Bay

Signature Stat Snapshot: Time To Throw

This is the average amount of time each QB has been getting in the pocket.

pockettime.jpg

This is how quick QB's are getting sacked

sacke.jpg

See the rest -

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

• Upvote 2

it's an interesting stat, but I do think I need to point out that it looks like there are a lot of mobile QBs at the top so I'd be interested to see how they define "time in the pocket"

it's an interesting stat, but I do think I need to point out that it looks like there are a lot of mobile QBs at the top so I'd be interested to see how they define "time in the pocket"

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Do they count the QB extending play using his feet as "time in the pocket."

it's funny what you can find out by actually click on the links people give you :p on the source website that first stat is listed as "time to throw" and is defined as follows:

Now to explain what ‘time to throw’ is, we record the time from when the ball is snapped to the point where the quarterback has either thrown a pass or can no longer throw a pass (has been sacked or scrambled past the line of scrimmage).

so really, this seems to me to be a measure of their decision making and how quickly WRs are getting open, I think it's worth noting that the bottom five (in order) are Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, and Peyton Manning, Ryan Tannehill, and Ryan Fitzpatrick, also note that the Broncos, Bills and Patriots are all among the top six in fewest sacks allowed (and the Dolphins and Titans are 13th and 14th respectively) and you can see this stat is more indicative of QB play than oline play (maybe it was just me, but I thought these sounded more like oline stats initially)

so really, this seems to me to be a measure of their decision making and how quickly WRs are getting open, I think it's worth noting that the bottom five (in order) are Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, and Peyton Manning, Ryan Tannehill, and Ryan Fitzpatrick, also note that the Broncos, Bills and Patriots are all among the top six in fewest sacks allowed (and the Dolphins and Titans are 13th and 14th respectively) and you can see this stat is more indicative of QB play than oline play (maybe it was just me, but I thought these sounded more like oline stats initially)

Wouldn't this also give scrambling QBs a higher time? They may not have gone past the line of scrimmage, but they extended the play with their feet.

So for example, RG3's O-line might be bad and he just has a higher time because he can extend plays.

Edited by Thanatos19

Wouldn't this also give scrambling QBs a higher time? They may not have gone past the line of scrimmage, but they extended the play with their feet.

So for example, RG3's O-line might be bad and he just has a higher time because he can extend plays.

yes, extending a play would inflate the number, I meant to mention that as a factor, but the length of time the play is extended by a scrambling QB is a fairly direct effect of hwo quickly the WRs get open and how quickly the QB makes his decisions, it's an interesting stat to look at but I'm not sure how much it really tells you because of the number of variables that factor into it

Edited by oochymp

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Do they count the QB extending play using his feet as "time in the pocket."

They have to be because of the disproportionate number of scrambling QBs at the top. I for one know that Seattle's OL has been fairly bad in pass pro this year... Russ extends the play with his feet a lot. And Vick's OL has been ravaged, so scrambling out of the pocket has to factor in.