Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

HBO cancels Hard Knocks for this year

HBO's 'Hard Knocks' will be taking a season off, Sports Illustrated's Peter King reported Saturday evening. The reality show follows an NFL team during training camp and the preseason and had a total of six seasons after not being on air from 2003 to 2006. Because of the lockout, training camp will be different this season, as it is expected to overlap with a chaotic period of free agency and signing of undrafted free agents. In May, the Buccaneers had declined a request to be this year's team featured on the show. Last year's edition of 'Hard Knocks' featured the Jets. Reports indicate that the NFLPA will vote to approve the settlement on Monday that would end the lockout and start the league year later in the week.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Not surprised with the lockout ending this late and they weren't getting much interest from all the teams they asked.

I don't think they got much interest from the fans, either. It didn't really seem like it was very popular anyways.

I don't think they got much interest from the fans, either. It didn't really seem like it was very popular anyways.

The Jets version was really popular. Rex's mouth became a hot topic of conversation and everyone's new favorite coach is Mike Westhoff.

I always love Hard Knocks, and the Caps/Penguins 24/7 special was awesome too. HBO does great documentary work. I'd love to see them follow the Eagles.

HUH?! It's rare that a show goes four years without popularity. And with it's last season being the most watched, I don't understand where the part about no interest comes from.

I love being able to see the inside workings of a team, any NFL team.. from the coaches selecting players, mentoring them, pushing them to their limits, and then going to the board and cutting those who aren't strong enough. Being able to visually see the team form and chemistry grow is amazing.. and HBO does a fantastic job of catching it.

The lockout is the reason that we get no Hard Knocks.

I'm really going to miss Hardknocks.

Last week, I was staying at a hotel across the street from the Meadowlands (Sheraton). It just so happens that the Giants are putting all of their rookies up in this hotel for training camp. I was in the restaurant and met some of the players (mostly undrafted free agents). Anyway, you could really see how nervous these guys were on the eve of the most important moment in their lives. After having watching Hardknocks, I could really appreciate exactly how these guys were feeling and what they would be going through the next day. It was pretty funny because I happened to have a Giants shirt on and one of the players thought I was a front office guy. Haha One of the guys I met was Da'Rel Scott (7th Round, RB). Really nice guy and really passionate about being on the team.

Next season, I'd like to see them follow this year's SB champ to show the difference in preparation. You've seen hungry teams trying to get back to glory like the Chiefs, and last year they had a team on the brink of the championship with the Jets. I want to see how a team fights complacency.