Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

MLB considering re-alingment

Report: MLB Considering Realigning to 15 Teams in Each League, Astros Potentially Team on the Move

by Patrick McHugh on Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:23PM

In order to create two leagues of 15 teams each, Major League Baseball is seriously considering realignment, according to multiple reports.

The MLB is currently the only Big Four sport that does not have the same number of teams in each of its leagues. The National League has 16 teams while the American League has 14. The NFL, NBA and NHL all have equal team distribution in their respective conferences.

The topic of simple realignment has been discussed in labor talks between the MLB and the Player's Association, according to four sources.

One executive said the league is considering eliminating divisions within each league, and instead have the top five squads from each 15-team league compete in the postseason.

A source close to the talks said the Player's Association is open to the idea of realignment, but talks are still in the preliminary stage.

"I'd still say the odds of it happening are less than 50-50," one source said.

Any realignment would have an impact on interleague play and could seriously affect scheduling. With an odd number of teams in each league, it is practically unavoidable that interleague games would be present on the schedule from April through September.

Another issue is which team from the NL gets moved to the AL. Two executives believe the Houston Astros are a likely choice because a move would even the NL Central and AL West divisions, along with creating a natural rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

"There are still a lot of details that would have to be discussed," according to one source.

SOURCE: NESN

This makes total sense and should have been done decades ago......so baseball will probably not do it. We all know how much baseball loves logic and common sense.

This is a terrible idea in my opinion. I don't want another team to make the playoffs, you play ONE HUNDRED SIXTY TWO FUCKING GAMES which really shows which team is the best in each division and then you get one wildcard. I love that personally.

I like divisions. 15 teams battling each other....I don't know just not as much substance. I like the rivalries within divisions, you're always battling those same couple teams.

Although the one thing I like here is the Astros should go to the AL West.

50-50 chance? That doesn't sound good.

According to Buster Olney it's 50-50 NOW but over the next couple weeks it could gain some steam.

I'd be fine with the Astros moving as long as they don't get rid of divisions.

Hell no. Keep the Stros in the Central!!! haha

I agree 100 percent with SteVo. Move a team if you must, just don't get rid of the divisions.

I really like the MLB's divisional system. It makes for some good competition and some good rivalries.

Yea I am open to the 15 teams in each league but to get rid of divisions would suck. Right now they could either go with 3 divisions of 5 that would work or failing that have an expansion an get another two teams in. Surely there would be two city's interested in have a team or expand the amount in Canada.

Here's a radical re-alignment plan that's worth talking about...

With Major League Baseball and the Players Association considering some form of realignment, I would suggest geographic realignment, with six divisions of five teams each. This, of course, would include the eradication of the American and National Leagues, as we know them, as well as the designated hitter rule.

In "old school" terms, I realize my proposal would be considered radical, but here are my recommendations:

AMERICAN CONFERENCE

Eastern Division

Boston Red Sox

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

Toronto Blue Jays

Central Division

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Midwest Division

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City Royals

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

NATIONAL CONFERENCE

Southeast Division

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Florida Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays

Washington Nationals

Western Division

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

California Division

Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers

Oakland Athletics

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Geographic rivalries would increase attendance, revenue and excitement in the region where each team is located. For example, the following series -- Reds-Indians, Orioles-Nationals, Mets-Yankees, Marlins-Rays, Dodgers-Angels, A’s-Giants and Royals-Cardinals -- have all seen significant attendance bumps and TV ratings in interleague play.

Along with geographic realignment, my proposal would call for expanded playoffs that would increase the number of teams making the postseason from eight to 12. In each conference, the three division winners and the three teams with the next-best records would be postseason-bound. The division winner with the conference's best record, the No. 1 seed, would play the No. 6 seed; the team with the second-best record, the No. 2 seed, would play the No. 5 seed, etc. The first round of the playoffs would be a best-of-five series. The next rounds would be best-of-seven series.

The regular season would begin around March 24, which would shorten spring training. During the first few weeks of the regular season, the games would be played in the National Conference, where the weather is normally dryer and warmer, resulting in fewer rainouts and postponements.

Basketball and hockey have 16 playoff teams, so there is no reason Major League Baseball can’t increase its postseason teams from eight to 12. This would create more pennant races and more excitement in more cities come September.

Baseball’s present proposal is to increase the playoff teams from eight to 10, by adding a second wild-card team. The problem with that concept is that the division winners would have to sit and wait for the wild-card series to end. That might work in basketball and hockey, but not in baseball. In baseball, timing is important, and sitting and waiting is a detriment for both hitters and pitchers.

The other problem with the current proposal is that the wild-card series would either be a single game or a best-of-three, lessening the chances of the best team moving on. And if it takes the weekend before the end of the regular season to clinch a playoff spot, a team's rotation might not be set up to give it a legitimate chance to win a short series.

The time has come for baseball to go beyond moving just one team to a new league and to discuss a realignment plan that makes sense geographically and is in sync with the plan to expand the playoffs.

I look forward to your thoughts and opinions. You can also follow me on Twitter: @JimBowdenESPNxm.

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post/_/id/363/mlb-needs-geographic-realignment

Edited by SteVo

Keep the Mets and Phillies in the NL please so we can continue to play them. kthx.

Here's a radical re-alignment plan that's worth talking about...

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post/_/id/363/mlb-needs-geographic-realignment

This guy's proposal kind of sucks. First of all he forgot Toronto when listing his teams (assuming their in the East). Also his playoff format....what would the second round be like. He said 1 vs. 6 and 2 vs. 5, etc. (so 3 vs. 4). Then you have 3 teams advancing to the second round......ummmmm......what do you do there?

Poorly thought out plan.

This guy's proposal kind of sucks. First of all he forgot Toronto when listing his teams (assuming their in the East). Also his playoff format....what would the second round be like. He said 1 vs. 6 and 2 vs. 5, etc. (so 3 vs. 4). Then you have 3 teams advancing to the second round......ummmmm......what do you do there?

Poorly thought out plan.

Yeah I agree. That playoff format is totally whacked.

problem with this = requires year round interleague play because with 15 teams, someone will always be off.

possible solutions:

1) expansion

2) contraction