Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

David Stern to RETIRE

In 2014 :troll:

David Stern retires: Outgoing commissioner says NBA is in 'terrific condition'

By Mike Prada on Oct 25, 2:18p

It's now official: David Stern will be stepping down as NBA commissioner on February 1, 2014. Glen Taylor, the outgoing chairman of the NBA Board of Governors, officially made the announcement to media members in a press conference.

"Commissioner Stern has informed the board that he is stepping down as commissioner. The date selected was Feb. 1, 2014," Taylor announced.

When asked why then, Stern simply said it was "an interesting time." But as it turns out, he was hired exactly 30 years prior to that date, so it's not a coincidence. Stern will continue as the commissioner until that day, at which point, current deputy commissioner Adam Silver will take over. A vote to make Silver the commissioner-elect of the league will take place this April.

"I told [the owners] that it's been a great run," Stern said. ... "The league is in, I think, terrific condition."

Stern will still be available to help out as a "partner" with several long-range projects, including the league's efforts to expand the game internationally, Taylor said. When asked what projects, Stern simply said that he'll be "on call" in "whatever way I can."

Stern will depart as the longest-tenured commissioner in professional sports. He said he conceived of this plan six months ago, and when asked why he didn't step down sooner, he said he wanted to shepherd the league through the previous lockout before leaving.

"I don't think there's a doubt that [stern will] be remembered as the best of all time," Silver said.

I find it laughable to say the least that he says the NBA is in terrific condition. Stern has allowed for 2 dominant empires in the Lakers and Miami, leaving everyone else high and dry. Still hate him for not allowing CP3 to go to the Lakers last year. Just wanted to see his beloved Heat have a little of an easier road to the title.

I'll be glad to see him go, but Silver may end up being worse.

As for the CP3 thing, Stern made the right move acting as owner of the Hornets. He got them a better rebuilding package and it is starting to pay off for that team. People have to remember that he was acting as owner of the Hornets and not commissioner of the NBA.