Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Chiefs (Andy Reid) QB search

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be the best fit for an Andy Reid Chiefs team?

• Matt Cassell
    • Matt Flynn
    • Alex Smith
    • Michael Vick
    • Use 1st overall pick on a QB

But wouldn't that strategy potentially put you into a trap? Let's say the Chiefs take a guy in round two/three this year; he sits on the bench for all of 2013. Now the 2014 draft rolls around, the Chiefs have a top 5 pick, and there's a QB who they really like, who they feel is a franchise signal caller.

Do you abandon your project quarterback and essentially make your year's worth of grooming a waste? If so, will you get an equal value draft pick for him? Not likely.

Do you pass on the top 5 quarterback in favor of a 2nd/3rd round project who may or may not work out?

And even if you could get that draft pick back (essentially), wouldn't you be better served spending this year's pick on a player at another position who could contribute sooner?

No way do you take a guy int he 2nd or 3rd round this year and then in say the Top 5 next year. If you really believe you have your future QB, there is no point in taking another one that high in the next years draft.

The only feasible way is if that guy you take this year just looks absolutely dreadful and you want to own up to making a huge mistake, and that Top 5 guy is the next Joe Montana or whatever.

Although it brings up an interesting point.. What if the Chiefs really do like somebody who will be coming out next year already?Do they just not take a QB and kind of... tank in 2013 to make sure they get their guy?

Who knows.

Whether a Quarterback is drafted in the first round or the seventh round doesn't make them better. You understand that, right? They are drafted based on how good they are. Right now, I don't see a single QB in this years draft class that is capable of starting right away. It's a terrible draft class.

The Chiefs are more than likely going to either get their largest need, or they will trade it for a whole bunch of picks. I really do think that Andy Reid is going to go after Alex Smith this off season. If not, he'll probably stick with Cassel. Cassel isn't good, but he isn't so bad that he's not serviceable in the right system. Andy Reid has done wonders with bad QBs in the past.

You make baby Jesus cry.

Seriously... Where do I begin?

After the 2011 NCCG, I got lol'd out of the shoutbox for saying that Cam would be a first round pick—not even the #1 overall pick, but a first round pick. The hype train hasn't even left the station, let alone got going full speed yet. By draft day, there will be like 2-4 "franchise QBs in this draft class.

Also, as far as the Chiefs forgoing their QB hunt to draft their biggest need, I'll do the math for you really quickly: QB IS THEIR BIGGEST NEED. They're not stacked at WR, and they could use another CB. Neither of those "needs" are deal breakers though. The Chiefs NEED a QB.

Alex Smith? Really? Why in the world would anyone want to throw money at that guy? Until last season, it was a mystery as to just how he'd been holding onto his job. Now, suddenly he's a hot commodity after getting benched for a second year player who was untested in the midst of a playoff run. That makes zero sense to me. A lot of people seem to think it's a good idea, so you're not alone there, but I will never understand it. For Reid, he runs a pass-heavy system. Smith isn't capable of winning in a system that has him throwing 30 plus passes per game, and that's what Andy runs.

Finally, Cassel is, in fact, so bad that he can't be serviceable in a system that relies on him to make throws. He's terrible and every other synonym for terrible. Quinn is worse, and Stanzi is so bad that they barely even let him play in the preseason. A real QB must be brought into KC, and I'm sure Reid knows this. If he doesn't, God help all Chiefs fans, because it's going to be a long, long five years.

(though the argument could be made that taking him was a waste anyway, but that's beside the point)

That's more or less the point I was getting at. If your franchise needs a quarterback, don't keep nibbling for one in the second/third round. Just wait until you find a top prospect your coaches and scouts feel very confident about, and go get him.

That's more or less the point I was getting at. If your franchise needs a quarterback, don't keep nibbling for one in the second/third round. Just wait until you find a top prospect your coaches and scouts feel very confident about, and go get him.

fair enough, so the question is: is there a QB in this class that the Chiefs feel very confident about? obviously none of us can answer that, but IMO if the answer to that is no then you can't force a QB into the top pick just because you need a QB or you're stuck with him, just because you need a QB doesn't mean you have to take one with the first pick if there isn't one in the draft who's worth it

fair enough, so the question is: is there a QB in this class that the Chiefs feel very confident about? obviously none of us can answer that, but IMO if the answer to that is no then you can't force a QB into the top pick just because you need a QB or you're stuck with him, just because you need a QB doesn't mean you have to take one with the first pick if there isn't one in the draft who's worth it

Totally agree. Forcing a QB into the #1 slot is a one-way ticket to bust city.

where did I say wait until next year to draft a new QB? I said the Chiefs should take a QB in the second or third round because nobody in this draft is worth taking #1 then let him sit behind Cassel for a year and learn the system and how to play in the League, then give him the opportunity to win the starting job next year

at this point I haven't seen anyone claim any of the QBs in this class are obvious true franchise QBs (Luck/RG3/Newton types) but then again I don't pay a whole lot of attention to college football so I may be missing somebody who'll shine during the predraft stuff, which obviously would change things, but at this point I'll be really surprised if none of the top QBs aren't there at the top of the second

I apologize about that, I misread your post and thought you said year, not round. Don't ask how. >_>

But yea, I still think that the Chiefs need to take a QB with their first pick. Picking "some other player" and taking a QB in the later rounds is a recipe for failure IMO (without a lot of Luck at least). Miami tried this with Jake Long and Chad Henne.

Totally agree. Forcing a QB into the #1 slot is a one-way ticket to bust city.

so why shouldn't a team that needs a QB take one in a later round who they think they might be able to develop if there isn't a QB in the draft who's they think is worth the #1 spot?

But yea, I still think that the Chiefs need to take a QB with their first pick. Picking "some other player" and taking a QB in the later rounds is a recipe for failure IMO (without a lot of Luck at least). Miami tried this with Jake Long and Chad Henne.

good point, but I have a little more faith in Andy Reid to develop a QB than Tony Sparano