Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Fresh off shoulder surgery, Pennington tears ACL

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Hard-luck quarterback Chad Pennington tore an anterior cruciate ligament during a pickup basketball game and will undergo surgery next week.

Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, said in a news release Thursday that Dr. James Andrews will perform the operation on Pennington on April 7. The release didn't say which knee Pennington injured.

The former New York Jets and Miami Dolphins quarterback is now a free agent.

Pennington, 34, twice has been selected the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, but he lasted just two plays last season with the Dolphins before hurting his right shoulder again. He had surgery on it for the fourth time, but he said he wants to try to return to the NFL this season.

A shoulder injury ended Pennington's 2009 season in Week 3. Following arduous rehabilitation, he began 2010 as a backup to Chad Henne, then made his season debut in the ninth game when he started against the Tennessee Titans. But Pennington had to leave the game after just two snaps because of a dislocated shoulder and torn capsule.

Pennington's career completion percentage of 66.0 is the highest in NFL history among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 attempts. In 2008, his one full season with the Dolphins, Pennington led them to their only playoff berth since 2001.

Pennington led the Jets to the playoffs in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

Source: NFL.com

Just hang em up man. It's time to think about the future.

Just hang em up man. It's time to think about the future.

Agreed. Pennington is one of my favorite players in the NFL, but I hate to see the man keep getting injured constantly.

If he hangs them up, Hall of Fame - yay or nay? :grinno:

Just kidding of course, but Chad should be proud of the career he has had. Did good with the Jets and when some people thought he was done in Miami, he wins the Comeback Player of the Year and helps lead them to the playoffs.

This is why i think NFL should have a rule players cant play 2 sports. Like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson for example.

• Downvote 1

This is why i think NFL should have a rule players cant play 2 sports. Like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson for example.

most NFL contracts do have clauses in them limiting dangerous non football activities, but those limitations don't apply right now because of the labor issues, that's why Zbikowski can start boxing, and it has very little to do with this discussion, this was a pickup game, it's not like he was trying out for the Heat, so to parallel this with Deion Sanders (the only guy who's ever played in both a World Series and a Super Bowl) and Bo Jackson (an MLB and NFL All-Star) is a little beyond ridiculous, honestly at this point I'm wondering if Pennington can go for a jog without pulling a hammy

• Upvote 1

When Zbikowski gets a serious concussion youll know what im talking about. Boxing is a very dangerous sport. I suggest you look at Muhammad Ali now. He cant talk and his head and hands are shaking all the time. Boxing punished Ali big time.

When Zbikowski gets a serious concussion youll know what im talking about. Boxing is a very dangerous sport. I suggest you look at Muhammad Ali now. He cant talk and his head and hands are shaking all the time. Boxing punished Ali big time.

I still don't see what this discussion has to do with Pennington's injury, but I'll humor you with a response. I wasn't insinuating that boxing wasn't dangerous, in fact, quite the opposite. There is absolutely no way that Zbikowski would be allowed to box professionally or otherwise under his NFL contract, but because of the labor dispute going on those contracts are essentially suspended until the labor dispute reaches resolution and a new CBA is in effect. I was simply using him as the extreme to say that even having such provisions in place (which they generally are) does nothing right now because of the current labor situation.

As far as this situation, you can't possibly think NFL players should be banned from pickup basketball games, do you realize how many teams have charity basketball games or other such sporting events? Do you think those should be discontinued? How are they any different?

Edited by oochymp