Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Ohio attic yields millions of dollars in baseball cards

Matthew Pouliot | Jul 10, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT

20 members of a family in Ohio are thrilled Aunt Jean was a packrat. Among the many boxes uncovered in an attic in an old Defiance home was 700 century-old baseball cards worth about $3 million, at least in the opinion of one expert.

The manufacturer and the exact date of the cards is unclear, but the cards are members of the E98 series from around 1910, according to PSA. The authenticators had dealt with fewer than 700 E98s previously in all of their years of grading cards. Now one find has yielded more more than that total, including a PSA 10 Honus Wagner and 16 PSA 9 Ty Cobb’s.

“Every future find will ultimately be compared to this,” said Joe Orlando, president of Professional Sports Authenticator.

Karl Kissner has control of the cards now. He believes they belonged to his grandfather, Carl Hench, who ran a meat market in Defiance and could have gotten them as promotional items. The plan is for the cards to go to auction, with 20 cousins in the Hench family splitting the proceeds.

Source: HardballTalk

:drool:

*edit - No drool face?

:bricks::makinitrain:

Edited by NaTaS

The problem for them is no one is really collecting cards anymore, I don't see them getting anywhere near 3 million for them.

The problem for them is no one is really collecting cards anymore, I don't see them getting anywhere near 3 million for them.

9419317.jpg

• Upvote 1

I actually think this one of a kind find will surely fetch a nice sum, especially given some of the players in it and the actual condition of the cards.

There's still plenty of collectors out there.

It's just a lot different nowadays. 20 years ago, it was mainly just for kids looking to collect basic cards of their favorite players. Now it's all about trying to score the patch autos that you can make some nice coin on. It's essentially (card collecting) more geared towards adults now.

This is what cards have evolved into lol...

scan0003.jpg

6282241701_cc89c6088d.jpg

• Upvote 1