housemd

NBA 2012 Regular Season Thread

Booo. I really want Thunder-Rockets.

Yeah I think it'd be a lot more interesting if the Spurs got the #1 seed but I don't see any way Oklahoma City doesn't come away with it at this point. If the Lakers get in I'd much rather have faced the Spurs then the Thunder.

Spurs/Rockets could still be fun though. Divisional/state rivals going at it.

Let's be honest...no one wants to see Thunder/Jazz. No one.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah I think it'd be a lot more interesting if the Spurs got the #1 seed but I don't see any way Oklahoma City doesn't come away with it at this point. If the Lakers get in I'd much rather have faced the Spurs then the Thunder.

Spurs/Rockets could still be fun though. Divisional/state rivals going at it.

Let's be honest...no one wants to see Thunder/Jazz. No one.

No one wants to see the Jazz period. Yawn.

What a range of emotions the past hour or so.

First of all that Lakers/Warriors game was sick. One of the best games of the season. Stephen Curry went off. It was a huge win for the Lakers to get with Kobe out the last three minutes. When Curry put up the long shot at the end I was like, "Holy shit he might make this." So close but thank goodness.

So the happiness and excitement of the win went to utter heartbreak when I found out about Kobe's probable torn Achilles. I knew it had to be bad to take him out of the game and he could barely walk but I was hoping for the best. This sucks. Not that I thought we would do anything if we made the playoffs but watching a warrior like Kobe actually go down and just seeing the sadness he had after the game.

One thing is for sure I'm looking forward to him coming back next year.

Back to this year, that game was huge for our playoff chances obviously. The win puts us one game up with two games left. Lakers even still have a shot at the #6 seed (which would require the Warriors to lose out and the Rockets to lose one of their next two).

Hopefully Steve Nash can at least come back for the Spurs game on Sunday.

Guest Phailadelphia

I've never been a Kobe fan but have always respected his game. It will be hard to believe it if an all-time great goes out on an Achilles tear. I bet he tries to come back at the end of next year or the year after but I have doubts he'll ever be anything near what we expect from him ever again.

I've never been a Kobe fan but have always respected his game. It will be hard to believe it if an all-time great goes out on an Achilles tear. I bet he tries to come back at the end of next year or the year after but I have doubts he'll ever be anything near what we expect from him ever again.

Did he not walk off the court? If so, that doesn't sound like a complete severing of it, so I'm thinking the recovery time will be less than we realize. It will still be a long road but I expect to see Kobe sometime next season.

Did he not walk off the court? If so, that doesn't sound like a complete severing of it, so I'm thinking the recovery time will be less than we realize. It will still be a long road but I expect to see Kobe sometime next season.

He did walk (and made two free throws after the incident) but said there was nothing there.

Either way Mamba is a warrior so he's definitely not going to go out with this. As for when he comes back? I'm going to say middle of January but that's being EXTREMELY hopeful.

Here's an interesting thought. If he's not going to be able to play next season the Lakers could amnesty him and wipe the 30 mil he makes off the cap. Of course they would need to make the decision in the first week of July.

Now what happens? Does Dwight re-sign for sure this offseason? His stock to the Lakers just went straight up. Does Kobe still retire after 2014 as he has planned? Do the Lakers bring him back in the 2014 offseason?

I'm going to boycott watching the first round if the Jazz beat out the Lakers for the 8 spot. Fuck a definite sweep. That idea could go straight to hell.

I would love to see Houston snag a 6 seed against a weakened Denver team, but Denver is such a matchup nightmare for the Rockets. I really, truly think Houston would have a better chance of knocking off San Antonio.

I'm going to boycott watching the first round if the Jazz beat out the Lakers for the 8 spot. Fuck a definite sweep. That idea could go straight to hell.

I would love to see Houston snag a 6 seed against a weakened Denver team, but Denver is such a matchup nightmare for the Rockets. I really, truly think Houston would have a better chance of knocking off San Antonio.

I don't see how the team that won the regular season series gets the nod in a tie is a bad thing..

Last night showed why I would rather the Lakers play the Spurs in the first round than the Thunder. Not that we would win but we would have a much better chance.

If Minnesota beats Utah tonight we're in. Go Wolves.

Also, still a chance at the six seed for the Lakers so go Spurs and Suns tonight.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

I hate the Rockets so much. Fucking pussies.

I never agree with Chris Palmer on anything. He is obsessed with crossovers and the lakers/thunder. But I do agree with him on one thing - Steph Curry is the best shooter I have seen in my life. Could've set the record tonight but he will just do it in the season finale.

Looks like the West race turned out to be more interesting than we all thought it would be. It's not about who just gets 8th place now... 6/7/8 are right up in the air coming down to the final night.

Well I wasn't expecting Minnesota to beat Utah tonight but it sure would've made me feel a little better to know the Lakers had a playoff spot for sure.

Well the top five seeds in the West are set, although Memphis and the Clippers are still fighting for home court in their first round match-up. That's good for the Lakers since it means Memphis will have a reason to play on Wednesday against Utah.

I'm really hoping the Lakers beat the Rockets now. A win by the Lakers puts them in 7th no matter what else happens. The Rockets would then drop to 8th and blots gets his Thunder/Rockets series that he wants.

I mean seriously....we might get Thunder/Rockets, Spurs/Lakers, Nuggets/Warriors, and Clippers/Grizzlies (well Clips/Grizz is definite). Western Conference Playoffs would be can't miss basketball.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

I have no idea if Houston could steal even two games from OKC, but of the possible 8 seeds remaining, I think they'd have the best shot at making it a series because of their size.

Steph Curry on pace to becoming the greatest 3-point shooter of all time. He's already been the best through his first couple of seasons.

tumblr_ml4i8pt23x1r0jlbgo1_500.jpg

Anyway, I'm rooting for Utah. I enjoy watching Hayward and Millsap go to work in the post. How exactly will watching the Lakers be any more entertaining? There's no Kobe.

Even if the Lakers series comes close to being entertaining whoever plays them is just gonna employ the hack-a-Shaq on Dwight. Gimme the Jazz.

Steph Curry on pace to becoming the greatest 3-point shooter of all time. He's already been the best through his first couple of seasons.

tumblr_ml4i8pt23x1r0jlbgo1_500.jpg

Anyway, I'm rooting for Utah. I enjoy watching Hayward and Millsap go to work in the post. How exactly will watching the Lakers be any more entertaining? There's no Kobe.

Even if the Lakers series comes close to being entertaining whoever plays them is just gonna employ the hack-a-Shaq on Dwight. Gimme the Jazz.

The Jazz are getting swept in the first round, no question and they are a boring team to watch.

Also if you get Lakers/Spurs you get the biggest Western Conference rivalry in the past decade. That's enough of a story. There's always an entertainment value to Lakers games. Teams/Fans WANT to beat the Lakers.

This team can still be entertaining without Kobe (way moreso than Utah).

Can they? How exactly? They have almost an equally bad defense with Utah getting the slight edge, and a large part of what makes their offense in the top half of the league is gone.

How exactly would the Lakers be more competitive at this point then Utah? Being led by Dwight Howard who's having probably his worst season since becoming a superstar?

I'll take the healthy Utah Jazz squad who usually always put up a fight on their homecourt...

Can they? How exactly? They have almost an equally bad defense with Utah getting the slight edge, and a large part of what makes their offense in the top half of the league is gone.

How exactly would the Lakers be more competitive at this point then Utah? Being led by Dwight Howard who's having probably his worst season since becoming a superstar?

I'll take the healthy Utah Jazz squad who usually always put up a fight on their homecourt...

Those same Jazz went out with less than a whimper last year against the Spurs.

Dwight Howard will do more offensively with Kobe gone. He went for 26 and 17 on Sunday against the Spurs. He put up a season-high in points when Kobe was out for a few games a month ago. It's no secret Dwight's numbers sky rocket up with Kobe gone.

And even though I do think they will be more competitive the word you used was "entertaining" and this team without Kobe is still more entertaining than Utah.

Spurs sign T-Mac. People will make more of a bigger deal than this is strictly due to his past reputation. Don't mind it, not really a make or break type of signing for the team. Pop is the best coach at getting the most out of players so hopefully he can find a nice role for him.

Those same Jazz went out with less than a whimper last year against the Spurs.

Dwight Howard will do more offensively with Kobe gone. He went for 26 and 17 on Sunday against the Spurs. He put up a season-high in points when Kobe was out for a few games a month ago. It's no secret Dwight's numbers sky rocket up with Kobe gone.

And even though I do think they will be more competitive the word you used was "entertaining" and this team without Kobe is still more entertaining than Utah.

That's not saying much. Howard isn't exactly an offensive anchor...

Guest Phailadelphia

KD will sit tonight, conceding the scoring title but officially giving him a 50-40-90 season. He averaged 28.1ppg, going 50/40/90 on his percentages, with a 64% TS%. And he probably won't win MVP, which his fair because Lebron probably had the better season. But this HAS to go down as one of the greatest non-MVP seasons by a player ever...and he's only 24.

Edit: Probably worth noting: KD scored more points than Melo on a lot fewer attempts and at a higher percentage. If they had played the same number of games, KD would also be the scoring champ which would have (SHOULD HAVE) been the first player to win the scoring title while averaging 50/40/90 percentages.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate for Durant that he has to be in the league at the same time as LeBron. He'll get there though. I think Durant was MVP up until the streak started and LeBron went on that tear.

• Upvote 1

Very unfortunate for Durant. Lebron is by far the MVP of the league but KD had a hell of a season that is worth acknowledging for sure.

Excited for the games tonight to see who the Spurs will be playing first round! Don't really have a preference. Harden will live at the line no matter who he plays, Curry will sink 3 pointers with his eyes closed no matter what, and I wouldn't mind another epic Spurs/Lakers battle.

• Upvote 1