold. Talk about a major pain in the ass. Along the way, near Whiterun, I found some bandits (killed them) and then stole their horse. Has to be the slowest horse I have ever seen... lol

Also... My brother informed me today that he is averaging 11 hours of play time per day, since release.

Yeah, I think that is the biggest problem with Bethesda's games, or atleast with Oblivion and Skyrim. But it's not just with companions, but with NPCs in general. There's something about these games that makes me not care about anyone. Hopefully there will be some characters in Skyrim that I care about, but past history says that there won't be.

I do like the Stormcloaks' second-in-command as a character, can't remember his name off-hand, as well as the hunter for the Companions, Aela.

But nothing like Bioware games, not even close.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212599p1.html

BioWare has confirmed that Mass Effect 3's storyline may change in response to fan feedback. Following a mistakenly-released beta that led to leaked story files, co-founder Greg Zeschuk says that the development team is actively paying attention to fans' input.

"We listen to our fans all of the time," Muzyka said. "We listen to them on the forums, their feedback from stories. We're reading it all. If we can get ideas out of it that will make the game better, sure. We're not adverse to taking feedback. That's part of our core values, is humility. Any time we get a good idea from fans... they're our audience. They keep us in business."

He added that the leak actually had a positive effect overall, as it led to more interest in the game as fans discussed the new content. Still, the development team did feel the effects of an unfinished game reaching the eyes of fans.

"It is hard on a team when they see their work revealed in an early form like that. It was a pre-release demo. The script was certainly not intended to be released in that form and that early," Muzyka said. "But they're going to get through it because they're a strong group. They really care about delivering a great game to the fans. They're committed to making this the best Mass Effect."

Finally, Muzyka said that he hopes fans won't read the leaked information, and warns that it will affect their experience while playing the game. "Don't spoil the story. The fun of the story is uncovering things and exploring and finding new points to adventure in. I hope they don't lose that joy of discovery."

Mass Effect 3 will be released on March 6, 2012. A demo will be coming in January.

Source: Eurogamer.

I am not going to read anything of the sort :nope: Spoilers suck... Especially this far in advance... lmao

Yeah, there is not a chance in hell of me reading the story from the final game in one of the greatest video game story lines of all time before teh game is actually released. I fucking love the series, why would I want to ruin the entire thing for myself?

I am desperately hoping that they don't "fix" Mass Effect the same way they tried to "fix" Dragon Age. If ME3 is made like DA2 was, I think I'll cry.

I do like the idea of having (this is a very minor spoiler about gameplay, and has nothing to do with the plot)

action mode, story mode, and RPG mode, if RPG mode is like ME1, action mode is like ME2, and story mode is somewhere in-between

Edited by Thanatos19

Regarding Mass Effect 3, (these are all fan-made, just fyi, but they are very good.)

The third one has a huge spoiler regarding the ME2 Arrival DLC, if you intend to get that and haven't done so yet, don't watch this one.

Edited by Thanatos19

I picked up Assassin's Creed: Revelations earlier today, haven't really gotten into it. I am still in Masyaf tracking the Captain.

I got my ass handed to me by a fucking Blood Dragon in Skyrim this afternoon. I was kind of annoyed that its flames caused more damage to me than any of the other 8 dragons I have slayed. Also, the fucker would not stay on the ground after two rounds, and I didn't have any arrows (not really a fan of archery) to take it on with.

Edited by Duck Fallas

I just spent like half an hour doing alchemy with all the crap I have been collecting so far... Barely gained ANY experience.

Worst. Skill. Ever.

I picked up Assassin's Creed: Revelations earlier today, haven't really gotten into it. I am still in Masyaf tracking the Captain.

I got my ass handed to me by a fucking Blood Dragon in Skyrim this afternoon. I was kind of annoyed that its flames caused more damage to me than any of the other 8 dragons I have slayed. Also, the fucker would not stay on the ground after two rounds, and I didn't have any arrows (not really a fan of archery) to take it on with.

Glad I am not the only one who doesn't like the whole archery thing. Lame. Although, it isn't just in Skryim. I don't go for archery in any game(s) like these. Magic or one-handed weapons for me.

Does anyone else not like doing one set of quests for a long period of time...? I did a couple for college, then a couple for the companions, just finished my Imperial Army initiation kind of thing.

I haven't advanced along the main story arc very much. haha

Also, anyone have tips on getting gold?

EDIT: How.. and screw shopkeepers who follow me around their shops to make sure I don't steal anything. lmao. I try creeping around where I am undetected and they quickly run from behind the counters to check on me. BOOOOOO. lol

Edited by Favre4Ever

Glad I am not the only one who doesn't like the whole archery thing. Lame. Although, it isn't just in Skryim. I don't go for archery in any game(s) like these. Magic or one-handed weapons for me.

Does anyone else not like doing one set of quests for a long period of time...? I did a couple for college, then a couple for the companions, just finished my Imperial Army initiation kind of thing.

I haven't advanced along the main story arc very much. haha

Also, anyone have tips on getting gold?

EDIT: How.. and screw shopkeepers who follow me around their shops to make sure I don't steal anything. lmao. I try creeping around where I am undetected and they quickly run from behind the counters to check on me. BOOOOOO. lol

I am really not a fan of long-range combat, the only magic I use are the shouts and my flame-thrower type thing.

There are a couple of ways I have found to get more gold, but I think they are too time-consuming, so I just do a fuck-ton of dungeon crawling to build my gold stockpile.

One small tip: if you only specialize in one or two types of weapons (I prefer only one-handed), you really have no reason to keep any weapons of other type. I collect and sell all of my bows, battle axes, great swords and any other 2 handed weapons I find. It is quick way to build up gold.

You can also try finding a soul-trap weapon and filling then selling soul gems, that could make you a bunch of gold.

Otherwise, you can try these tips:

From Gamewinners.com:

At the beginning of the game, when you reach to the first town of Riverwood start chopping wood and find the man named Hod. He usually stands at the top of the sawmill during the day. He will pay you for "all the wood you can carry" as he puts it. However, there is no limit to how much you can make buy chopping wood and selling it to him. He never runs out of gold like the merchants. Chop and sell wood to him until you have as much gold as desired.

or:

Note: this requires a Soul Trap weapon and access to a smithy and arcane enchanter. First, purchase equal amounts of Iron Ingots, Leather Strips and Petty Soul Gems. Fill the Petty Soul Gems (by killing with the Soul Trap weapon), then go to a smithy. Create as many Iron Daggers as possible, then go to an arcane enchanter (there is one in Dragonsreach). Enchant all the daggers with the Petty Soul Gems (disenchant the Soul Trap weapon if reqiored). Go to a shop and sell the daggers. Depending on your barter skill, you will get about 170 gold per dagger in profit, and should level up a fair amount. Note: Smithy every three or four daggers; enchant every one or two daggers early on.

Then there is this one from gamefaqs.com

Grab any Horse and Carriage to Winterhold. Once at Winterhold, turn right immediately. Travel Southwest from Winterhold to a location called "Sightless Pit". Just above Slightless Pit a little higher on the mountain (not much higher) you will see a alter with a skeleton on it, beside the skeleton is a book called "The Doors to Oblivion". Pick up the book, and kill the skeleton on the table, Two other skeletons will rise around the alter, kill these as well. Return to the Skeleton near where you picked up the book, and loot it's body, take everything, and loot again, you'll notice the book on this skeleton continually re-appears, giving you an unlimited supply of "The Doors of Oblivion" worth 50 gold each. Every time you view the Skeletons inventory, even if you do not remove the book, adds 1 book to the skeletons inventory. Enjoy.

I am really not a fan of long-range combat, the only magic I use are the shouts and my flame-thrower type thing.

Ya, I really dislike the missile / projectile spells. I usually stick with the conjuration and the close range and continuous damage spells. Usually a dual wielding of frost and flame.... Although I think my highest level in magic is restoration.. lol

And thanks for the tips on the gold. I am definitely going to have to check them out. While I don't like spending gold much, I have a big desire to start upgrading my house and I always have a need to buy new spells. :D

EDIT:

Okay, I tested out the woodchopping.

You get about 5 gold pieces per piece of firewood you chop.. and barring that you are using the closest chopping block to Hod (who you sell the wood to) to save time... It took me 3 minutes to cut 36 pieces of firewood for 180 gold. Which comes out to 1 gold per second of your time.

1k gold for every 15 minutes of work. Not really that bad of a turnout, imo. The only problem is that wood is heavy and it's extremely boring.

But worth the time if you have it to spare.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I just spent like half an hour doing alchemy with all the crap I have been collecting so far... Barely gained ANY experience.

Worst. Skill. Ever.

I agree. Alchemy is ridiculously difficult to level. It is useful to make potions, and I guess I will keep making potions with it, but I don't intend on spending any perks in there.

1k gold for every 15 minutes of work. Not really that bad of a turnout, imo. The only problem is that wood is heavy and it's extremely boring.

But worth the time if you have it to spare.

You could bring a follower along, then you'd get a lot more gold per trip.

Not a fan of archery either. Never have been in any of TES series I've played, though I did bring along a bow and arrows to take down dragons. There is eventually another way to bring them down, however. If you'd rather figure it out for yourself, then don't read the spoiler:

If you proceed along the main quest-line enough, you can learn a shout that will force a dragon to land.

Ya, I really dislike the missile / projectile spells. I usually stick with the conjuration and the close range and continuous damage spells. Usually a dual wielding of frost and flame.... Although I think my highest level in magic is restoration.. lol

I use my big two-handed axe that's does double damage to elves, (Nassty elvesss), with a fire/soul trap enchantment. Honestly, soul-trapping is the fastest way to get gold, I think.

As far as spells go, I'm the same as you, Restoration is highest, though now that I have enough magicka to cast stoneflesh, (thanks to the atronarch sign and some enchantments on items), alteration is catching up. I stop really bothering with conjuration, as I could clear rooms out faster if I didn't have a flame atronarch in the way, and she got one-shot by the higher-ranked enemies anyway, (though she still exploded when she was killed and did some damage).

In terms of perks, I have nearly all of the Two-Handed perks, (skill is at 87, so still lacking a few), with a good amount of heavy armor perks, (skill at 63) and then some in enchantment, (skill at 41).

I did run into a few glitches along the main quest-line during one scene, which lead to some pretty hilarious dialogue.

Edited by Thanatos19

Whoever can give me the name of the voice actor of Falion, the wizard / mage in Morthal gets a cookie. Ten cookies.

Whoever can give me the name of the voice actor of Falion, the wizard / mage in Morthal gets a cookie. Ten cookies.

The internet doesn't say, so after looking through the voice actors, the closest voice appears to be Roger Jackson.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413996/

I'm interested in getting Skyrim, but I'd appreciate if someone could give me an overall overview of what I'd be spending $60 on. I know it's a medieval game with fantasy stuff thrown in to make a good RPG, but that's about it. I don't mean to sound dumb but is this anything like a better version of Runescape or WoW? I'm very interested on buying this, especially with the hype I've heard from friends and fans abroad, but what am I getting into?

Wow... Vin.. I am super impressed.

Cookies-Brownie%20Tray.gif

Wow... Vin.. I am super impressed.

Cookies-Brownie%20Tray.gif

So did you already know, or...

So did you already know, or...

Not at all...

Last night I had a lot of the bigger cities still undiscovered. The ones wayyyy out west and then Morthal which is actually relatively close.

So what I did, instead of running around... Was just go to the stables (I used the one in Riften, although it doesn't matter) and paid the carriage to take me to the cities that I had not been to yet.

Morthal was the last one I went to before going to bed, and before I saved I met Falion and his voice sounded SOOOOOO familiar. I looked up the voice actors on IMDB, but Falion isn't labeled. :(

He's the voice on the phone in the Scream movies, and did voice work in Mass Effect :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm interested in getting Skyrim, but I'd appreciate if someone could give me an overall overview of what I'd be spending $60 on. I know it's a medieval game with fantasy stuff thrown in to make a good RPG, but that's about it. I don't mean to sound dumb but is this anything like a better version of Runescape or WoW? I'm very interested on buying this, especially with the hype I've heard from friends and fans abroad, but what am I getting into?

If you've ever played any of the Elder Scrolls series, it's simply a much better version of Oblivion. I'm going to assume you have not.

So here goes.

It's nothing like Runescape and very little like WoW. Essentially, it starts as a standard RPG- choose your race, (which gives bonuses to certain skills, or a bonus to resist a type of damage, (frost, fire, poison, etc, as well as a race-specific skill- The Nord, for example, can use Battle Cry 1/day to cause everyone around him to flee for 30s), but then delivers the Elder Scrolls twist. You don't pick a class, you can literally level up any ability you wish. There's quite a few, from professions such as smithing and enchanting, to schools of magic, conjuring, healing, destruction, defense, to bows, to melee, to blocking, and stealth.

The thing is, with TES series, you don't level up by gaining XP from killing the bad guys and completing quests. At least, not directly. You level up by leveling up your skills, which is simple- the more you use a skill, the more it levels up. So the more times you heal yourself or others, the more your restoration skill goes up, the more times you hit someone with a two-handed weapon, the more your 2H skill goes up, etc. Each time a skill gains a level, you get XP. Quests simply deliver gold, (generally quite a bit of it).

Since the world is so open, (there is a pair of "main" quests, but you can ignore them for as long as you want), you can literally do whatever you want first. (Although I would advise staying out of the mountains till level 10 or so, the Giants are pretty nasty characters.) So in order to keep everything competitive and not have you out-level an area before you even decide to go to it, the world around you will also "level up", though not at the same pace as your own character, (at least not in Skyrim, I believe in Oblivion it was pretty much the same pace as your character). This is the primary feature of the difficulty slider, or so I have been told, as it determines what level the world around you is.

There is a ton of quests and a ton of areas. I've found almost 200 different areas so far and I think I've explored about 2/3 of the map, so I'm guessing ~300 areas total. There are also several different factions. The three main ones are the Imperial Army, the Thalmor, and the Stormcloaks. (I am unsure if you can join the Thalmor, but they are a faction.)

There are also a bunch of guilds/groups, such as the Companions, (a group of mercenaries), the Mages of Winterhold, the Thieves Guild in Riften, The Dark Brotherhood, (a group of assassins), etc. Each of these guilds has their own line of quests.

Every time you level up you get a perk to spend in any of your skill trees, provided you have the appropriate level of the skill. So for example, I have 5/5 on the Barbarian perk, which gives me 100% extra damage when using 2h weapons, which need a corresponding 2h-skill level of 10/20/40/60/80 in order to level up. Perks can be passive, such as causing certain schools of magic to cost less to cast their spells, or they can be triggered, such as the 2h perk that gives you a 25% to decapitate an enemy when using a standing power attack, or they can be active, such as the 2h perk that gives you a special power attack when sprinting towards an enemy that does an automatic critical hit.

Basically, it is a giant open-world sandbox that you can do whatever you want. You feel like slaughtering a whole town just because? Have at it. You want to rob a nobleman of every last item he owns?

You want to destroy an entire Imperial regiment by calling down a lightning storm on their heads? Well, you'll have to go find out how to do that, first, but then have at it!

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Fucking HUGE. Best way to describe the game.

In Oblivion, I invested over 1000 HOURS (no bullshit) over three characters, and was still finding new shit to do in the world. Skyrim is supposedly even bigger than that. many people don't like games that are this open, so be ware that the game is truly OPEN to you and how you want to tackle it from teh outset. It is about as non-linear as you walking out your own front door with nothing to do and an entire world to do it.