RazorStar

Razor's Taco Infested Best RB Rankings

Here are some other guys who had similar career arcs before falling off completely. Though I did find that the greats who had 1500+ yard seasons were able to turn in around. Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis etc. So if he's that good, he's that good. I don't think so however.

Eddie George 2000

Gerald Riggs 1985

Barry Foster 1992

Jamal Lewis is sort of an exception, he did have a resurgence in 2007

Herschel Walker 1988

Ahman Green 2003

Deuce McAllister 2003

Joe Morris 1986

Roger Craig 1988

And what part of your last sentence makes a lick of sense? These are the rushing leaders over a significant period of time. Exceptions do happen, but there is a strong pattern.

2011 MJD leads in attempts, leads in yards

2010 Arian Foster third in attempts (7 less than Turner), first in yards

2009 you know this one, Chris Johnson leads in attempts and yards

2008 Adrian Peterson second in attempts (13 less than Turner), first in yards

2007 LaDainian Tomlinson fourth in attempts (10 less than Portis), first in yards

2006 LaDainian Tomlinson second in attempts (68 less than LJ)

2005 Shaun Alexander, first in attempts

2004 Curtis Martin, first in attempts

2003 Jamal Lewis, second in attempts (5 less than Ricky Williams)

2002 Ricky Williams, first in attempts

2001 Priest Holmes, fifth in attempts (29 less than Stephen Davis)

2000 Edgerrin James, second in attempts (16 less than Eddie George)

1999 Edgerrin James, first in attempts

1998 Terrell Davis, second in attempts (18 less than Jamal Anderson)

1997 Barry Sanders, fourth in attempts (40 less than Jerome Bettis)

1996 Barry Sanders, eighth in attempts (46 less than Ricky Watters)

1995 Emmitt Smith, first in attempts

1994 Barry Sanders, fourth in attempts (37 less than Emmitt Smith)

1993 Emmitt Smith, sixth in attempts (72 less than Thurman Thomas)

1992 Emmitt Smith, second in attempts (17 less than Barry Foster)

1991 Emmitt Smith, first in attempts

1990 Barry Sanders, sixth in attempts (42 less than Earnest Byner)

1989 Christian Okoye, first in attempts

1988 Eric Dickerson, first in attempts

1987 Charles White, first in attempts

1986 Eric Dickerson, first in attempts

1985 Marcus Allen, second in attempts (17 less than Gerald Riggs)

I bolded the ones who were close enough to be significant. But yeah, unless you're Barry Sanders, the trend holds most of the time, you're running a lot, you're gonna be leading the league in rushing. And of these guys who do lead the league in rushing, only Terrell Davis and Emmitt Smith were on super bowl winning teams those years.

I appreciate the research done in your post. It seemed you tried to downplay Cj2k5; attempts = success / automatic top yardage etc. It's a strong pattern but isn't a guaranteed rushing title. It takes a special back to be ABLE to handle all those carry in a season as well.

CJ is coming back from being out of football shape. Not a injury; or old age. Add the fact he had no line blocking, equals what happened this year. Now the funny part is WHEN CJ comes back hard this year, it will be because of good line blocking and not his skill. He always plays he hasnt missed a game if i remember correctly. Hes tough. He may not bulldozen thru piles and shit but, that doesnt mean he isnt elite. CJs run against SD, the reverse field run to the end zone is ALL CJ. He had Barry Sanders cuts on that run. He consistently had runs based off his own moves before last year. Gotta watch more then just TD runs on youtube to see em. Elite RBs always make plays. CJ always has even last year when he was getting back into shape.

When Brett Favre came back, a proven HOF QB, finally signed late with the Vikings, his preseason game against SF was UGLY. He wasnt in the football mind/shape to go out thereand light it up right away. CJ same shit last year. His fault he showed up late, but everybody would have shitty play to start back after not being in football shape.

Elite RBs always make plays. CJ always has even last year when he was getting back into shape.

Not saying he isnt elite or not, however I have seen CJ fail on short yardage situations more than a few times. Not saying always but converting the tough yards is not something he is particularly good at.

Not saying he isnt elite or not, however I have seen CJ fail on short yardage situations more than a few times. Not saying always but converting the tough yards is not something he is particularly good at.

Well hes not a brusing back. That doesnt mean hes no elite though. Hes also not just a "speed" back. These terms are stupid bcuz they are used when debating and hating on a playr. Someone will say oh CJ is a speed back blah blah. Ok nobody says AP is just a brusier. AP is better at a couple of things more then CJ. One is trucking, breakin tackles. And blocking. Calvin Johnson is tall as fuck, is that the reason hes good? No. I hate when people will use something thata player has against himself. Is it CJs fault he was the fastest player ine NFL? No. Reggie Bush, Felix Jones are speed backs, if it as JUST bcuz of speed and line blocking, those players would have had stats close to CJ already. They dont so it shows its beyond his speed and line blocking.

Vison, playmaking ability, jukes, cuts, catching, is all CJ. Last year he was out of shape we kno that. Cant use that against him to say hes declined until this year at least. I hope for fucks sae the terrible run blocking is mostly part of Amano sucking dick, and the offense coach and scheme taking its toll in its first year. I hope the oline is at LEAST DECENT this year. If so CJ will be back to being tops in the league for stats for a RB.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

You're not getting it at all. Cam isn't elite, I clearly stated that. But again, way to twist my words. You're really good at that. It was the logic that CJ had done something very few others had done, and the implication that that made it obvious he was elite. You might wanna re-check your stats on LeSean. Yeah sure, he only had 1080 yards, with an average of 5.2 YPA. He also had 600 yards receiving, for nearly 1700 all-purpose yards. Then last year he has 1,600 all-purpose yards, along with 20 TDs. He actually had more yards in 2010 than he did in 2011. So before you spout off about someone having "only" so many yards, might wanna make sure it's actually true. :grinno:

No one twisted your words dude...I know what your point was that saying CJ is elite for his season is like saying Cam is elite for what he did last year. My point is that is DUMB comparison that no one would make but you.

Re-check my stats? I hope you are just saying again what I already said...1080...barley over 1000 yards RUSHING and what was his rushing TDs? I believe it was 7. The fact that you keep combining his receiving yards and trying to throw out all-purpose yardage does not take away from the fact that his rushing hasn't been anything special til just now. So maybe you should read more carefully before you get my words twisted

mmm barley and rushing yardage soup sounds good.

eh... Chris Johnson went the wrong way from one year to the next, Mccoy went the right way. If you are looking at only the past two seasons, Mccoy's seasons are better with more rushing and receiving yards as well as td's, yards per carry, yards per reception, and played in less games. He's younger and has more talent around him (projected), so ranking him higher for the next season is not a stretch, imo.

Its a matter of opinion and none of us know the future. I will say Johnson has had the better career to this point and has a strong chance of returning to form for at least a couple more seasons but its a show me type of league and while production doesn't necessarily equal talent, it sure is one of the best ways to evaluate it.

mmm barley and rushing yardage soup sounds good.eh... Chris Johnson went the wrong way from one year to the next, Mccoy went the right way. If you are looking at only the past two seasons, Mccoy's seasons are better with more rushing and receiving yards as well as td's, yards per carry, yards per reception, and played in less games. He's younger and has more talent around him (projected), so ranking him higher for the next season is not a stretch, imo. Its a matter of opinion and none of us know the future. I will say Johnson has had the better career to this point and has a strong chance of returning to form for at least a couple more seasons but its a show me type of league and while production doesn't necessarily equal talent, it sure is one of the best ways to evaluate it.

I'm not here to debate who is the better running back between them. The only point I have been defending is that if people sit here and say Chris Johnson can't be considered elite because of his one amazing season then McCoy can't be classified as elite because of his one break out season

• Upvote 1