Sign in to follow this  
Duck Fallas

Redskins to mortgage future?

I must admit, I fucking love the phrase "Mortgage the future" in reference to a sports team (The Washington Redskins, in this instance) who is willing to give up an substantial number of draft picks in order to land a coveted player. It looks like that is exactly what the Redskins are prepared to do:

Without question, the St. Louis Rams' second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft is one of the most coveted draft slots in years.

Debate: The RGIII sweepstakes

The Rams' No. 2 pick is on the auction block. Which team needs Robert Griffin III the most? Our analysts debate. More ...

And the Rams, who already have their own franchise quarterback in Sam Bradford, have made it known they have every intention of trading the pick, sources have told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. So it might not be a surprise that the Washington Redskins reportedly are prepared to give up a significant bundle of picks in order to move up to the No. 2 pick.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday, citing multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the Redskins are willing to trade two first-round picks (this year's No. 6 selection and next year's No. 1) in addition to a number of mid- to late-round picks to move up to select Griffin.

But the Redskins aren't the only team with a top-10 pick interested in dealing with the Rams.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch also reported Tuesday the Rams have had very preliminary discussions with the Cleveland Browns (pick No. 4 overall), the Miami Dolphins (No. 8) and the Redskins, in addition to a couple of other teams outside of the top 10.

According to The Post, the Redskins' interest in such a trade could hinge on what happens during free agency, during which the team could make a run at Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn or Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, if he is released and deemed healthy.

The Rams are believed to be asking for a deal structured similarly to what the San Diego Chargers received when they traded the draft rights of Eli Manning to the New York Giants in 2004. Manning was the No. 1 overall pick that year, and the Giants shipped the No. 4 pick, a 2005 first-round pick and their 2004 third- and fourth-round picks to San Diego.

League sources also told The Post that the Redskins are high on Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill and could take him with the sixth pick.

As incredibly impressed as I was with RG3's combine, I just don't know if I want my Redskins to do it, especially when they could get the #3 rated QB (Ryan Tannehill) with their 6th pick and not have to give up a damn thing.

I'm gonna keep saying it till im blue in the face. If you are any team in need of a franchise QB, and RGIII is there, you should absolutely go after him. Only area where I see a reason to not go after him is if your truly not sold on him or he's just way too pricey.

I'm gonna keep saying it till im blue in the face. If you are any team in need of a franchise QB, and RGIII is there, you should absolutely go after him. Only area where I see a reason to not go after him is if your truly not sold on him or he's just way too pricey.

'mortgaging the future' is too pricey.

RGIII has an amazing skill set... He's smarter than you'd expect and he has pinpoint accuracy. I very much look forward to his development in this league.

However... The Rams asking price is just too steep.

'mortgaging the future' is too pricey.

RGIII has an amazing skill set... He's smarter than you'd expect and he has pinpoint accuracy. I very much look forward to his development in this league.

However... The Rams asking price is just too steep.

The last time I saw it, it was a 1,2,3,1.

The Falcons last year made that trade over a wide receiver, that imo was dumb. Making that kinda trade over a potential franchise QB would be a wise decision. Especially one with Griffin's potential.

He has to be more than a franchise QB for a 1,2,3 & next years 1.

A couple of division titles and a mediocre playoff record will not translate to the Skins getting worth out of that trade.

RGIII would need to take that Redskins team and win AT LEAST one Super Bowl, and it'd be nice if he eventually became a top tier QB.

Odds are if they don't give up those picks they might end up with 2 starters and a couple back-ups. I'd give that up for a very promising QB that could turn around the franchise. It's the one position that can take a 7 win team to a 11+ win team. The Redskins have been bad for a while now. It's either QB or bust imo.

Odds are if they don't give up those picks they might end up with 2 starters and a couple back-ups. I'd give that up for a very promising QB that could turn around the franchise. It's the one position that can take a 7 win team to a 11+ win team. The Redskins have been bad for a while now. It's either QB or bust imo.

They are going to get two starters out of two first rounders, a second, and a third? If that's the case, they need a new group of scouts. They can end up with a franchise player in this years draft if they play their cards right (Not RGIII) and maybe next year too if they still suck and get another top pick.

I don't see us giving up our first three picks in this year's draft to move up, that is too steep. Maybe a 1 this year 1 and 2 next and maybe a 4th and 5th this season.

Although, if giving up a 1,2 and 3 this year was ALL we had to give up? I think we'd do that for sure.

They are going to get two starters out of two first rounders, a second, and a third? If that's the case, they need a new group of scouts. They can end up with a franchise player in this years draft if they play their cards right (Not RGIII)

The odds of that one 2nd and one 3rd round player being long-term starters (more than a couple years) is pretty slim. The 2 firsts don't have a fantastic chance of panning out, either. Sure they could draft a great defensive player, but he won't get them to the playoffs. Neither will any offensive player so long as they have a crappy QB.

What else would they do? Reach for Tannehill? He's a 2nd round talent at best that'll go in the top-10. I suppose they could trade a 1st for Flynn, but his upside athletically is far less than RGIII's.

RGIII is more than talented enough to be a #1 overall pick. It's not just his athletics, he's smart. The only reason he won't be is because of Luck, who could have been the #1 last year over Cam if he wanted. He's well worth trading up to take the shot.

maybe next year too if they still suck and get another top pick.

You mean after they fire Shanahan and his staff? I doubt he'll be willing to risk that.

Maybe I'm spoiled as a Packer fan... because in the last 3 years, we've gotten 4 franchise type - long term starters. In the first round, that is. And the year before that with our first pick (it was a high 2nd rounder) we got Jordy Nelson...

Derek Sherrod - Obviously the least likely of them, being that he broke his leg. But he played well in his limited chances. He'll come back and likely be our starting and future RT

Bryan Bulaga - Arguably one of the best RT in the league.. Probably gonna try him out at LT this offseason

Clay Matthews - Derp

BJ Raji - Derp

Edited by Favre4Ever
Small mistake regarding years.

Maybe I'm spoiled as a Packer fan... because in the last 3 years, we've gotten 4 franchise type - long term starters.

Yeah, that.

People seem to forget or just plain overlook that this is only the second off-season for Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen with the Redskins. The team has been so poorly run for the last 15 years, that people expect more of the same bullshit. I honestly cannot think of a single move last year that felt like it had the expected touch of Dan Snyder's hands.

The Packers have pretty much been one of the best-run teams over the last several years, and it shows in their drafts.

To be fair... You guys only have a 1st round pick like half the time :biggrin:

To be fair... You guys only have a 1st round pick like half the time :biggrin:

lol. Good point, which pretty much confirms my previous point about being so poorly run for the last 15 years.

lol. Good point, which pretty much confirms my previous point about being so poorly run for the last 15 years.

So... maybe you should keep your first rounders and use them for once. ;)

Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Trent Williams... Not a bad group over the last three years. Williams got better in 2011 until his suspension thing. Kerrigan I didn't really see much of but I don't think anyone has said he was awful or anything.

So... maybe you should keep your first rounders and use them for once. ;)

Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Trent Williams... Not a bad group over the last three years. Williams got better in 2011 until his suspension thing. Kerrigan I didn't really see much of but I don't think anyone has said he was awful or anything.

I think we should keep our first rounders, but it is just so tough to pass up on a potential franchise QB.

Kerrigan's rookie season was only overshadowed because of Von Miller and Aldon Smith having monster seasons for any player, not to mention rookies.