Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

William Perry gets Super Bowl ring back

By Roman Modrowski

ESPNChicago.com

When Tracy Forrest overheard her 10-year-old son Cliff on the phone trying to explain to someone that he wanted to give William Perry his Super Bowl XX ring back, she could tell Cliff was having a hard time being believed.

After all, what 10-year-old would give away something like a Super Bowl ring for nothing?

So Tracy got on the phone and lent an adult voice to her child's gesture of goodwill and generosity. That gesture culminated in Chicago on Saturday when Cliff handed the ring to the former Chicago Bears defensive tackle, whose battle against Guillain-Barre syndrome has been well documented.

"My son said he knew he had problems," Tracy said Monday. "I myself have MS, and my son Googled and saw Perry also had an autoimmune disease.

"He said Perry lost the ring through hard times, and that he only had one ring. He said, 'I want him to have the ring back.' That's pretty special for a 10-year-old to want to do that."

Cliff used money he had been saving for college to purchase the ring for a reported $8,500 after seeing it at Mickey Mantle's restaurant and sports bar in New York City. The establishment also has a sports memorabilia section.

Read more: ESPN

This is such a class act from the kid to give back the ring and not expect anything back after paying that much for it. I am glad he got a little bit back and the Fridge wasn't a dick. I just hope he never sells that ring again

A 10-year-old kid purchased this $8500 ring with money he was saving for college?

But, forgetting the details, a classy move by the kid. The Fridge is going through some really tough times right now, and it's good to see this.

A 10-year-old kid purchased this $8500 ring with money he was saving for college?

Yeah what kind of parents let their kid do this?

I'm just afraid that Perry is going to end up selling it again.

I'm just afraid that Perry is going to end up selling it again.

I am also concerned about this. He probably is thinking right now that he would never do that, but when his bills come and he can't pay them, I am afraid he will resort to selling it again.