Piggly Wiggly

SCF: #6 New Jersey Devils #8 Los Angeles Kings

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Newark Devils
    • Los Angeles Kings

Kings in 6.

What do I win?

Great series, good attempt at a comeback by NJ, but there's a reason a 3-0 hole is so hard to climb back out of.

• Upvote 1

Wonderful.... I pick against the Devils all year they get to the Final... I pick for the Devils and they lose the series :lol:

At least I got the games right.

Congrats to the kings they deserved to win the cup and really put on a show to win it in game 6. Be interesting to see how many stars they keep as they really do have a good solid base to progress on

Bangy, The Kings won the cup now hurry up and switch bandwagons

First off congratulations to the Los Angeles Kings, they definitely were the best team in the NHL in these playoffs and fully deserve the Stanley Cup. I'm glad I got to see this team live and in person this season.

As for the Devils I couldn't be more proud of this team, especially in coach DeBoer's FIRST season as head coach, to be the Eastern Conference Champions and in the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in nine years. From the fun ride that always is in the regular season, to the thrilling seven game series against the Panthers and that moment of Henrique scoring in double overtime, to winning four straight to close out the Flyers who I hate the most, and then eliminating the "King" and the #1 seeded Rangers in six to be Eastern Conference Champions.

Not to mention to continue fighting after being down 3-0 and proceed to give the Kings their toughest challenge of the playoffs. Very very proud of this team for giving me one of the seasons I will always remember when I think about the most fun.

Not sure how this team will look with the offseason and the free agents we have but I have confidence in our coach (for the first time since before the lockout). Also I now hope Marty comes back for at least one more season. He earned it with his playoff performance.

• Upvote 2

Okay, this post will consist of separate views. First, the bitter Devils fan:

1. Maybe it's because a lot of you guys don't like the Devils, the series is over so why bother - whatever the reason may be, but I don't understand why the Bernier boarding call isn't being talked about on here. It's certainly an issue being discussed on satellite radio. I'm not that blind that I can't admit it was a penalty, hell it was a double minor...but to throw the player out of the game? in the Stanley Cup fucking Finals?! Sorry, that doesn't flow with me.

THEN the referee runs into Volchenkov which leads to the fourth goal!

I said it last night I'll say it again, if you don't think the referee influenced the outcome of this game: you're an idiot. The Kings were the better team overall, the Kings were probably going to win the game anyway, but for it to go down like that was not the way NHL should go about getting more fans cause that was a complete joke last night.

2. Congratulations to the LA Kings. Regardless of my team being the opponent, it's always nice to see a franchise that's never won a trophy get their first (except you, Igglez). A lot of credit goes to Sutter. When he was hired in December, that team made a huge turnaround and if you've watched this season before the playoffs you could see that in their games. Conn Smythe goes to Quick which is well deserved. The guy was a beast throughout the playoffs and the team as a whole was hot. Los Angeles' execution and penalty kill were spectacular. Now, onto my guys...

As a New Jersey Devils fan, I'm more than proud of the way they performed this season and playoffs. I was fortunate enough to see this team live 6 times including ECF game 4 vs Rangers. This subject is even more special to me because prior to this season, I've been to about 17 Devils games and they've only won once. The 6 games I saw this year they won four times so it was nice to break the curse lol. It was a hell of a season. We were favorites to get by Florida in the first round and barely beat them, but then went on to dominate Philly (suck it SteVo, sean lol) and knock out our rivals, #1 seeded New York Rangers (owned, Phil). That was enough satisfaction for me since a lot of my friends/family are fans of those teams haha.

I can't say enough about DeBoer. Once the news broke we hired this guy, I was admittedly nervous looking at his resume, but I'm happy to see that I was proven wrong. Pete got the best out of Kovalchuk, gave the players belief, and overall the team playing good hockey in a tough division. It might be a little early for a conclusion like this, but Devils fans it looks like we've found a long-term answer to our coaching problem. Adam Henrique for ROTY, too.

Obviously, I pray we can hold onto Zachary! His interview sounded convincing when he talked about how "he's only young in his Devils career" or something like that. Yeah, that probably doesn't mean shit but let me hold onto that for hope! :p

All in all hockey fans, I think we can all agree that was one hell of a playoffs we got to watch these past couple of weeks!

• Upvote 1

Okay, this post will consist of separate views. First, the bitter Devils fan:

Maybe it's because a lot of you guys don't like the Devils, the series is over so why bother - whatever the reason may be, but I don't understand why the Bernier boarding call isn't being talked about on here. It's certainly an issue being discussed on satellite radio. I'm not that blind that I can't admit it was a penalty, hell it was a double minor...but to throw the player out of the game? in the Stanley Cup fucking Finals?! Sorry, that doesn't flow with me.

THEN the referee runs into Volchenkov which leads to the fourth goal!

I said it last night I'll say it again, if you don't think the referee influenced the outcome of this game: you're an idiot. The Kings were the better team overall, the Kings were probably going to win the game anyway, but for it to go down like that was not the way NHL should go about getting more fans cause that was a complete joke last night.

We did discuss it in the shoutbox, Mav, as well as my post:

Bernier should be the Kings MVP for game 6.

I don't care if the refs miss a call or not, you have to control yourself and not do that. Blatant hit in the back, easy call for at least a double-minor, and they got him for a major. He was completely not playing the puck. Either he was pissed about the no-call, or he was just playing dumb. You cannot do that in the Finals, come on.

And then the Devils have got to be able to PK better than that. 1 goal on a 5min PP is acceptable, three is completely unacceptable.

It was a pretty clear major penalty, sorry, having looked at it several times since. He makes no effort to stop, and an argument could be made he is trying to intentionally injure his opponent. That is unlikely, but it was a very bad penalty.

Not to mention, looking at the rules, my original post and yours is incorrect. A boarding cannot be a double minor:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329

So the refs had two choices: either its a 2min minor, or its a 5min major.

Once they called it a 5min major, then by the rules, an immediate ejection is required, due to the nature of the injury:

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, [boarding], for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

The Devils terrible PK killed you guys. If you expect the refs to be perfect, it's not gonna happen, although I happen to agree with the boarding major on Bernier. You have to be able to kill off penalties. The Kings killed 60 seconds of a 5 on 3 back in game 3.

As far as the 4th goal, go watch the recap here. http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011030416&navid=sb:recap 4th goal sequence starts at 1:53. Yeah, the linesman gets knocked down by NJ player, but the goal isn't scored for another 5s or so, and the Devils are back in position on D, and the shot just goes by Brodeur. Unfortunate? Yes. Not really nearly as bad as most Devils fans make it sound, though.

Edited by Thanatos19

We did discuss it in the shoutbox, Mav, as well as my post:

It was a pretty clear major penalty, sorry, having looked at it several times since. He makes no effort to stop, and an argument could be made he is trying to intentionally injure his opponent. That is unlikely, but it was a very bad penalty.

Not to mention, looking at the rules, my original post and yours is incorrect. A boarding cannot be a double minor:

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26329

So the refs had two choices: either its a 2min minor, or its a 5min major.

Once they called it a 5min major, then by the rules, an immediate ejection is required, due to the nature of the injury:

The Devils terrible PK killed you guys. If you expect the refs to be perfect, it's not gonna happen, although I happen to agree with the boarding major on Bernier. You have to be able to kill off penalties. The Kings killed 60 seconds of a 5 on 3 back in game 3.

As far as the 4th goal, go watch the recap here. http://www.nhl.com/i...&navid=sb:recap 4th goal sequence starts at 1:53. Yeah, the linesman gets knocked down by NJ player, but the goal isn't scored for another 5s or so, and the Devils are back in position on D, and the shot just goes by Brodeur. Unfortunate? Yes. Not really nearly as bad as most Devils fans make it sound, though.

There was actually a hockey discussion going on in the shoutbox? insert shocked smiley here lol.

I don't need to watch the video of the fourth goal because I know the goal didn't come til a couple seconds later, but it still was a result of the action from the ref. It's not fair to declare Devils fans are making it out to be worse than it is. You can't argue that if the referee doesn't run into Anton, the play could change. Maybe it ends up a goal, maybe he pokes it away from the Kings player and we go on a counter, etc. To say it's not an important variable in the sequence of the play is rubbish. You posted the specific rule from the NHL, all the options the ref had, that's all great - but again arguing on the basis of "as a result", we shouldn't even be talking about this if the refs got the boarding call on Gionta correct.

The only reason the missed call on Gionta was so big is because Bernier was an idiot. There are missed calls both ways in the series, but the combination of Bernier having this foul right afterwards and the Devils terrible PK makes it such a big call. That does not, in any way, excuse Bernier for making a terrible foul.

Not to mention, saying that one foul wouldn't have happened if the refs got another foul call correct... that's really stretching things there to blame the refs. You can't always be looking back and going, well, if they had gotten that foul call right, and still missed every other foul call that they missed, then the game might be different. You have to keep playing. Great teams play through that.

And again, the hit on Gionta is a lovetap compared to Bernier's hit. It was probably still a penalty, but it wasn't a blatant one.

As far as the 4th goal goes, you're again using the same excuse. The Devils were re-positioned. The ref didn't knock down a defender, and then the guy scored because the defender was off his feet. The defender ran into him, then got back up, then circled around in front of the net, and then set up, and THEN the shot is taken. You can't keep blaming the ref for that.

Even if the Bernier incident didn't even take place, the Devils were not going to win that game. Kings were destined to hoist the Cup in game 6 one way or another. They should have actually won game 5, but like six shots rang off of the post/crossbar for the Kings. And I never EVER want to hear Marty fucking whine about the opposing goaltender getting lucky with the posts. He cried about it a couple of times in the ECF against the Rangers. Shut the fuck up, Marty, you get just as much help from the posts as does every other goaltender.

Anyways, I think that was the last time we see the Devils in the SCF for quite awhile. They had a fortunate road to the Finals, and they won't be better going forward into next season. They played a lousy ass Florida team (-24 goal differential in the regular season) in the 1st round, a Philly team with no goaltending and defense in the 2nd round, and NYR team with zero offense in the 3rd round. Pretty favorable road for a 6th seed. And I think they will lose Parise, which will be a pretty huge blow. I think he either signs with Detroit or the Rangers (:troll:).

Even if the Bernier incident didn't even take place, the Devils were not going to win that game. Kings were destined to hoist the Cup in game 6 one way or another. They should have actually won game 5, but like six shots rang off of the post/crossbar for the Kings. And I never EVER want to hear Marty fucking whine about the opposing goaltender getting lucky with the posts. He cried about it a couple of times in the ECF against the Rangers. Shut the fuck up, Marty, you get just as much help from the posts as does every other goaltender.

Anyways, I think that was the last time we see the Devils in the SCF for quite awhile. They had a fortunate road to the Finals, and they won't be better going forward into next season. They played a lousy ass Florida team (-24 goal differential in the regular season) in the 1st round, a Philly team with no goaltending and defense in the 2nd round, and NYR team with zero offense in the 3rd round. Pretty favorable road for a 6th seed. And I think they will lose Parise, which will be a pretty huge blow. I think he either signs with Detroit or the Rangers (:troll:).

What is your definition of "crying"? Talking about what is actually happening adoes not constitute as crying in my opinion.

Our road was fortunate? Playing the #1 seed and a team who took out the Cup favorites in six games is favorable now? Why would the road be harder next year if we proved we can beat the Flyers and Rangers both in the playoffs this year? It's not like we struggled to beat them either...

Also you are forgetting this is DeBoer's FIRST year as coach. It can only get better for him implementing his way of doing things. As long as we can shore up our defense we'll be competitive next year (even if we can't bring back Parise).

And considering when they asked Parise about going to the Rangers he said "No way"....I highly doubt he'll be signing there. Keep hoping that though when your offense is shit again next year and the Rangers disappoint their fanbase AGAIN. It's the Ranger way.

• Upvote 1

What is your definition of "crying"? Talking about what is actually happening adoes not constitute as crying in my opinion.

Crying as in the sense of making it sound like he never gets the bounces like other goalies do.

Our road was fortunate? Playing the #1 seed and a team who took out the Cup favorites in six games is favorable now? Why would the road be harder next year if we proved we can beat the Flyers and Rangers both in the playoffs this year? It's not like we struggled to beat them either...

Who cares about seeding? There's really not a huge disparity in postseason play, anymore. All teams play each other close for the most part. When do you really ever see a David vs. Goliath matchup? The Rangers accumulated a mere 7 more points than the Devils. Don't make it sound like the Devils took down a giant in the Rangers lol. And I don't give a fuck if the Pens were labeled the ''Cup favorites'', they were exposed for the fraud team that they were in the 1st round.

Also you are forgetting this is DeBoer's FIRST year as coach. It can only get better for him implementing his way of doing things. As long as we can shore up our defense we'll be competitive next year (even if we can't bring back Parise).

DeBoer is not that good of a head coach. He's more competent than John MacLean, but that doesn't make him anything special lol.

And considering when they asked Parise about going to the Rangers he said "No way"....I highly doubt he'll be signing there. Keep hoping that though when your offense is shit again next year and the Rangers disappoint their fanbase AGAIN. It's the Ranger way.

You sound agitated. :laugh:

Players/coaches say a lot of shit, but don't actually mean it. Remember when Nick Saban said he wasn't going to Alabama while he was with the Dolphins? Yeah, how'd that work out?

Let's see what Parise is saying when he's actually in the thick of it on July 1st.

Crying as in the sense of making it sound like he never gets the bounces like other goalies do.

Did he specifically say "I don't get those bounces?" No. He was making an assessment on what was happening (a true one at that).

Who cares about seeding? There's really not a huge disparity in postseason play, anymore. All teams play each other close for the most part. When do you really ever see a David vs. Goliath matchup? The Rangers accumulated a mere 7 more points than the Devils. Don't make it sound like the Devils took down a giant in the Rangers lol. And I don't give a fuck if the Pens were labeled the ''Cup favorites'', they were exposed for the fraud team that they were in the 1st round.

Okay I'm curious. What would've been a "tough" road for the Devils in your eyes? Who were the Cup Favorites if it wasn't the Rangers, Penguins, or Flyers? And why can't they beat the Rangers and Flyers again next year? If this road wasn't hard I don't imagine next year would be any harder as of now. :shrug:

DeBoer is not that good of a head coach. He's more competent than John MacLean, but that doesn't make him anything special lol.

He took a team a lot of people didn't expect to make the playoffs to the Stanley Cup.....yeah.....nothing special at all. Meanwhile your coach still can't get all that "talent" past the Conference Finals. Jealous that your guy might've been outcoached? :rofl:

Players/coaches say a lot of shit, but don't actually mean it. Remember when Nick Saban said he wasn't going to Alabama while he was with the Dolphins? Yeah, how'd that work out?

Let's see what Parise is saying when he's actually in the thick of it on July 1st.

Nick Saban is one of the slimiest sports figures ever. You're comparing him to Parise? Please. I don't think Parise will be back in a Devils uniform as much as I would like but he DEFINITELY won't be a Ranger I'd put money on that.

Did he specifically say "I don't get those bounces?" No. He was making an assessment on what was happening (a true one at that).

He whines about it. Trust me.

Okay I'm curious. What would've been a "tough" road for the Devils in your eyes? Who were the Cup Favorites if it wasn't the Rangers, Penguins, or Flyers? And why can't they beat the Rangers and Flyers again next year? If this road wasn't hard I don't imagine next year would be any harder as of now. :shrug:

It was a wide open East, IMO. Yeah, the Devils got to the SCF, but it wasn't really a memorable run. People won't be talking about it for the ages. And the strength within the conferences fluctuates every year. Could be a lot of good teams in the East, or just a lot of mediocrity. Either way, I don't expect the Devils to return to the Cup Finals.

He took a team a lot of people didn't expect to make the playoffs to the Stanley Cup.....yeah.....nothing special at all. Meanwhile your coach still can't get all that "talent" past the Conference Finals. Jealous that your guy might've been outcoached? :rofl:

His team came in 2nd place. Want him to have a cookie? :rolleyes: And Torts has already won a Stanley Cup, and has a good shot at getting one next year with a much more experienced Rangers team. Good luck to DeBoer replicating the success the Devils had in this postseason lol.

Nick Saban is one of the slimiest sports figures ever. You're comparing him to Parise? Please. I don't think Parise will be back in a Devils uniform as much as I would like but he DEFINITELY won't be a Ranger I'd put money on that.

Don't get so defensive, mongo. It was an EXAMPLE. Point is, just because he says something doesn't mean he'll be true to it. You don't think he'll be considering getting a nice payday from the Rangers, and joining a Cup contending team on Broadway? El oh el. ''No way'', my ass.

It was a wide open East, IMO. Yeah, the Devils got to the SCF, but it wasn't really a memorable run. People won't be talking about it for the ages. And the strength within the conferences fluctuates every year. Could be a lot of good teams in the East, or just a lot of mediocrity. Either way, I don't expect the Devils to return to the Cup Finals.

His team came in 2nd place. Want him to have a cookie? :rolleyes: And Torts has already won a Stanley Cup, and has a good shot at getting one next year with a much more experienced Rangers team. Good luck to DeBoer replicating the success the Devils had in this postseason lol.

It wasn't a memorable run? That's what decides if it was tough or not? Okay. It was a tough road whether you want to admit it or not. Everyone thought Philly was going to PLASTER the Devils (even you) and the Devils got the job done in 5. They beat two REALLY good teams to make the Cup and then, arguably, ran into the best playoff performing team since the lockout.

His team in his first year got a lot farther then any Torts led Ranger team so far. Of course Torts has a good shot at getting one next year that doesn't excuse the fact he had a Stanley Cup talent team this year and couldn't get the job done.

I'm not expecting DeBoer to make the Cup every year that'd be ridiculous. But just because we're possibly going to lose Parise and Salvador doesn't mean we all of a sudden won't be a team in contention. You act like the Rangers are in a better spot to win the Cup next year compared to the Devils? Why when we just beat them in six games?

It wasn't a memorable run? That's what decides if it was tough or not? Okay. It was a tough road whether you want to admit it or not. Everyone thought Philly was going to PLASTER the Devils (even you) and the Devils got the job done in 5. They beat two REALLY good teams to make the Cup and then, arguably, ran into the best playoff performing team since the lockout.

Everyone thought Philly was going to wreck the Devils, because nobody thought the Devils were worth a shit lol. They were 1 goal away from losing to the dog shit Panthers. And the only reason why I picked Florida to beat them in that 1st round is because the Devils have had a knack for choking on their cocks early on in the playoffs in the past several years.

Bottom line, it wasn't that tough of a road for the Devils.

His team in his first year got a lot farther then any Torts led Ranger team so far. Of course Torts has a good shot at getting one next year that doesn't excuse the fact he had a Stanley Cup talent team this year and couldn't get the job done.

Beginner's luck for DeBoer. :yep:

I'm not expecting DeBoer to make the Cup every year that'd be ridiculous. But just because we're possibly going to lose Parise and Salvador doesn't mean we all of a sudden won't be a team in contention.

They wouldn't.

You act like the Rangers are in a better spot to win the Cup next year compared to the Devils? Why when we just beat them in six games?

Because the Rangers will be a lot more experienced. Not to mention, they have some really good kids/prospects ready to contribute. And the offense shouldn't be nearly as bad as it was this year. Plus, it's a lot tougher for the Cup loser to make it back to the Finals. I know the Pens just did it a few years ago, but good teams that have lost in the Conference Finals, usually have a better chance at making the SCF the following year than the team that just lost in the Finals. Recently, the '07 Ducks, '08 Wings, and '10 Blackhawks all lost in the Conference Finals the prior year.

Everyone thought Philly was going to wreck the Devils, because nobody thought the Devils were worth a shit lol. They were 1 goal away from losing to the dog shit Panthers. And the only reason why I picked Florida to beat them in that 1st round is because the Devils have had a knack for choking on their cocks early on in the playoffs in the past several years.

Bottom line, it wasn't that tough of a road for the Devils.

Beginner's luck for DeBoer. :yep:

They wouldn't.

Because the Rangers will be a lot more experienced. Not to mention, they have some really good kids/prospects ready to contribute. And the offense shouldn't be nearly as bad as it was this year. Plus, it's a lot tougher for the Cup loser to make it back to the Finals. I know the Pens just did it a few years ago, but good teams that have lost in the Conference Finals, usually have a better chance at making the SCF the following year than the team that just lost in the Finals. Recently, the '07 Ducks, '08 Wings, and '10 Blackhawks all lost in the Conference Finals the prior year.

If that makes you sleep better bro. Look what happened to last year's Conference Finals Runner Ups. The Sharks got beat thoroughly and the Lightning were one of the worst teams in the league...

History doesn't really mean anything, they're just nice stats. I know you Ranger fans rely on it though considering how much you guys kept thinking it was 1994 during the ECF. :rofl:

Oh and of course NONE of the Devils are gaining experience, like you know Henrique? And maybe it'll help to actually have Zajac play? You act like you guys are the only ones gaining experience. We'll be around next year as will you guys maybe we'll meet again in the playoffs, we'll see.

If that makes you sleep better bro. Look what happened to last year's Conference Finals Runner Ups. The Sharks got beat thoroughly and the Lightning were one of the worst teams in the league...

I'm saying legit teams can often make it to the Finals after losing in the CF previous year. Lightning were a one-year-wonder and the Sharks are notorious playoff chokers. Rangers look like they're one of those ''on the cusp'' teams like the Ducks, Wings, and Hawks were.

History doesn't really mean anything, they're just nice stats. I know you Ranger fans rely on it though considering how much you guys kept thinking it was 1994 during the ECF. :rofl:

I don't think I mentioned 1994 once last series. The only thing I was making a play on was how the Rangers were going to have 7 home games lol.

And judging by this post, you apparently thought it was 2003.

Anyways this is feeling a little like 2003. Devils come in to the Stanley Cup and face a low seeded West team that absolutely blew by their competition thanks to some GREAT goaltending. Back then it was Giguere now it's Quick. Kind of funny how it all adds up.

In 2003 it was Anaheim, this year it's Los Angeles (both California, both Pacific Division).

Anaheim only lost two games before the Stanley Cup....Los Angeles has only lost two games.

Ducks were in pursuit of their first cup....as are the Kings.

Devils had to face a #1 seed in the ECF in 2003, just like this year.

Pete DeBoer was being compared during the Rangers series to Pat Burns, our coach in 2003....just a lot of similarities right now.

So with all that I'm going with Devils in 7.

:laugh:

Oh and of course NONE of the Devils are gaining experience, like you know Henrique? And maybe it'll help to actually have Zajac play? You act like you guys are the only ones gaining experience. We'll be around next year as will you guys maybe we'll meet again in the playoffs, we'll see.

Rangers are a much younger team. Devils have a bunch of players in their late 20s/early 30s, while damn near half the Ranger squad is college-aged. The two Game 7s and 6-game series in the ECF will should pay dividends going forward.

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis