Vorcha

Longer NFL Seasons....

What does everyone think about making the NFL seasons longer? Baseball season, in my opinion, is way to long as it is right now and we have to wait forever for the next season to start

No thanks. If it ain't broke, dont fix it. There is enough injuries as it is. The format is great right now.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think the season should go back to 14 games. 16 games is great, but I feel that the general population begins to lose interest by week 13 or so. The league has done a good job making the last game or two divisional games, but to fans whose teams are out of the playoffs, they have lost their interest. 18 games not only waters down a good product but it adds the risk of injury and also makes for a shorter offseason, which could potentially keep players out of camp and the preseason who could normally come to play. Now the argument comes up about taking out two preseason games, but that is a bad idea. Do a lot of people get bored during the preseason? Yes. But I have to admit I enjoy it. The preseason is a chance to watch people play at their hardest in order to earn starting spots. It's ultimately the battle of wills and talent and you get to watch your team compete not to win, but to play. They are earning their jobs, so they'll give it that extra yard. The way a lot of lesser known players prove themselves is through the preseason. Two games isn't enough time and doesn't give an individual who isn't a starter the time to prove himself. You cannot prove yourself fully in camp because you are not playing the real game-you are playing a simulated practice game. Rookies learn the speed and pace of the game and it gives them experience as well. Keep 16 games and do not remove preseason games. The system is fine where it is.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with keeping it at 16, but wouldn't mind seeing it extend to 18. More football is always good in my book.

I think the season is fine as it is. Although I do miss football a bit in the offseason, I think what I see during the season more than makes up for that.

I don't mind it the way it is but I'm also pretty much just as a big of a baseball nut as a football nut so it goes by faster.

Players are compensated well...

Drop two preseason games and add two regular season games. Increase the roster/game day roster.

I think getting rid of two-a-days, less practices with pads and mandatory days off during camp etc in the new CBA set up for a potential future addition of two regular season games.

Keep it as is. I don't think we need longer seasons.

The comment about fans losing enthusiasm after week 13 made me confused, though. Why are you on these boards if you're losing attention before the playoffs even started?

I'm not one of the fans who becomes uninterested after week 13. This website is for the passionate fans. I'm talking about a large chunk of the population, people who are fans but not passionate. I was in no way referring to myself. I meant that the people who watch it and occassionally attend games. I know many people who are just moderate fans and that lose interest by week 13 because the season has gone on for too long or their team is out of the playoffs. 16 games is the max for good quality football. 14 is preferable, but 18 is just too much for the reasons I stated in the post above.

I'm not one of the fans who becomes uninterested after week 13. This website is for the passionate fans. I'm talking about a large chunk of the population, people who are fans but not passionate. I was in no way referring to myself. I meant that the people who watch it and occassionally attend games. I know many people who are just moderate fans and that lose interest by week 13 because the season has gone on for too long or their team is out of the playoffs. 16 games is the max for good quality football. 14 is preferable, but 18 is just too much for the reasons I stated in the post above.

Nonetheless, I don't think that 16 games if too long at all, especially considering how long other sports seasons are.

It isn't terrible by any means, but I definitely think 14 games makes each one worth a bit more. I'm not saying to make a one game season because of the value it'll have, and I'm perfectly fine with 16, but if going back to 14 were proposed, I wouldn't be against it.

It isn't terrible by any means, but I definitely think 14 games makes each one worth a bit more. I'm not saying to make a one game season because of the value it'll have, and I'm perfectly fine with 16, but if going back to 14 were proposed, I wouldn't be against it.

Well now you're kind of backtracking from your original statement. I guess now I agree with you that 16 games is better than 14, even though before you did say that 14 would be better.

I still would prefer 14, but 16 is where it's at and I think 16 regular season and 4 preseason games is a fine format to play by.

16's sweet.

btw on this topic, my friend asks me why NFL season is only 16 games long compared to basketball and hockey being somewhere about 82 games long. i told him the obvious reasons like injuries, the fact a game takes 3-4 hours etc. but then he argues how you don't need stamina to play in the NFL unlike football so there should be longer seasons.

i wanna slap him. how do i justify the NFL's 16 game season without resorting to violence? I HATE LOSING ARGUMENTS.

16's sweet.

btw on this topic, my friend asks me why NFL season is only 16 games long compared to basketball and hockey being somewhere about 82 games long. i told him the obvious reasons like injuries, the fact a game takes 3-4 hours etc. but then he argues how you don't need stamina to play in the NFL unlike football so there should be longer seasons.

i wanna slap him. how do i justify the NFL's 16 game season without resorting to violence? I HATE LOSING ARGUMENTS.

You already did justify the 16 game season. This guy is an idiot. Football players are much more more prone to injury than baseball/basketball players. Also the game of football puts a lot more wear and tear on your body. If games were played every other day like they are in basketball (or every day like in baseball) the number of injuries would be ridiculous.

We all wanna watch more football and start the season earlier while we sit around and wait for it all Summer, but we don't see the drawbacks. Alot of guys can't even last 16 games. The Superbowl teams play 24. The whole fact that there are as few games as there are makes each one so meaningful, and that's why we all insist on dedicating entire days/weekends/weeks to watching the games. The infrequency is probably the biggest asset and drives the entertainment of the sport.

Even if there's more games, teams will rest their starters even earlier when they get the automatic in. And what would that equal to? A preseason game. I'd rather get all the bullshit games out of the way instead of right before the playoffs.. but that's just me.

I'm an 18-game regular season advocate. I see no reason the tin-god millionaire tough-guy football players can't play two additional games, as well as preseason and post-season games as they are now. More football is good for the fans and a longer season weeds out the really weak teams.

I like it the way it is, but of course as a huge fan of the game I wouldn't mind seeing it extended to 18 games either. However, I think we'd see a lot more players being injured since they already take a toll on their bodies as it is right now.

I wanna keep it at 16.

The only thing 18 games will do is cause more injuries and make the owners even more money [that they don't need.]

I love it the way it is.

16 is fine, but bring back NFL Europe, XFL, something in addition to Arena Football for the offseason....offseason sucks...

ok, so honestly 16 isn't fine...maybe a 2nd season where none of the starters play... giving the backups more opportunities to play, instead of collecting checks.