Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Andy Reid: Jaiquawn Jarrett is the “Most Intimidating� Safety in Draft

By David Sabia » Football News Now Staff Writer » May 4, 2011 - 7:51 pm

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid believes second-round pick safety Jaiquawn Jarrett is “one of the most intimidating safeties†in the 2011 draft class.

“One of the most intimidating – if not the most intimidating – safeties in the draft,†Reid told CSN Philly of Jarrett. “Talk about people who’ll come up and smack you, he’ll come up and smack you.â€

The biggest knock on Jarrett, whom the Eagles took 54th overall in last weekend’ draft, is his 4.62 forty-speed.

“I think a lot of teams shied away from me because of my 40,†Jarrett said. “But all a 40 measures is how fast you run a 40. Coach Reid didn’t really focus on my testing, just focused on what kind of football player I can become.â€

And Reid thinks a lot of things about Jarrett, including his slower speed, is reminiscent of ex-Eagles All-Pro safety Brian Dawkins.

“It’s not fair to compare him to Brian Dawkins yet, but they’re the same stature, same size, same speed–Dawk ran a 4.60, 4.65 coming out–but they’ll both torch you,†Reid said. “Different personalities, different guys, but I don’t think you want to run over the middle on either one of them.â€

With leading tackler Quintin Mikell expected to head out with free agency, Kurt Coleman and 2010 first-round selection Nate Allen are projected as the team’s starting safeties entering the season. Considering the way Reid is already talking up Jarrett, however, it’s not out of the question that Jarrett could cracking the Week 1 starting lineup.

“Jaiquawn made all the calls [at Temple], did all the adjustments,†Reid said. “He’s got what I consider tremendous football knowledge and great retention and he’s a naturally smart guy – team captain, graduated, all those intangible things.â€

“He’s one of those guys, you watch him play, he just jumps out at you. He just crushes people. And I know that’s not the National Football League, but I expect him to transfer it to this level. He’s a big-time hitter.â€

Source: FootballNewsNow.com

Edited by BLUE

I'm excited of the possibility our young safeties have in the future, but for the present it would hurt to lose Mikell in a lot of ways. I hope our FO doesn't look past them.

What Andy says makes sense. I'm really coming to love the pick, because it looks like this kid will be our starting strong safety for the next ten years. I just hate that we're going to be losing Mikell, as Sean said.

I'm excited of the possibility our young safeties have in the future, but for the present it would hurt to lose Mikell in a lot of ways. I hope our FO doesn't look past them.

Absolutly, with Nate Allen and a good rookie season he came off of, Kurt Coleman had a decent rookie season and now with Jarrett, great young talent for the birds.