Sign in to follow this  
Phins4life

2 Recent Drafts

I had back to back drafts today, both NFL Public leagues. Just looking for some general thoughts on the good, the bad and the ugly. They were snake drafts, and on the first one I got lucky with a middle spot. Second draft sucked not only because I picked second, but because only 3 people were actually drafting. The auto-pick was extremely heavy on the RB's and WR's in the first few rounds. Starter format as follows:

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

TE

W/R

D/ST

K

First Draft (round and pick included)

1-5 Drew Brees (QB)

2-16 Matt Forte (RB)

3-25 Jamaal Charles (RB)

4-36 Victor Cruz (WR)

5-45 Mike Wallace (WR)

6-56 Peyton Manning (QB)

7-65 Vincent Jackson (WR)

8-76 Dustin Keller (TE)

9-85 NE Patriots (D/ST)

10-96 Isaac Redman (RB)

11-105 Justin Blackman (WR)

12-116 Jared Cook (TE)

13-125 Malcom Floyd (WR)

14-136 Andy Dalton (QB)

15-145 Robbie Gould (K)

Second Draft (round and pick included)

1-2 Aaron Rodgers (QB)

2-19 DeMarco Murray (RB)

3-22 Victor Cruz (WR)

4-39-Demaryius Thomas (WR)

5-42 Darren Sproles (RB)

6-59 Jared Cook (TE)

7-62 Justin Blackman (WR)

8-79 NE Patriots (D/ST)

9-82 Robert Griffin III (QB)

10-99 Andrew Luck (QB)

11-102 Brandon Pettigrew (TE)

12-119 Malcom Floyd (WR)

13-122 Roy Helu (RB)

14-139 Davone Bess (WR)

15-142 Rob Bironas (K)

You'll notice quite a few times I ended up with the same players. Didn't mean for that to happen. It was a combo of not having the deepest knowledge of this year's offenses and the auto-pick destroying my strategy. Prime example, I swore up and down I was in good position to get a more solid D in round 8, and then the auto-picks took SF, CHI, DET, and GB back to back, and then NYJ disappeared a few picks later. All in all, I think my first draft was more well-rounded, while my second one offers more sleeper potential. Plus I managed to nab Pettigrew 11 rounds in. Still not sure how that happened.

Both teams are very good and there are some surprising things for me on both teams..

I'm surprised you took Peyton with Brees already set as a starter..Were you so desperate to take Jared Cook with your sixth and Blackmon with your seventh pick?

You got huge steal in Malcom Floyd..12th and 13th round is surprising for me..

Both teams are very good and there are some surprising things for me on both teams..

I'm surprised you took Peyton with Brees already set as a starter..Were you so desperate to take Jared Cook with your sixth and Blackmon with your seventh pick?

You got huge steal in Malcom Floyd..12th and 13th round is surprising for me..

As far as taking Manning goes, I have a habit of trying to guarantee I have solid backups for the by, even if it is only for one week. I also do it as a just in case for injuries, poor play, etc. At the very worst, I may have some trade value. Same idea was used getting Luck and RG3. If someone wants to take a gamble on them, I may be able to get a solid return out of it. Idk.

The Reach for Blackmon and Cook in the second draft was a direct result of how fast WR and TE depth diminished. The auto pick seemed more focused on BPA rather than balance. Not sure. All I know is by round 7 there was slim pickings, and I wanted to grab JB just in case he lights it up. Looking back, I'm not sure how I missed Pettigrew still being on the board when I nabbed Cook. So I think I lucked out a little when he was still up by round 11.