Sign in to follow this  
badgers

Need suggestion/advice

This year, I will be running my dad's ESPN FF team in hopes that he won't come in last yet again.

Luckily for him, he has the 1st pick in the draft.

Who should I pick and why? Or give me your top 3 or top 5 or something.

My top 5:

Rodgers QB

Peterson RB

Johnson RB

Vick QB

Charles RB

Those aren't in any order but based on last years PPG they were top 5.

Somebody reply to this please. Razor gave me his suggestion via Shout out box.

We have the ESPN Standard league.

I looked at player rankings for the Standard League, Peterson was first...

but then I saw Rodgers and he has about 50 more estimated points for 2011 than anybody else in FF but he was ranked 7. I'm trying to figure out why...

a lot of it has to do with the value of certain positions, there are a number of factors that make RBs more valuable than QBs in general, mainly two facets: you start two-three RBs compared to one QB and the quality of QBs behind the top tier is much better than the quality of RBs behind the top tier, but ultimately it comes down to who you want because when you pick first, neither of those players will be available to you for your next pick, if you would rather have the #1 QB on your team, go for Rodgers, if you'd rather have the #1 RB go for Peterson, or Johnson, or Foster, or whoever you think will be the best player. The key with the #1 pick is to get the guy you think makes the best cornerstone for your team, you can read all of the rankings you want but at the end of the draft the most important thing is that you be happy with the team you drafted.

Barring injuries, I'd go Vick

Running and passing yards.

Barring injuries, I'd go Vick

Running and passing yards.

There is just SOOOO much risk in taking him haha...

Thanks guys for the advice.

Dude, are you nuts? First of all tell your Dad to put on his old man reading glasses and do some research. Second, please inform us of scoring formats if you're going to ask for advice and then annoyingly bump and say "hay guiz halp mee!!!" Lastly, how many stud runningbacks who have consistently stayed on the field for all three downs, stayed injury free, and racked up 1200+ yards from scrimmage while punching an adequate amount of TDs? You've got Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice. I'm tempted to throw in Maurice Jones Drew because he claims he's at 100%, but we don't really know until week 1. If you are one of the 5 teams to score one of these types of runningbacks, you will go far, pure and simple. If you are insistant on having a top QB that racks up 30+ TDs, then you can quite easily snag Peyton Manning or Drew Brees in the 2nd/3rd round double pick you get, then grab a top wideout like Calvin on the flip. You won't need to go runningback at this point because you already have Chris Johnson or Arian Foster, and all you would need to do to be set at that point is hunt for sleeper in the 5th/6th round like Felix Jones, Mike Tolbert, Daniel Thomas, Ryan Grant, or someone of the like. Just take a couple runningback gambles like this later on, because all you need to do to be set at RB is hit successfully on one of them, and you've got your tandem, while still having lots of points from the QB and WR position.

Dude, are you nuts? First of all tell your Dad to put on his old man reading glasses and do some research. Second, please inform us of scoring formats if you're going to ask for advice and then annoyingly bump and say "hay guiz halp mee!!!" Lastly, how many stud runningbacks who have consistently stayed on the field for all three downs, stayed injury free, and racked up 1200+ yards from scrimmage while punching an adequate amount of TDs? You've got Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice. I'm tempted to throw in Maurice Jones Drew because he claims he's at 100%, but we don't really know until week 1. If you are one of the 5 teams to score one of these types of runningbacks, you will go far, pure and simple. If you are insistant on having a top QB that racks up 30+ TDs, then you can quite easily snag Peyton Manning or Drew Brees in the 2nd/3rd round double pick you get, then grab a top wideout like Calvin on the flip. You won't need to go runningback at this point because you already have Chris Johnson or Arian Foster, and all you would need to do to be set at that point is hunt for sleeper in the 5th/6th round like Felix Jones, Mike Tolbert, Daniel Thomas, Ryan Grant, or someone of the like. Just take a couple runningback gambles like this later on, because all you need to do to be set at RB is hit successfully on one of them, and you've got your tandem, while still having lots of points from the QB and WR position.

Well, my dad is the president of his company and just doesn't have the time to run his little fantasy football league, so that's why I'm helping him out. He puts his team in there as a measure of good friendship, if you will, between him and all of his employees. Second, I just told you guys what the scoring system was, it's the 4th post down. I forgot to mention it in the original message was all. So clearly you didn't read past that post.

I've never really gotten into FF much but I'm helping my dad because, well, it's just something we like to talk about. Football. Because of my lack of experience in FF leagues, that's why I'm asking for help, and why my posts may seem to lack the information that you so desperately need to help me.

As for Manning: is his neck still a problem? I know he sat out week 1 presesason, I'm sure that was just precautionary but still I don't know if it'll keep him back during regular season.

Brees: Definitely solid, but his INT count last year was huge. If I could think of one reason not to pick him, that'd be it, though I doubt he'll repeat that ugly affair.

Rodgers: He can run, he can pass, but his concussions are an issue.

If I was to take a RB first, I'd be taking Peterson. So it's between Peterson and a QB as of right now, unless I can get a stronger argument to consider a different RB.

You could go a bunch of different ways... With the #1 pick, look at production and injury history.

Peterson, Rodgers, and Tom Brady would be solid considerations. With guys like Jamaal Charles creeping in mind as well.

It just depends on how deep you think each position is and how fast you expect them to go. If you think you can get a solid QB late.. Like a Josh Freeman, you can pass on an elite QB. If you think an elite back won't be there by the time you pick again... Then that is where you want to be.

So.. I'd probably go RB... Peterson is the safest and arguably the best choice. Foster was AMAZING last year... but that offense is so potent.. It might be a little risky to take him #1.

Jamaal Charles should be garnering some consideration as well. The biggest knock on him is that Todd Haley and the Chiefs really restrict his carries... But they said they will be giving him more carries this year. Chiefs are also coming off a really easy schedule and who knows how that will come into play.... So... also a little risky, but could pay off big.

Maybe it's just me(probably is) but I'm trying to stay away from Chris Johnson until he actually reports. To me it looks like it's going to turn into another Vincent Jackson type hold out.

It's a 90% chance I take Peterson. Johnson was never really in the running for me.

Take the dude who has taken more hits, gotten less total yards over the last three years, and plays on a worse team. Makes sense to me. Watching him up close and personal in your own divisional games must have alot to influence your opinion.

Maybe it's just me(probably is) but I'm trying to stay away from Chris Johnson until he actually reports. To me it looks like it's going to turn into another Vincent Jackson type hold out.

They always report. Especially when its one of the league's top players, the best player on a team, and a guy of that calibur. They always get their money or decide to play when week 1 comes. Vincent was an extreme case. The threat hasn't played out about 90% of the time over the last handful of years.

They always report. Especially when its one of the league's top players, the best player on a team, and a guy of that calibur. They always get their money or decide to play when week 1 comes. Vincent was an extreme case. The threat hasn't played out about 90% of the time over the last handful of years.

and there was a lot more to Jackson's case that isn't complicating Johnson's, for one Jackson was supposed to be an unrestricted free agent able to test the market and almost certainly get his big pay day, instead the labor dispute made him a RFA and let the Chargers give him a much lower tender, which got Jackson pissed off before negotiation started, then they cut that tender offer to under $600K when he didn't show up to camp, the Titans haven't done that (because he's under contract we don't have the mechanism to pull the exact same maneuver, but we can fine him $30K for each day he doesn't show up, which the Tennessean reports as a potential fine of $630K) so while Jackson would have gotten just under $600K if he had just shown up week 1, Johnson will be getting just over $1M if he shows up week 1