Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

THQ's Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Auction

News is about a week old now, but still good to know where and what everything went.

$26 million for Relic Entertainment (Sega)

$22.3 million for Volition Inc. (Koch Media)

$5.8 million for Metro I.P. (Koch Media)

$2.5 million for THQ Montreal (Ubisoft)

$3.2M for THQ Montreal’s Southpark game (Ubisoft)

$11 million for Evolve I.P. (Take-Two)

$500k for Homefront I.P. (Crytek)

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/23/sega-buy-thq-subsidiary-with-aggressive-bid-no-bids-for-darksiders-devs/#waAlCDzqQJY8dQ8V.99

Vigil Games (Darksiders Franchise) didn't get a single bid. Instead Crytek has opened a new studio in Texas, Crytek USA, and hired one of the Vigil co-founders and his core team of 35 people.

Kinda surprised Relic went for so much, although I guess they more specialize in games for PC which I don't deal with much.

Crytek getting Homefront is a good thing. It'll be nice to see what they can do with. I'm looking forward to Metro: Last Light, but I don't know much about Koch Media.

I wonder why Vigil didn't get any bids. I know they weren't happy with DS2's sales, but there were still pretty good numbers IIRC.

I like Relic primarily for one game that didn't ever catch on- Impossible Creatures. That game was so fun. Basically, its an RTS where you combine different animals to make your own customized army.

The Darksiders franchise is just too much of a niche market, IMO. The budget was huge for a company like THQ who claims they can compete in the market without spending 100 million developing a title... And that budget didn't even allow for any type of multiplayer experience. I don't think it needs one, but you know it is going to turn a ton of people off right there.

It's a great franchise, IMO, that isn't controlled by a massive studio with unlimited resources.

They just need to find a way to expand the fanbase. Hope we still get a DSIII and with it, a true sequel. They screwed up when they decided to do this parallel timeline stuff with DSII.