Vorcha

New Teams....

Whats everyones views/opinions on adding new teams to the NFL? As of late Canada has been trying to land an NFL team in their country....

Being Canadian myself, I don't want a new NFL team in Canada. The only place that should get a "new" NFL team would be L.A. With a huge city like L.A., you could actually put two NFL teams there if you really wanted to, which would be awesome, a really intense and really exciting cross city rivilary!

Ya. The only way there is a Canadian team is if they move the Bills. And even if they did, it wouldn't really be "adding" a team to the league. If the a new team is in the works, LA is definitely the location.

I don't see the Bills moving. Buffalo has an intense fan base.

I say bring one up to the north west. Seattle is lonely up there.

• Downvote 1

Seattle already has a team....

I cant remember the exact year but at one point LA had the LA Rams LA Raiders and below them San Diego Chargers. And thats just the football teams Im pretty sure they have 2 NBA teams and 2-3 MLB teams. And honestly LA cant afford any additions of any sports teams the Raiders and Rams left because the cities failed to maintain the stadiums as well as come through with perks that they agreed to do in a contract. That right there was why the Raiders moved back to Oakland this final time because they promised Al Davis the owner of the Raiders that they would build him a new stadium and something like 10 years later it never happened. And thats when he said they heck with these clowns were out of here....

Ya. The only way there is a Canadian team is if they move the Bills. And even if they did, it wouldn't really be "adding" a team to the league. If the a new team is in the works, LA is definitely the location.

I'm in L.A, and I honestly couldn't give a damn if the city got an NFL team or not. The chargers are just to the south, and that's fine with me.

During the lockout I had read an article about adding a team to the NFL or moving a team up to Canada. Their were 2 teams that considered it but in the end decided to stay where they are at. Jaguars and the Bills....

During the lockout I had read an article about adding a team to the NFL or moving a team up to Canada. Their were 2 teams that considered it but in the end decided to stay where they are at. Jaguars and the Bills....

I really don't think teams will be added. Relocation seems more likely.

I agree with you and honestly I feel that they have to many sport teams in that area already....

I'm in L.A, and I honestly couldn't give a damn if the city got an NFL team or not. The chargers are just to the south, and that's fine with me.

I don't think they will make a new team in a new country, but I could see a team moving to Canada or something. I know there has been talks about the Bills doing it.

I read a few years back that the NFL is actually trying to get the NFL in Europe more specifically England. Thats why they have that 1 game a year in England....

I read a few years back that the NFL is actually trying to get the NFL in Europe more specifically England. Thats why they have that 1 game a year in England....

I've heard the same thing. I think that is absolutely absurd. That would mean 8 teams per year would be traveling to Europe every year to play a game and the team playing in Europe, would have to be going back and forth from the US to Europe almost every week. I don't think the players on that team would be very happy with that. I say we keep Football in America.

Yah that would be a huge waste of time and money. The only way something like that would work is if that had 2 leagues (like AFC and NFC) and the champs of the American League and the champs of the Europe league would get together for like a world wide superbowl....

I've heard the same thing. I think that is absolutely absurd. That would mean 8 teams per year would be traveling to Europe every year to play a game and the team playing in Europe, would have to be going back and forth from the US to Europe almost every week. I don't think the players on that team would be very happy with that. I say we keep Football in America.

I am in favor of them moving a team to LA, but not to Canada. No offense to any of our many Canadian posters on here, but I feel like putting teams in Canada failed miserably for the MLB and NBA (obviously not for the NHL) and I don't want to see a team with a really weak fanbase added to the league. We already have too many of those for my liking (I'm looking at you, Jacksonville).

I am in favor of them moving a team to LA, but not to Canada. No offense to any of our many Canadian posters on here, but I feel like putting teams in Canada failed miserably for the MLB and NBA (obviously not for the NHL) and I don't want to see a team with a really weak fanbase added to the league. We already have too many of those for my liking (I'm looking at you, Jacksonville).

Not too long ago the Blue Jays were pretty damn good and pulled in a lot of fans plus they have 2 WS Titles. The now defunct Montréal Expos where not a bad franchise either although no rings they did have some good years. The Totonto Raptors well... eh :shrug:.

I wouldn't say expanding to Canada would be bad for the NFL though. The CFL pulls in fans an NFL franchise would likely pull in a lot more than a CFL franchise. You would have to rename the "National Football League" to something like the "North American Football League" though :p

Bills are pretty damm close to canada anyways.

I believe in keeping American Football in America, adding four more teams - Los Angeles being one of them most obviously. Canadian Football is fine the way it is, Canada doesn't need an NFL team it has eight (soon to be nine) teams in the CFL, which is unique and wonderful in its own right. The only way there will ever be viable "Gridiron" football in Europe is if a uniquely European football agency arises to devise a European Football code/rule set, which will have to differ from American and Canadian football rules in some regards (Europeans, I'm one of them, dislike calling the sport "Football" because most of the time kicking the ball is illegal and kicking the football doesn't play a significant enough part in the game for most European's tastes. Americans generally do not understand this attitude.) In Europe, you're only gonna ever be able to market gridiron as an accepted sport if there is a uniquely European rules and style of football different from in America and Canada.

Edited by Touchdown

Not too long ago the Blue Jays were pretty damn good and pulled in a lot of fans plus they have 2 WS Titles. The now defunct Montréal Expos where not a bad franchise either although no rings they did have some good years. The Totonto Raptors well... eh :shrug:.

I wouldn't say expanding to Canada would be bad for the NFL though. The CFL pulls in fans an NFL franchise would likely pull in a lot more than a CFL franchise. You would have to rename the "National Football League" to something like the "North American Football League" though :p

All the teams mentioned have had a difficult time bribing in fans, and therefore money. I don't think location affects a team's ability to succeed, but rather to generate enough support and money.

Just look at when the Bears played Buffalo in Toronto last year, a move by the Bills to gain support in Canada. The place was very empty, and from what I saw on TV, most if the people there were Bears fans.

Trojans may add a hurdle to the NFL's return

Ever since the NFL left Southern California in 1995, USC has held the mantle of L.A.'s championship football team.

But with the city now moving to bring professional football back to L.A., USC could block efforts to have the new team play at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during the three to four years that a proposed football stadium would be under construction downtown.

The Coliseum is home to USC football and the school's lease gives the Trojans veto power over the NFL returning to the stadium, which is across the street from the campus and once hosted the Rams, Raiders and Chargers franchises.

City Councilman Bernard C. Parks, whose district includes the Coliseum, said that a USC administrator told him that the school intends to exercise the veto unless it receives a new "master lease" that would give the private university near-total control of the publicly owned stadium.

Parks, who also sits on the Coliseum's governing commission, said he would oppose such a lease, believing that it would allow USC to keep other events out of the stadium, such as soccer games, Fourth of July celebrations and even a third Olympic Games. "I do not believe that I could realistically turn over a public facility to a private institution," he said.

A USC spokesman said the administrator who spoke to Parks, Thomas Sayles, was traveling and not available for an interview. In emailed statements, Sayles, USC's senior vice president for university relations, said the school is "open to discussions on a mutually beneficial arrangement" regarding an NFL team.

But he added that "for some time we have believed that having a master lease is in the best long-term interests of the community and the university."

Source: L.A Times

I don't want more teams added to the league, 32 is fine. It's a really good system right now and fairer than any other professional sport. If they increase to 34 then it will mess everything up.

I'd like to see some more teams, the talent level is up there and there is talented players having to go to other leagues now.

Cities I think would have an NFL team.

Los Angeles(give them 2)

Chicago(besides the Bears)

Toronto

That would add 4 new teams to the NFL, and I think to keep things even in the divisions the NFL would need to add 4 more teams and I think the following cities would be solid candidates.

Oklahoma City

Salt Lake City

Charleston SC

Memphis

Portland, OR

Calgary

There are cities without NFL teams which I don't think I'd put one in.

Milwaukee-The Packers basically own this city and I just don't see it working

Las Vegas-Love the city, but the gambling and heat are too much

Richmond, VA- With the Redskins, Eagles and Ravens so close it just wouldn't be a good fit.