Sign in to follow this  
Turry

Ricky Stanzi was short for wideouts and halfbacks at his pro day.

Iowa was reportedly so short on draft-eligible receivers and running backs at its recent Pro Day that DT Karl Klug and LB Jeff Tarpanian had to run routes during QB Ricky Stanzi's passing workout.

Things turned out OK, though. Tarpanian reportedly looked so "fluid" as a pass catcher that NFL teams now project him as a fullback or H-back. He previously had no chance to be drafted and was hardly considered a priority free agent. As for Stanzi, he worked out for the 49ers on Iowa's campus on Monday. He remains likely to be drafted in the third or fourth round. Related: 49ersSource: Pro Football Weekly

That's pretty cool.

EDIT: Removal of my dumbassness.

Edited by rzb

They are talking about the LB. And H-Back is different than a HB.

Thats weird that they couldn't find anyone. I know here at Mizzou we don't have any wrs coming out so Gabbert threw to wrs from small schools in the area. Kinda surprised they couldn't find anyone like that.

The Kansas City Star believes the Chiefs may target Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi in the later rounds of the draft.

With only Matt Cassel and Tyler Palko under contract, quarterback is a position of need for the Chiefs, but they aren't likely to waste a pick on one in the later rounds if no one they like is still on the board. If free agent Brodie Croyle is not re-signed, expect Kansas City to go shopping for a proven veteran back-up. Related: ChiefsSource: Kansas City Star

Also, not stated in that article... Pioli is good friends with Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. Could see it happening, but I don't think it will. (Although, I do believe the chiefs go QB)