Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Nick Saban pissed off at media

Video: http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/5/3295374/nick-saban-practice-rant

"Ya know, there's a tremendous balance between humility and confidence.

This game is a struggle. It's a struggle every day. You gotta embrace it every day. You gotta go out and earn it every day, to be as good as you can be. You gotta have a tremendous amount of character, confidence, mental and physical toughness, you gotta be driven to be the best, and you gotta be able to handle success.

I hate to be negative with anybody, but when you people start writing stuff about people that we're playing that doesn't give them the proper respect, that's not fair. It's not fair to their players, who work hard and earn it, it's not fair to our players who need to respect them, and to make presumptions like you all make, really upsets me. It's so unfair. You don't need to write about that. There's so many good things that you can write about happening around here that people would be interested in. I'd love to see some of you do a little bit of research and figure it out. It would really do my heart good.

I just had to get that off my chest, because all those things are important, man. What makes the really good teams good, what makes the really good teams good, they have those intangible things that make 'em good. It's work every day around here to try and keep our guys on track to have a little bit of humility and confidence. We win one game and I can't believe what gets written. We did play two teams at neutral-site games and played horrible in the next week because a lot of the same kind of stuff happened. I'm just giving you my opinion. I respect what y'all do. I understand you're not here to promote our program or anything like that. But I would appreciate that if you'd just get everybody involved in the game. We play the games for a reason. To make all these predictions of what's gonna happen takes away from the game. I think.

Everybody talks about who's gonna win the national championship. Why do we play the games? We got a lotta great games coming up. Why do we play them?

Does anybody wanna ask me a question? I'm trying to be nice about it."

Saban is one of the greatest ever. Despite him being a Bammer, it's hard not to respect him.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I agree, yet at the same time.. he doesn't want to bring attention that he's playing a cupcake.

When a coach/GM lashes out at the media, I always look at this quote from Mark Cuban

“What I have learned in 11 years in the sports business is that the dumbest guys in the room are always the media guys. Some do a decent job of reporting, most just spew opinions. And those opinions change more often than they brush their teeth. So what the media was saying was of zero impact or influence on what i was going to do. Listening to the media only increases your odds of failing at whatever you are doing. So I ignore them.”
Edited by Mathias
  • Upvote 1

I despise the media and its unfortunate how society today is full of uneducated people who draw every single assumption from the headlines. Nobody goes out of their way to actually know anymore; it's all about what the media is telling them and the media is too much about an agenda driven by profit and controversy...and less honesty.

I hate the Tide with every fiber of my being but I've always had a great respect for the way Saban goes about his business, a respect that began during his time with LSU. He's absolutely right but tbh, Saban calling out the media for being ignorant is pretty much a waste of time.