Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

AFC West up for grabs?

AFC West title in the wind  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the AFC West in 2011?

The Chiefs put a 28-0 beat down on the Oakland Raiders on Sunday afternoon. Regardless of the fact that Oakland's starting QB was injured the week before, almost every single analyst that I saw pick the game picked the Raiders to blow the Chiefs out. Now that the game has been played, all the tunes have changed.

The Chargers were going into New Meadowlands stadium to take on a "bad" Jets team in a game that they needed to keep a good lead on the rest of the West. Again, most of the "experts" were taking the Chargers to run away with this one. Again, they were wrong, and instead it was the Jets getting back into the playoff picture.

That being said, the rundown in the AFC West looks like this:

Chargers, 4-2

Raiders, 4-3

Chiefs, 3-3

Broncos, 2-4

With the Chiefs playing the Chargers on Monday night football and the Raiders on the bye in week 8, is the AFC West once again up for grabs? The Chargers have a one game lead on the Chiefs and a half game lead on the Raiders.

If the Chiefs can pull of a win in week 8, there is a three way tie atop the AFC West standings with 9 more games and plenty of division matchups to be played.

Who do you have winning the West and why?

Edited by B-isforBowe

San Diego. Weak-ass schedule, and they're simply a better team than KC. If KC overcomes injuries to their best safety, their starting tight end, and their starting RB, that would be one hell of a feat.

The Chiefs have only beaten the Vikes, Colts, and a beat-up Raiders team who was playing a bad QB, *and* DMC got hurt. I honestly don't see them as being that good, and won't until they beat San Diego, Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay. (I don't know what their schedule is, but I do know they play the NFC North.)

San Diego. Weak-ass schedule, and they're simply a better team than KC. If KC overcomes injuries to their best safety, their starting tight end, and their starting RB, that would be one hell of a feat.

The Chiefs have only beaten the Vikes, Colts, and a beat-up Raiders team who was playing a bad QB, *and* DMC got hurt. I honestly don't see them as being that good, and won't until they beat San Diego, Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay. (I don't know what their schedule is, but I do know they play the NFC North.)

I'm picking K.C., and I admit that it's a little bit of a homer pick. I have to agree that the Chiefs aren't exactly a "good" team this season, and mostly for the injuries that you stated. However, neither is anyone else in the AFC West. They're on a 3 game winning streak, and while the Chiefs haven't really beaten anyone, neither have the Chargers—Dolphins by 10, Vikings by 7, Chiefs by 3, and Broncos by 5.

As far as San Diego's schedule, they still have to play the Lions, Packers, Bears, Bills, and Ravens along with the whole AFC West again. Niether team really has an "easy" road in 2011. I'm more than a little curious to see how things pan out in this division.

Chargers @ Chiefs on Monday night is a big game as far as the outcome of the AFC West goes. With Denver out of the picture and Oakland without a QB, it's going to come down to Chiefs and Chargers.

Edited by B-isforBowe

I'm picking K.C., and I admit that it's a little bit of a homer pick. I have to agree that the Chiefs aren't exactly a "good" team this season, and mostly for the injuries that you stated. However, neither is anyone else in the AFC West. They're on a 3 game winning streak, and while the Chiefs haven't really beaten anyone, neither have the Chargers—Dolphins by 10, Vikings by 7, Chiefs by 3, and Broncos by 5.

As far as San Diego's schedule, they still have to play the Lions, Packers, Bears, Bills, and Ravens along with the whole AFC West again. Niether team really has an "easy" road in 2011. I'm more than a little curious to see how things pan out in this division.

Chargers @ Chiefs on Monday night is a big game as far as the outcome of the AFC West goes. With Denver out of the picture and Oakland without a QB, it's going to come down to Chiefs and Chargers.

I don't think the Broncos are "out of the picture." They are two back with 9 to go. Far stranger things have happened in the AFC West.

San Diego has a good shot at beating the Lions, Bears, Bills, and Ravens. I don't see the Chiefs winning any of those games- and I think they have to play all the same teams- minus two teams.

Who are the two teams KC has to play that SD does not, and vice versa?

I just don't see KC beating the Chargers in either of their head-to-head matchups, and that, in the end, is why I think San Diego wins it. If the Chiefs can go into Qualcomm and win, that's a huge point in their favor, although whoever wins the West is a waste of a playoff spot, IMHO. They're gonna get pasted by the wildcard again, unless something dramatic happens in the second half of the season.

I don't think the Broncos are "out of the picture." They are two back with 9 to go. Far stranger things have happened in the AFC West.

San Diego has a good shot at beating the Lions, Bears, Bills, and Ravens. I don't see the Chiefs winning any of those games- and I think they have to play all the same teams- minus two teams.

Who are the two teams KC has to play that SD does not, and vice versa?

I just don't see KC beating the Chargers in either of their head-to-head matchups, and that, in the end, is why I think San Diego wins it. If the Chiefs can go into Qualcomm and win, that's a huge point in their favor, although whoever wins the West is a waste of a playoff spot, IMHO. They're gonna get pasted by the wildcard again, unless something dramatic happens in the second half of the season.

K.C. already lost in San Diego. The two teams that are different on the schedule are the Steelers and the Colts. The Chargers have to play the Ravens and Jacksonville.

Chiefs WILL beat the Chargers this week in Arrowhead and tie the division up. :bookit: Then, it's all up to the Chiefs or Chargers to make the most out of a tough schedule.

Raiders are out of the picture IMO. It's a shame with such a promising start, but Jason Campbell was doing the right things to get the Raiders to win, he finally looked comfortable in an offense, and then wham, gets injured. Who knows with the Chiefs now, they're getting hot right now and a few more big wins like that and they can carry the momentum to a division title. The Chargers' window has closed, and I still the Broncos are a year away from really competing for the title.

Raiders are out of the picture IMO. It's a shame with such a promising start, but Jason Campbell was doing the right things to get the Raiders to win, he finally looked comfortable in an offense, and then wham, gets injured. Who knows with the Chiefs now, they're getting hot right now and a few more big wins like that and they can carry the momentum to a division title. The Chargers' window has closed, and I still the Broncos are a year away from really competing for the title.

Okay Razor. It sounds like you have it narrowed down to the Chiefs and Chargers, so who ya got? Take a stand, my man.

I don't wanna but if I have to... it's the Chargers.

I don't wanna but if I have to... it's the Chargers.

:(

I understand why you picked them. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Much love Razor. I'm taking the Chiefs for obvious reasons.

Either way though, I get the feeling that it's gonna be a lot of fun watching to see how everything shakes out.

Man, despite the Chargers record I really don't think they pull it off this year. I think that the Raiders are the best team, but Carson Palmer looked like a pop-warner quarterback on the field this past Sunday.

The Broncos, LOL

If the Chiefs looked real good against the Raiders, I think if they go on a tear, they can over-take the Chargers for the division.