Sarge

2012 Trade Deadline Thread

Olney suggests the Braves could be a fit for Upton (Twitter links). Atlanta could build a deal around third baseman/outfielder Martin Prado and pitching prospects, Olney writes.

Prado involved? DO NOT WANT.

@jonmorosi

#Braves acquire their short-term fix at shortstop: Paul Janish, who arrives from #Reds for RHP Todd Redmond.

As per Nick Cafardo’s Sunday column in the Boston Globe, Jon Lester has “been on the Pirates’ radar” along with the usual suspects of Zack Greinke, Cole Hamels, Matt Garza, and Ryan Dempster. Carfardo goes on to say that, “It doesn’t appear the Sox would deal unless they got exceptional value back, and it doesn’t appear the Pirates would part with pitching prospect Gerrit Cole, whom the Sox would want.”

Lester, 28, is a left-hander that has a triple pitching slash line in 2012 over 112 IP of 4.49 ERA/3.58 FIP/3.61 xFIP, good for a 2.5 WAR to this point. As you can see, he may be getting a tad unlucky, as his ERA is 0.91 runs above his FIP. His K/9 rate is down significantly in the last couple of years — from 9.74 in 2010 to 7.53 in 2012.

With Cole being the price, I would file this one under “kicking the tires” for now.

Pirates shouldn't part with Gerrit Cole,that would be a huge mistake..

I don't know about that. Lester is pretty good in the AL East, he would be totally dominant in the NL Central. McDonald, Lester, Burnett would be an awesome 1-2-3 in our rotation.

I don't know about that. Lester is pretty good in the AL East, he would be totally dominant in the NL Central. McDonald, Lester, Burnett would be an awesome 1-2-3 in our rotation.

Yeah that would be a nasty rotation but Cole is a great prospect..

Is it true that Appel rejected the Pirates' offer and returns to Stanford?I didn't hear the whole story on SportsCenter..

There are rumors that say that there are several teams interested in Shane Victorino..

Edited by housemd

If Pirates could get both Upton and Lester,they would enter the playoff chase with a significant advantage..

Edited by housemd

Even great prospects become busts at at alarming rate. We know what we're getting with Lester and it's awesome. And yes, Appel went back to Stanford... there's also this.

@jaysonst

#Pirates so serious about Justin Upton they're sending signals they could include Starling Marte in an Upton deal -- but not Cole or Taillon

Screw all this LHP reliever talk. We need a reliable RIGHT HANDER to clean up the 7th and 8th innings. Boggs is like the only guy I trust right now in the bull pen. The youngster (although he is 27... lol). Browning has pitched very well since being called up.

Not really trade related, because he got cut, but...

The Cardinals have signed Brian Fuentes to a minor league contract, the team announced (on Twitter). The Beverly Hills Sports Council client was released by the Athletics earlier this week.
Edited by Favre4Ever

I doubt the Pirates would get both Upton and Lester. More likely that they end up with neither right now, although maybe that's just my guardedness.

I doubt the Pirates would get both Upton and Lester. More likely that they end up with neither right now, although maybe that's just my guardedness.

If there's a chance to get one of them,who would you like to get more?

If the reported prices are accurate, Upton any day.

Yeah,Upton and McCutchen combo would be nasty..

Edited by housemd

Right on cue,

@jonmorosi

#Pirates have a scout watching Justin Upton in Chicago this weekend

#UptonWatch has commenced.

The Red Sox have shown interest in Rockies right-hander Rafael Betancourt and have scouted him a few times. Boston likely wouldn't want to give up prospects for him but could offer an outfielder.

The Yankees will stay informed about Cole Hamels’ availability between now and the July 31st trade deadline, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports. But even if the left-

hander's possible extension doesn't materialize and the Phillies decide to

weigh trade offers, Yankees GM Brian

Cashman probably won’t pursue

Hamels as aggressively as he went

after Cliff Lee two years ago.

Zack Greinke will not start Wednesday as scheduled. No reason given yet.

Hmm... could be a trade.

@mlbtraderumors: Phillies Planning To

Offer Hamels $120MM.

Zack Greinke will not start Wednesday as scheduled. No reason given yet.

Hmm... could be a trade.

Brewers GM Bob Melvin insists that there is nothing physically wrong with Greinke, noting that the move is simply for "recharging his batteries."

Numerous pitchers were pushed back. Something managers can afford with the long break.

Sounds fishy to me since Greinke is a trade target for a lot of teams.

Edited by Sarge

Sounds fishy to me since Greinke is a trade target for a lot of teams.

Yeah,I think it's trade related,too..

@mlbtraderumors: Athletics Interested

In Shortstop Help.

Apparently,they could pursue Yunel Escobar or Stephen Drew..

Edited by housemd

Dempster to the Red Sox talks.

Ryan Dempster told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that he’d be willing to re- sign with the Cubs this coming offseason even if he’s traded this

summer.