Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Alex Smith to KC rumors... >:O

This is a Grantland article about QB fantasy value, so it has absolutely no value from a "real football" perspective, but it made me laugh so here:

26. Alex Smith

An unwritten bylaw of every league I’ve ever been a part of is that Smith will ALWAYS be available on the waiver wire, no questions asked. It’s downright infuriating how consistently average the man is; I guess his lot in life is to be the living embodiment of an Olive Garden entrée. (This would also help explain Andy Reid’s interest.) Anyway, my point is that I’ve never seen a situation dire enough to justify Smith’s inclusion in a starting lineup, and even if such a situation existed, his upside is so soul-crushingly low that spending a Sunday tracking his performance would qualify as a form of self-flagellation.

According to the Kansas City Star, Chiefs coach Andy Reid "has long coveted" Alex Smith, and looked into acquiring him while he was still coaching the Eagles.

The implication being, he really, really likes the guy. The Chiefs have every reason to pump up their new quarterback — OC Doug Pederson has gone as far as to claim he believes Smith is the best quarterback in the NFL — but the reality is, he's only a marginal upgrade on departed signal caller Matt Cassel. Reid is going to have to heavily alter his famously pass-happy system if he hopes to have the same success managing and manipulating Smith that Jim Harbaugh did in San Francisco.

Source: Kansas City Star

Alright that's it... Bill Barnwell just wrote the 67,340,204th article about how the Chiefs are a sneaky sleeper pick with Alex F@#$@#g Smith at QB. I am going to go buy a top hat, throw up in it, and make Bill wear it. All season.

Alright that's it... Bill Barnwell just wrote the 67,340,204th article about how the Chiefs are a sneaky sleeper pick with Alex F@#$@#g Smith at QB. I am going to go buy a top hat, throw up in it, and make Bill wear it. All season.

Yeah we will see how much of Smith's success was on his own and not because of Harbaugh's doing. I actually think he will be Schaub-like in KC. Good but nothing to write home about. They have enough talent on offense to help him out.

Yeah we will see how much of Smith's success was on his own and not because of Harbaugh's doing. I actually think he will be Schaub-like in KC. Good but nothing to write home about. They have enough talent on offense to help him out.

Smith has been reliable when his team runs the ball early, often, and effectively. When he's asked to throw more than hand off, his numbers take a nose dive. Doesn't jive AT ALL with an Andy Reid offense and I kind of feel like I'm taking crazy pills because everyone seems to think it's a good marriage.

Smith has been reliable when his team runs the ball early, often, and effectively. When he's asked to throw more than hand off, his numbers take a nose dive. Doesn't jive AT ALL with an Andy Reid offense and I kind of feel like I'm taking crazy pills because everyone seems to think it's a good marriage.

I see your point and the Chiefs should have a effective running game with Charles but I think a lot of Eagles fans I know were annoyed that McCoy didn't see the ball enough last season. Wouldn't be surprised if that carries over to KC.

Edited by BJORN

My god, I used to always get on Norv for never running the ball but if I had LeSean McCoy and ended up 32nd in carries I would be PISSED. That's absolutely shocking. Reid has been successful over the years but I've always felt that the best coaches adapt and play to their teams strengths. KC has talent in the passing game no doubt and Charles is a good weapon whether running or receiving out of the back field but you are right, I don't see Smith excelling in a pass heavy offense. The Chiefs are set up, in my eyes, to be a more run focused offense with big plays coming from play action.

It's fitting that after I build my case, KC promptly takes the field and shows a balanced offense. I don't necessarily take anything back bc I still have the sneaking suspicion that Reid will revert to his old ways in the regular season. That said, if he calls plays like last night- mixing the run in and giving Smith all high % throws- they should be fine.

I will say that I think Smith's stat line is deceiving. IIRC, 3 of his completions were Charles out of the backfield, 2 were quick hitches to McCluster and Fasano respectively, and 1 was a wheel to Fasano. I don't recall the 7th completion. It's kind of a catch 22, because I think that's just the sort of thing KC needs to do with him and yet those throws aren't going to impact a game much if it's getting out of hand.