Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

McNabb's career in jeopardy?

I don't buy it, and I could still definitely see McNabb end up in Minnesota. He's not done yet, IMO.

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT

In the wake of the latest one-two punch against Donovan McNabb — a fresh round of withering (albeit misguided) criticism from boxer Bernard Hopkins and a report that McNabb refused to wear a wristband containing the offensive plays last season in order to preserve his image — one writer who covered McNabb’s up-and-down tenure in Philly has offered up an intriguing take.

At a time when many assume McNabb will simply land with a new team for 2011, Geoff Mosher of DelawareOnline.com believes that McNabb career could be kaput.

“Perhaps there is no worse sign for McNabb than the fact that the Vikings, coached by former Eagles assistant Leslie Frazier, almost tore a biceps tendon reaching for Christian Ponder at 12th overall,†Mosher writes.

And then there’s this observation: “NFL teams are forever getting younger, more athletic and more coachable at the game’s most important position — not older, injury prone and with an ego the size of Texas.â€

Though we’re not yet ready to drop a shovel of dirt on McNabb’s 12-year NFL career, it’s a possibility that we no longer would regard as shocking. McNabb will demand being installed as the Day One starter, and he’ll want the kind of financial package that inherently will demonstrate that the Eagles were wrong to trade him and that the Redskins were wrong to dismiss him. At this point, we can’t think of a team that will do it — and we can’t envision McNabb accepting any lesser terms in order to continue playing.

Much can change between now and whenever the lockout ends. But those changes possibly will have to come as much from McNabb’s view of his current abilities as they will from the needs of the teams who are trying to decide what to do at quarterback in 2011.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

Guest Durant4MVP

He needs to get back in the saddle at least one more year. Retiring right now would look bad on his legacy.

I am still holding out hope that he will return to DC, if only to assure that we are not going to be led by John Beck. Can we really end up much worse than last year with McNabb having another year in the offense?

McNabb has a thing for having bounceback seasons and proving doubters wrong. It's one of the things I hated about him most. If he played a game with some kind of rivalry, or T.O., or anyone else that hated on him, he played like a man possessed. I wanted to see that kind of effort EVERY game.

McNabb is going to have a GREAT season next year if he is in a system that allows him succeed, and whoever he plays for will be extremely lucky. He has a house in Arizona, I'm sure that's his top choice destination if he had to pick, and he would do some serious damage there, almost guaranteeing the NFCW, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Like I said in the shoutbox the other night... McNabb supposedly struggled with grasping the offense of the Redskins... Which isn't all that difficult, but hey... Anyway, does anyone actually expect McNabb to be traded, expected to learn a bran new offense without an offseason? I don't think so, but that's just me.

By Chuck Carroll

FNN Staff Writer

May 17, 2011

Could the Oakland Raiders go quarterback shopping in Washington for a second straight year?

Perhaps.

Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post believes there is a chance Donovan McNabb could land a spot on the Raiders roster this season.

Volin believes Oakland “seems like the perfect spot†for the Redskins outcast. From all indications McNabb is one and done in Washington following a rocky season under head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Should the Raiders actually make a play for McNabb there is little doubt he would be given the starting job over Jason Campbell, whom the team acquired from the Redskins last season after they acquired McNabb from the Philadelphia Eagles. It would be ironic, no?

Volin adds that Al Davis “always has a soft spot for the outcasts.â€

We don’t disagree with that statement necessarily, but it’s hard to put that label on the future Hall of Famer. Things just didn’t work out for him in Washington, which has paved the way for John Beck to take over as the presumable starter in the nation’s capital. You’d be hard pressed to find 30 other NFL teams who believe McNabb is truly an outcast.

The likelihood of McNabb actually coming to the Bay Area seems remote. Campbell has stepped up and assumed leadership of the Silver and Black this offseason despite the quarterback controversy that surrounds him.

Campbell, along with Richard Seymour, has organized team workouts in Atlanta to keep the team together during the NFL lockout. He certainly isn’t acting as though he has the No. 2 label stamped on him.

Source: FottballNewsNow.com

Like I said in the shoutbox the other night... McNabb supposedly struggled with grasping the offense of the Redskins... Which isn't all that difficult, but hey... Anyway, does anyone actually expect McNabb to be traded, expected to learn a bran new offense without an offseason? I don't think so, but that's just me.

It's strange how people will give a team a year of grace to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3, but when a new coach and a new system join a new quarterback, you better be ready immediately. Yes, it is different because the two defenses have very different personnels, but another reason is mental. In the game against the Eagles, NOBODY looked on the same page, and Donovan's first pick to Nate Allen looked like Allen was the intended receiver. Sometimes it takes a little while until you are just playing and not thinking about what you're doing. Donovan looked like he was thinking last year, not playing. Changing the quarterback again isn't going to do the Redskins any good. It was also a "conditioning problem," not just mental. This means, if his Philly tenure taught us anything, that he's going to come into camp looking really in shape.

And Andy Reid's terminology is all over the NFL. A lot of coaches are in the Bill Walsh WCO tree... Shanahan only spent a couple years as a coach for the Niners, so that's where he gets some of his WCO influence such as QB rollouts and level reads. So McNabb would be more familiar on a team more suited for him, such as Brett Favre's level of play when he went from the Packers to the Jets to the Vikings.

That has been my mindset all along. The man had one season in which to learn a new offense that was a bit different from the one he used for 11 years. More than one season is required to grasp a new system, especially for a QB.