BLUE

Cowboys players illegally met with Rob Ryan; Roger Goodell issues fine

By Gerry Fraley / Reporter

gfraley@dallasnews.com | Bio

4:07 PM on Wed., Mar. 23, 2011 | Permalink

Several Dallas Cowboys players have mentioned getting together with new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to get a jump-start on his system. That apparently is a violation of NFL rules and put the Cowboys among of a group of five teams that have been fined by commissioner Roger Goodell for having contact with players during a "dead'' period.

Miami, Cleveland and San Francisco are also believed to have violated the rule, which is not related to the lockout. Teams can have only limited contact with players until March 15, when off-season programs can begin. Like the Cowboys, each of those clubs has a new head coach or new coordinators.

The NFL released this statement:

"There have been rules in place for years that govern what is permissible prior to the start of the off-season program. ... Before the offseason program begins, players are permitted to use the Club's facilities on a voluntary basis subject to the following rules:

(i) such players may not receive per diem payments or workout bonuses of any kind and may not be paid or reimbursed expenses for travel, board or lodging during this period;

(ii) such players are not permitted to participate in organized workouts, practices or meetings of any kind;

(iii) the Club's strength and conditioning coaches may not direct such players' individual workouts, but may supervise use of the weight room to prevent injury, correct misuse of equipment, etc.;

(iv) such players may not be directed or supervised by position coaches during this period.''

Source: Dallas Morning News

As long as this doesnt cost the team too much money, I have no problem with this.

Yeah, I'm kinda like meh on it. It would suck for Dallas (not for me :p) if they were fined an insane amount of dough, though (2 pts for post ending rhyme time) (two more).

San Fran also accused... smh.