Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

DROID discussion

Two questions:

1. I downloaded the Advanced Task Killer app, and have been using it for the past two months. I haven't been able to tell much of a difference, but I like it because it tells me exactly how much battery % I have left. I work in the I.T. dept at a business and recently we upgraded the phone system to VoIP. Anyway, a guy from Avaya (the phone company) also has the Droid Incredible so we got on talking, and he told me not to use Task Killers. IIRC, his reasoning was because there are always some apps and programs that are going to be running, even after you kill/stop them, and you actually use more battery killing them every so often than you would just having them run in the background. Anybody else's thoughts on that?

2. I wanna do some more customization to my Incredible. For now, I'm trying to focus on the home screens. For example, if you want to drag apps to different places on the home screen, you can only put them in designated places on the screen. Anybody good working with ROMs or even utilizing what the phone already has in customizing the home screens?

Two questions:

1. I downloaded the Advanced Task Killer app, and have been using it for the past two months. I haven't been able to tell much of a difference, but I like it because it tells me exactly how much battery % I have left. I work in the I.T. dept at a business and recently we upgraded the phone system to VoIP. Anyway, a guy from Avaya (the phone company) also has the Droid Incredible so we got on talking, and he told me not to use Task Killers. IIRC, his reasoning was because there are always some apps and programs that are going to be running, even after you kill/stop them, and you actually use more battery killing them every so often than you would just having them run in the background. Anybody else's thoughts on that?

2. I wanna do some more customization to my Incredible. For now, I'm trying to focus on the home screens. For example, if you want to drag apps to different places on the home screen, you can only put them in designated places on the screen. Anybody good working with ROMs or even utilizing what the phone already has in customizing the home screens?

In response to your second point, I'd recommend downloading Launcher Pro. It gives you more customization for your home screens. If you buy the premium version they even let you resize widgets and icons on home screens. It's one of the best apps you can get for your device.

• Upvote 1

Two questions:

1. The Avaya guy is right. Task Killers are not really good for the overall performance of your phone. There are pretty indepth articled explaining why. Here is one.

2. You can get some custom roms for the Incredible but I used the Beautiful widgets, Launcher Pro and weather widgets to customize. I pretty much moved all my apps from the Home Screen. I really wanted them to bring the Mau5 theme to the Droid but alas, it never happened. Check it out: http://mau5.net/ and be envious.

Edited by NaTaS
  • Upvote 1

Yea, I have Beautiful Widgets too and its great. One of the few Android apps I've paid for.

In response to your second point, I'd recommend downloading Launcher Pro. It gives you more customization for your home screens. If you buy the premium version they even let you resize widgets and icons on home screens. It's one of the best apps you can get for your device.

I just downloaded Laucher Pro. Sounds and looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll let you know what I think of it after I play around with it...

1. The Avaya guy is right. Task Killers are not really good for the overall performance of your phone. There are pretty indepth articled explaining why. Here is one.

2. You can get some custom roms for the Incredible but I used the Beautiful widgets, Launcher Pro and weather widgets to customize. I pretty much moved all my apps from the Home Screen. I really wanted them to bring the Mau5 theme to the Droid but alas, it never happened. Check it out: http://mau5.net/ and be envious.

That article is a great read, thanks for posting NaTaS. I uninstalled my Advanced Task Killer app and am going to install the suggested Watchdog app and see how that works instead.

The Mau5 theme is indeed sick.

Amazon just launched the Amazon Appstore, it's pretty legit, check it outhttp://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

It should be noted that its not available yet if you have ATT. Also, what advantage does this Amazon store have over the regular market? I see the same exact apps.

I just downloaded Laucher Pro. Sounds and looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll let you know what I think of it after I play around with it...That article is a great read, thanks for posting NaTaS. I uninstalled my Advanced Task Killer app and am going to install the suggested Watchdog app and see how that works instead. The Mau5 theme is indeed sick.

If you get Froyo (Android 2.2) on your device, it comes with a built in task manager like all PCs do.

It should be noted that its not available yet if you have ATT. Also, what advantage does this Amazon store have over the regular market? I see the same exact apps.

If you get Froyo (Android 2.2) on your device, it comes with a built in task manager like all PCs do.

I noticed the same thing about the Amazon app market. It just came out though so who knows, maybe they'll get some stuff that's unique.

I was playing around with Launcher Pro and while it is a great app, it's not what I'm looking for. I think I simply want to mess around with different themes. Problem is, and I've looked around on some DROID forums and I'll continue to do so, but I don't know how to install themes on my phone. Any help with that?

Right now it doesn't seem like there is anything too different, but I like how it is organized better than the stock app. Plus amazon offers a paid app everyday for free. Today it was the new Angry Birds Rio app.

I noticed the same thing about the Amazon app market. It just came out though so who knows, maybe they'll get some stuff that's unique.

I was playing around with Launcher Pro and while it is a great app, it's not what I'm looking for. I think I simply want to mess around with different themes. Problem is, and I've looked around on some DROID forums and I'll continue to do so, but I don't know how to install themes on my phone. Any help with that?

I've never wanted to mess with themes so I don't know for sure but if I had to guess I'd assume your going to need to root your phone first, then find custom roms/files to get themes onto your phone. I know razorback mentioned he was starting to work on custom roms to get a theme on his droid. Might want to send him a PM.

I've never wanted to mess with themes so I don't know for sure but if I had to guess I'd assume your going to need to root your phone first, then find custom roms/files to get themes onto your phone. I know razorback mentioned he was starting to work on custom roms to get a theme on his droid. Might want to send him a PM.

I was kind of afraid of that, but after doing a bit of research I believe you're right. And I'm fearful of rooting my phone and all that shit because I venture into uncharted waters once I get into that lol...

Well rooting the phone is nothing. Very easy and wont really change much. Its what you do after or more importantly what rooted apps you use that you have to be careful with. You have to be an advanced user to start messing with that.

Well rooting the phone is nothing. Very easy and wont really change much. Its what you do after or more importantly what rooted apps you use that you have to be careful with. You have to be an advanced user to start messing with that.

Is the warranty voided when the phone is rooted? or do they stop offering support?

or do they not give a shit?

Edited by Maverick

Is the warranty voided when the phone is rooted? or do they stop offering support?

or do they not give a shit?

It does technically void the warranty but its also completely reversible if it ever came to that.

I have an iPhone but yes, I'm attempting to create my own theme. With the iPhone, I have to put the correct name files into the correct name folders inside of bundles inside of folders inside of the theme title folder.. and blah, blah, blah. From what I've seen on Droid phones, it's much easier.

Mav, just continue to read up. Plenty of people have done enough work to figure all this stuff out and they love sharing it on the internet. You just have to look in the right places, google different combinations of keywords, and get lucky.

lol my bad. I forgot razor had an iPhone. Got confused with the two topics we were discussing lol.

so I would highly encourage those with a droid to download the amazon app store, yes it doesn't offer anything different but the fact they offer a different paid app free every day is amazing. They aren't shitty paid apps, they are some of the most popular, like today I got the alternate keypad app swiftkey which is normall $1.99 I think