Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

How Chip Kelly Can Spark 'Moneyball' Revolution In NFL

Can he beat an SEC team without his offense getting SkullFucked first?

It's cute running up the score on the lowly Pac 12, but Auburn and LSU put a stop to his gimmick pretty fast.

Get that shit out of my face. lol

• Upvote 2

Eh, I think you guys are missing the point of the article. You're pointing to college results to dismiss the premise, when the entire premise is about the NFL, not college. The entire article is based on NFL teams not going for it on 4th down, and using that extra down afforded to you. How statistically it's not that bad if you fail to convert, and if you do convert, your chances rise exponentially. There's a reason Belicheck seeked out Chip Kelly for inspiration.

The guy has a fresh spin on the game. Call his offense gimmicky, in which you're probably right. But I personally think he'd make a great NFL Head Coach. Offensive Coordinator? I'd say that's iffy. But Head Coach? Absolutely. That's what this entire article is about — decision making, management, and being a smart Head Coach. The article brings up great points about the scared conservatism rampant in the NFL, as well as it's copycat nature (although that's been regurgitated ad nauseum.) Although I had a problem with the article having a blatant grammatical error in the same sentence in which they call someone a moron. Not a good look, but I'll let it slide because the premise is interesting for sure.

I found it funny that he didn't even recommend Chip Kelly for the Jags, after bringing up what the Jags should do (another beef I had — recommending trading for Tebow just to sell tickets.) Jags are reportedly getting Oregon inspired Nike uniforms next year, should the Ducks win the title (I doubt it, but if they do), he'd likely be a candidate for the Jags job after they hire their new GM once Gene Smith is fired (a certainty after Shad Khan's recent comments regarding results.)

I read this while I was at work last night and found it really interesting. I believe it was 2 years ago or so when Belicheck came out and said that it would make more sense for teams to go for it on 4th down and go for 2 point conversions more often than they punt and kick the football. However, we never saw that develop into anything. What Chip Kelly has been doing is absolutely genius.

I think the thing that has scared Belicheck away from doing it (Although he does still do it the most out of anyone) is the fact that the defenses in the NFL are simply smarter and faster than those of the NCAA and perhaps the computer doesn't calculate those types of things. I think that's the one thing that would have people worried. When it's 4th and 3 or 4th and 4, you have to think about who's on the other side of the ball trying to stop the plays. Defenses and Offenses are at a very close gap right now imo in terms of speed and smarts. I just think it would be tough to hold a percentage of over 50% on 4th down tries in todays NFL. However, I DO want to see teams go for two more often.

I think regardless of how aggressive he is, he'd have to dial back if he was to ever join the NFL. Playing the game of odds is always fun, but there's a time and place for it. Numbers and stats are always misleading and wrong if taken out of context, and it always fails when you least want it to.

I think Kelly would be an exceptional coach in the NFL tbh. The switch and adaptability from college to NFL is always kinda random so I could be totally wrong, but I think he'd be a pretty good coach. If we didn't already have Shwartz who I'm not the biggest fan of, but he's getting the job done (for the most part), I'd be down for him.