RazorStar

TGP's Top 100 Players

You notice how the NFL does one of these every year, and every year the list looks awful? Well, that's because the voting process is awful. They get about 10% of the players in the league to submit a top 20 list, and then those top 20 guys get in, and anyone who threw a biased vote for a player will often find guys like Michael Vick and Tim Tebow sneaking into the bottom of the list. So I'm trying to the improve the process. I have a simple way to start, and that's narrowing the field a bit. There's approximately 1600 active players in the league (50ish on 32 teams) an obviously they were not all created equal.

Each day I'll go position by position and you guys will give me your list of players who you think may qualify as a top 100 player. Taking QB's for example, if you're unsure about a guy like Cam Newton, put him on anyway, and let the wisdom of crowds narrow it down. If my projections are right, once I go through all the positions there will be well over 100 players on this list, but enough to narrow the field significantly. Just put in the players who you think are top 100 caliber. Be generous if you're unsure, and I'll say anyone who appears on about 1/3rd of the lists can qualify. If you want to go the extra mile, project where you think each player would fit in the top 100.

Also... before we get too far, I want to stress that while value is important the quality of player is much more important. This will be more important once we get past the qualifying round. Matt Stafford may be way more valuable to his team, but Calvin Johnson is certainly a better player on the same team.

In an attempt to standardize voting, so we do not get situations where Justin Smith is both second team all-pro DE and second team all-pro DT, (when he should have just been first team DE), I'm going to classify each defense here as 3-4 or 4-3. It doesn't matter if they're typically a hybrid scheme (Pats, Ravens, etc), or if they run Seattle's Elephant 4-3, this is just so we don't get situations like the above. Players may switch positions along the line like Justin Tuck who shades inside on 3rd downs, so just include the player in their base position. Defenses are confusing, you just have to deal with it.

So, 4-3 teams are:

Dolphins, Patriots, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Titans, Jags, Broncos, Raiders, Eagles, Giants, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Seahawks, and Rams

3-4 teams are:

Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Texans, Chiefs, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Packers, 49ers, and Cards

I have so many positions here because I have a feeling the named list will be small.

My List:

Nose Tackles:

None

4-3 MLB

Karlos Dansby

Luke Kuechly

Bobby Wagner

Brandon Spikes

4-3 OLB

Von Miller

Daryl Smith

Lance Briggs

Jerod Mayo

Philip Wheeler

3-4 ILB

Sean Lee

Patrick Willis

Daryl Washington

Derrick Johnson

Navarro Bowman

Lawrence Timmons

Nose Tackles - Jay Ratliff, Issac Sopoaga

4-3 MLB - Karlos Dansby, D'Qwell Jackson, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Urlacher, James Laurinaitis

4-3 OLB - Manny Lawson, Von Miller, Chad Greenway, Lance Briggs

3-4 ILB - Lawrence Timmons, Sugar, Brian Cushing, Derrick Johnson, Sean Lee, Pat & Bo, D-Wash

Edited by Bay

I think David is a 4-3 OLB, but I might be wrong on that one. Just scoot him to the correct position. He deserves to be in the conversation here.

Not sure how you missed Chad Greenway, though. Man deserves to be on here.

Nose Tackles

Jay Ratliff

Isaac Sopouaga

4-3 MLB

Karlos Dansby

Luke Kuechly

Bobby Wagner

4-3 OLB

Von Miller

Daryl Smith

Lance Briggs

Jerod Mayo

Lavonte David

Thomas Davis

Chad Greenway

3-4 ILB

Sean Lee

Patrick Willis

Daryl Washington

Derrick Johnson

Navarro Bowman

Lawrence Timmons

Brian Cushing

Terrell Suggs

Edited by Thanatos19

Wasn't down for Greenway. He's borderline already and this year wasn't a great one on his part. I struggled to put him up there but I decided against it. Then again, I may just be hyper critical about linebackers, Lavonte David isn't there either.

Von Miller

Daryl Smith

Patrick Willis

NaVorro Bowman

Brian Cushing

Lawrence Timmons

Jerod Mayo

no NTs

NT's

Jay Ratliff

Isaac Sopoaga

4-3 MLB

Karlos Dansby

Luke Kuechly

Bobby Wagner

James Laurinaitis

D'Qwell Jackson

Brian Urlacher

4-3 OLB

Von Miller

Daryl Smith

Lance Briggs

Jerod Mayo

Chad Greenway

3-4 ILB

Sean Lee

Patrick Willis

Daryl Washington

Derrick Johnson

Navarro Bowman

Lawrence Timmons

Brian Cushing

Current tallies:

Nose Tackles:

Jay Ratliff 3

Isaac Soapaga 3

4-3 MLB

Karlos Dansby 4

Luke Kuechly 3

Bobby Wagner 3

DeMeco Ryans

D'Qwell Jackson 2

Brian Urlacher 2

James Laurinaitis 2

Brandon Spikes

4-3 OLB

Von Miller 5

Lance Briggs 4

Daryl Smith 4

Jerod Mayo 4

Chad Greenway 3

Philip Wheeler

Lavonte David

Thomas Davis

Manny Lawson

3-4 ILB

Navarro Bowman 5

Lawrence Timmons 5

Patrick Willis 5

Daryl Washington 4

Derrick Johnson 4

Sean Lee 4

Brian Cushing 4

Ray Lewis

This is pathetic, get your votes in palacites.