Sign in to follow this  
O-Town

Offense Anyone???

So after listening to NFL sports talk for the last month it was pretty much a unified opinion of countless NFL "experts" that we would see a lack of offense due to the lockout and camps being affected and QBs having limited reps with their WRs.

All I've seen is a ton of 300+ yard games from almost every QB in the league this past weekend.

IMO, this is going to be a record breaking year in several QB categories and RBs are only going to matter in clock control.

Thoughts???

And we had a record number of kick/punt return TDs in an opening week. So much for the new kickoff rule affecting special teams play.

I will say though, I do think the lockout is affecting what we are seeing. Defenses aren't as complex as we've seen which is why I think you have QBs exploiting coverages so easily. Tackling around the league in week 1 was pretty terrible. So while the media was wrong in terms of the offenses being affected by a lack of trainig camp, it does seem the defenses were somewhat slowed.

If teams were allowed to hit more in camp... I think the analysts would have been right. But the way the new rules are set up, offenses are favored in practice a lot. They can really do 100% of what they're trying to do in any given rep. The defense can only get to the ball in practice, but not finish the play. And we saw sloppy tackling all around the league. Just another step in building a high scoring NFL. Pass interference opened up the pass game, and this could open up the run game.

• Upvote 1

I really didn't see anything change because of the lockout. Other than practice routines. Seemed the games were just as good of quality as they were last season, even with the short off-season. In fact, there were actually a few more good games than I expected.

As westbrook said I think this is just evidence that the new practice rules are having an effect on the fundamentals of the game and allowing the offense yet another advantage. The Bears for example, are the only defense that played well for the most part. Even they had trouble stopping certain plays though. Yardage wise Ryan and Turner had pretty good games, they just didn't get the touchdowns. The other games were mainly just a product of poor offensive play and less good defensive play.

Edited by Shotgun