Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Rookie QB Power Rankings

Since there are so many rookie QB's starting this year and a lot of them are having early success, I think it would be cool to rank them throughout the season.

My rankings right now:

1. RG3

2. Andrew Luck

3. Ryan Tannehill

4. Russell Wilson

5. Brandon Weeden

If the Skins somehow manage to possibly win their division, RGIII might have a case for MVP if he can keep playing well.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

My rankings:

1. RG3

2. Luck

3. Weeden

4. Tanny

5. Wilson

I really like what I see from Weeden. If it wasn't for a few dropped passes and crucial mistakes by the Browns, he would have the team sitting at or above 500.

My rankings:

1. RG3

2. Luck

3. Weeden

4. Tanny

5. Wilson

I really like what I see from Weeden. If it wasn't for a few dropped passes and crucial mistakes by the Browns, he would have the team sitting at or above 500.

Critical mistakes by the browns? You mean the 10 interceptions he's thrown? I'll give you the dropped passes but he throws interceptions in the most inopportune times and most of them are "WTF why did you throw that pass" like the one in the redzone against the giants. He can get better and just might if the browns ever get some receivers that are worth anything and can catch.

1. RG3

2. Ryan Tanehill

3. Russell Wilson

4. Andrew Luck

5. Brandon Weeden

I know I've been critical of Weeden in the past, but if you take out his first game in the NFL, he has performed pretty well for a rookie, actually.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

1) Andrew Luck

2) RGIII

3) Ryan Tannehill

4) Brandon Weeden

5) Russell Wilson

Career wise I think it'll end up:

1) Luck

2) Tannehill

3) Wilson

4) RGIII

5) Weeden (a lot doing with his age.)

Critical mistakes by the browns? You mean the 10 interceptions he's thrown? I'll give you the dropped passes but he throws interceptions in the most inopportune times and most of them are "WTF why did you throw that pass" like the one in the redzone against the giants. He can get better and just might if the browns ever get some receivers that are worth anything and can catch.

I understand the 10 picks don't make a good case for him but how many of those were really, "why did you throw that?" and how many were the receiver not being in the right place or tipped balls? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's perfect and doesn't make some terrible decisions but I think he is more poised and talented than his team's record and those 10 INTs tell us.

1) Andrew Luck

2) RGIII

3) Ryan Tannehill

4) Brandon Weeden

5) Russell Wilson

Career wise I think it'll end up:

1) Luck

2) Tannehill

3) Wilson

4) RGIII

5) Weeden (a lot doing with his age.)

If that first one is current, I really don't know how you can have Luck at #1. He's had some games where he's been extremely inacurrate...

1. RG3

2. Luck

3. Tannehill

4. Wilson

5. Weeden

Going by pure stats, it's something like:

1. RG3

2. Russel Wilson

3. Ryan Tannehill

4. Andrew Luck

5. Brandon Weeden

but I think actual ability wise, you bump Luck up to second, and Wilson and Tannehill go down a spot.

1. RG3

2. Luck

3. Tannehill

4. Wilson

5. Weeden

This would be how I would rank them. I've been defending Weeden alot recently, but I understand that his stats are ugly (weighed down by the opener, but still ugly), it's just that he has improved. He still makes dumb throws, but he's getting better.

• Upvote 1

I understand the 10 picks don't make a good case for him but how many of those were really, "why did you throw that?" and how many were the receiver not being in the right place or tipped balls? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's perfect and doesn't make some terrible decisions but I think he is more poised and talented than his team's record and those 10 INTs tell us.

Oh I know it's just I dont see him ahead of any of the rookies thus far, granted I haven't really been following the play of Wilson or Tannehill at all. If Greg Little was dropping every pass thrown to him Weeden would look better. Which is why I agreed the dropped passes hurt. He's still a rookie too so, Idk time will tell. Browns need people who can catch.

Oh I know it's just I dont see him ahead of any of the rookies thus far, granted I haven't really been following the play of Wilson or Tannehill at all. If Greg Little was dropping every pass thrown to him Weeden would look better. Which is why I agreed the dropped passes hurt. He's still a rookie too so, Idk time will tell. Browns need people who can catch.

Greg Little is a second year player and far from Weeden's favorite target.

Greg Little is a second year player and far from Weeden's favorite target.

That was typo I meant "wasnt dropping" he's been targeted 32 times though and only caught 14 passes. 32 Targets is a team high for them.

Edited by SteelersNation36
  • Upvote 1

If that first one is current, I really don't know how you can have Luck at #1. He's had some games where he's been extremely inacurrate...

Yeah, I'm judging with the quality of team they're playing with too. It's not just based on stats, individual performance also weighted with how much help they get from their team is also considered. Not just offense too, I'm looking at how much their defenses help them out via short fields, etc. Just my opinion. Wilson has the most help of all the rookies, I'd put RGIII next, then it's really close between Weeden, Tannehill, and Luck. Tannehill has Miami's D, Bush is solid if inconsistent. Weeden has T-Rich, but not much else, Luck has Wayne, not much else considering Mathis and Freeney been hurt all year.

RGIII is the best statistically though, there's no denying that. I only see 9 passes that have traveled more than 20 yards though. A lot of first read throws. Which, for a rookie is normal. But I'm not all the way on the hype train like most folks with RGIII. Great kid though, good for the NFL.

EDIT: from an Insider article on ESPN, here's what I was talking about with RGIII/Luck and the difficulty of their throws:

"From the Insider article: "there currently is a large difference between how these two throw the ball. For Griffin, 52 percent of his passes go for 3 yards or less in the air, while only 36 percent of Luck's are that short (league average is 42 percent)."

"Only 26 percent of Griffin's passes are 10 yards or longer in the air while 40 percent of Luck's are that long (league average is 30 percent)""

Again though, sometimes dink and dunking is the right move. Tom Brady has done this at times in his career and been successful. Chad Pennington stayed in the NFL, and made it to the NFL period doing this, but his was because of a weak arm obviously, RGIII has a cannon. That's the reason I rank Luck ahead of RGIII, he's impressed me the most because of how he's making these difficult throws, and making these big plays through the air, with one of the worst offensive lines in the league (its nearly impossible to attack downfield with a bad O-Line but somehow Luck is doing it.) RGIII is getting a lot of help after the catch, which is fine, but not as impressive to me. His O-Line isn't that great either, but he's not attacking down the field like Luck is. This is why I ranked the two the way I did.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Yeah, I'm judging with the quality of team they're playing with too. It's not just based on stats, individual performance also weighted with how much help they get from their team is also considered. Not just offense too, I'm looking at how much their defenses help them out via short fields, etc. Just my opinion. Wilson has the most help of all the rookies, I'd put RGIII next, then it's really close between Weeden, Tannehill, and Luck. Tannehill has Miami's D, Bush is solid if inconsistent. Weeden has T-Rich, but not much else, Luck has Wayne, not much else considering Mathis and Freeney been hurt all year.

RGIII is the best statistically though, there's no denying that. I only see 9 passes that have traveled more than 20 yards though. A lot of first read throws. Which, for a rookie is normal. But I'm not all the way on the hype train like most folks with RGIII. Great kid though, good for the NFL.

EDIT: from an Insider article on ESPN, here's what I was talking about with RGIII/Luck and the difficulty of their throws:

Again though, sometimes dink and dunking is the right move. Tom Brady has done this at times in his career and been successful. Chad Pennington stayed in the NFL, and made it to the NFL period doing this, but his was because of a weak arm obviously, RGIII has a cannon. That's the reason I rank Luck ahead of RGIII, he's impressed me the most because of how he's making these difficult throws, and making these big plays through the air, with one of the worst offensive lines in the league (its nearly impossible to attack downfield with a bad O-Line but somehow Luck is doing it.) RGIII is getting a lot of help after the catch, which is fine, but not as impressive to me. His O-Line isn't that great either, but he's not attacking down the field like Luck is. This is why I ranked the two the way I did.

Are you also accounting for the 376 yards on the ground, 6.9 YPC, and the 6 rushing TDs?

Does it matter?

Yes, to me it does. The thread was asking us our personal Rookie QB Power Rankings. I gave mine, and my reasons. I don't value a QB's rushing stats or rushing TDs, because in the NFL running QBs don't get it done—ever. They also almost always get hurt. RGIII already has one concussion and we're not even half way through his rookie season. If he evolves as a passer, and starts making more impressive throws down the field (he's got the skills and mental to do so), he'll obviously challenge Luck in my power rankings. Mine are based purely on eye test, which is always subjective. It sounds like you disagree with me ranking RGIII lower than Luck, which is fine. But that's what the thread asked, my personal power rankings, and that's what they are.

:shrug:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

To discount running TDs and stats is a thing of the past.

Tell me this.

If a QB takes his team down the field and throws a TD, he gets a boost in QBR. If he takes his team down the field and runs for the TD, that is somehow worse?

• Upvote 1

And on this matter of Luck attacking down the field more then RGIII... Why take shots down the field when there's nothing there?

Who's to say that Luck taking so many shots down the field more then RGIII is a testement of Luck trying to force things down he field when it isn't there? Which shows bad decision making on his part.

To discount running TDs and stats is a thing of the past.

Tell me this.

If a QB takes his team down the field and throws a TD, he gets a boost in QBR. If he takes his team down the field and runs for the TD, that is somehow worse?

No, but if a QB is constantly running, it almost always ends bad, be it injuries, or leaving plays out on the field that could of been bigger plays had he passed out of his run. Ask Steve Young. He didn't win a ring until he stopped trying to play hero ball. Until a running QB wins a ring, I'll continue to hold the QB who runs a lot lower than the QB who makes plays from the pocket first, and scrambles second. I'm not saying that's all RGIII is going to be, he's shown great deep ball accuracy. He's not Mike Vick. Much more of a natural passer than Vick. He just hasn't thrown as deep without Garcon playing. We'll see what happens when Pierre is back. Also, when they get him more weapons in the coming years.

And on this matter of Luck attacking down the field more then RGIII... Why take shots down the field when there's nothing there?

Who's to say that Luck taking so many shots down the field more then RGIII is a testement of Luck trying to force things down he field when it isn't there? Which shows bad decision making on his part.

Fair point. But again, those are my rankings. Period. Seems like you guys are trying to convince me to change them or something? I've just been more impressed by Luck given what he has to work with, and how bad his team is. Not to mention he has no running game to lean on at all. I expected RGIII to do about what he's doing now. I still have him ranked 2nd. It's not like I have him ranked 4th or 5th or something. I've just been more impressed with what Luck has been able to do. That's my opinion.

No, but if a QB is constantly running, it almost always ends bad, be it injuries, or leaving plays out on the field that could of been bigger plays had he passed out of his run. Ask Steve Young. He didn't win a ring until he stopped trying to play hero ball. Until a running QB wins a ring, I'll continue to hold the QB who runs a lot lower than the QB who makes plays from the pocket first, and scrambles second. I'm not saying that's all RGIII is going to be, he's shown great deep ball accuracy. He's not Mike Vick. Much more of a natural passer than Vick. He just hasn't thrown as deep without Garcon playing. We'll see what happens when Pierre is back. Also, when they get him more weapons in the coming years.

Fair point. But again, those are my rankings. Period. Seems like you guys are trying to convince me to change them or something? I've just been more impressed by Luck given what he has to work with, and how bad his team is. Not to mention he has no running game to lean on at all. I expected RGIII to do about what he's doing now. I still have him ranked 2nd. It's not like I have him ranked 4th or 5th or something. I've just been more impressed with what Luck has been able to do. That's my opinion.

They're discussing, it's a forum that's what's done here. I don't think they're trying to change your mind. What do you mean by the bolded part? Luck has Reggie Wayne to throw the ball to, RG3's leading receiver right now is a TE. Washington is much better at running the ball but it's not like Luck has no one to throw to.

They're discussing, it's a forum that's what's done here. I don't think they're trying to change your mind. What do you mean by the bolded part? Luck has Reggie Wayne to throw the ball to, RG3's leading receiver right now is a TE. Washington is much better at running the ball but it's not like Luck has no one to throw to.

Never said Luck didn't have anyone to throw to, but he does have less to work with than RGIII. Alfred Morris, 5th in the league in rushing yards. Luck has... Donald Brown? Vick Ballard? Those two are atrocious. Washington isn't just much better at running the ball, they're one of the best running teams in the league. Indy is one of the worst. Running backs are a rookies best friend. One has a good, yet aging, WR. The other has a good young RB. That evens it out IMO. Once Garcon comes back, RGIII has more weapons again. I also say Indy's Offensive Line is worse than Washington's.

QBR wise, RGIII is 0.8 points better than Luck, the two are 6th/7th in the league. Very impressive for rookies: http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Washington's receiving options are at least decent. Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Pierre Garcon (when healthy), Fred Davis, Josh Morgan... RG3 benefits by having a bunch of guys who can do what they need to do over one extremely talented player, and a bunch of young inexperienced guys.