Sign in to follow this  
GA_Eagle

Game of Thrones Season 3

Dumb.

The episode was pretty boring outside of the last 2 minutes, and that was still pretty fail by itself. All the facebook statuses lied to me about being awesome / epic. I didn't even like Robb that much, and very much disliked Catelyn... How disappointing. I am sure that scene was done a lot better through the written word than it was on television. Sure hope the last couple episodes make up for all the crap we have been wading through this season.

Edited by Favre4Ever

It was quite interesting to me to see everything that lead up to the last two minutes. It was an impact show and will be even more interesting to see how

their deaths affect the realm and certain characters story line; primarily Arya's. This will be the last building block that I believe will set Arya on a full path of darkness. The way the characters story lines have built up all season to this point has been awesome.

I am as much a fan of story and character building as anybody -- as you can see for yourself in TWD thread. It just doesn't seem that there has been much progression over the course of this season, story-wise, outside of the Daenerys plot line.

It's also very difficult to accurately and effectively build up to a single moment when you have 5 different stories to tell through 45ish minutes of air time (minus commercials, credits, and "Previously On..."). I suppose you could say they did the best they could, but I am just not so sure.

I would be in favor of having a new GoT every weeknight featuring a different character so they could do it justice. lol.

There NEEDS to be a huge payoff to this season before it concludes. I haven't read the books, so do not know what awaits -- but how they build off these events will define Season 3 for us. I don't have a great feeling about it, but I will wait to see the last few episodes before actually judging them.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I am as much a fan of story and character building as anybody -- as you can see for yourself in TWD thread. It just doesn't seem that there has been much progression over the course of this season, story-wise, outside of the Daenerys plot line.

There NEEDS to be a huge payoff to this season before it concludes. I haven't read the books, so do not know what awaits -- but how they build off these events will define Season 3 for us. I don't have a great feeling about it, but I will wait to see the last few episodes before actually judging them.

The fall of Winterfell and the King of the North getting wiped off the map is huge progression from my perspective. The Starks are dismantled. Sansa is a Lannister and Bron is secretly King of the North. Outside of that, the main progression was the progression/development of individual characters and character relationships. The three characters that come to my mind seeing character development is Daaenerys, Arya, and Jaime Lannister. Daenerys became more bold and rose in power, Arya is getting molded by the injustice of the world (reality), and Jaime seems to be a changed man. I think he will have a chip on his shoulder to prove to himself and others that he is more than a skills swordmen ( bigger then his hand) and chase the power of respect from his own name; not his fathers. I think he's going to turn into the man.

There's also been much progression of character relationships like Arya and the Hound. Arya with the Hound is quite ironic but seems like it will be a very interesting story to watch. There's also the progression of Jaime's relationship with Brienne and how it could possibly affect Cersei. We've seen a deeper side of Little Finger who revealed how ambitious he really is. We learned that Bran is a worg. Also Sansa and Tyrion is slightly intriguing (in my opinion) because it's such a random element. We've seen the Lannisters (Tywin) made demands of the 2nd wealthiest family in Westeros and is ordering for Cersei to marry Loras to further build on the legacy of their name. Not to mention the Lannisters killing and dismantling the Stark forces; one of the oldest and reputable family names in Westeros history. We also have knowledge of a weapon that auto kills White Walkers.

I would say a lot of progression happened this season. The individual character progression and character relationship developed nicely and is set up to give us a great season 4 with with all the character storylines that are going on. The one thing that makes for a successful show is that the characters and their story lines have depth. This season showed us deeper into the characters themselves and seems to be building up to something even bigger. I can't wait to see the seasonal finale.

Edited by dutchff7

Jamie is a good example I forgot of. Good call there.

Arya has had people killed prior to this season. Will she be going further down the rabbit hole after she learns of what happened the other night? Probably... Up until this point I would say she is no different than she was to start the season.

You've seen small things with Bran and I enjoy the introduction of Jojen Reed. There is potential there for sure. I feel this plot line should be a lot more interesting than it actually is.

And I can't be the only one to think that scene was poorly done...

It started badly outside with the death of (what I assume) to be Robb's direwolf. What a shit scene. Should have been a lot more epic than that, IMO. I think you have said that you haven't read the books so somebody else will have to answer... But did Martin really write the scene like that -- trapped in a box and just killed without a fight? It's a direwolf! Amazingly loyal, protective, and badass. Pathetic and insanely horrible.

The actual scene itself, inside, just didn't come across nearly as powerful as I feel it should have been. Maybe it was intended that way? I don't know... But I just didn't feel the raw emotion or power of the scene. The guys wife / unborn child gets stabbed like 5 times and he is an empty canvas. Maybe it's because he had bolts sticking out of his chest :laugh: ... The death seemed fail to me as well, the "Lannisters send their regards" was really the only money moment there, but I wanted to see Robb decapitated or at least shot in heart... Dude takes like 5 crossbow bolts to the chest then dies immediately after what looks like a stab wound to the abdomen (that's where it looks like the blood spurt is from anyway)? Lame.

Catelyn screeching the whole time certainly didn't help matters. But I suppose it's a + that she was the only one in the room to show any emotion. Killing Frey's wife seemed lame, he has shown little regard for his own daughters... Dunno why he would care about her -- and he didn't. Wish Catelyn could have at least killed or tried to kill someone more important.

Maybe my anger and disappointment is misdirected. Maybe it was bad acting, maybe it was poor writing of the source material.. I dunno.

No matter the cause, I just wasn't that into it. And I thought I would enjoy Catelyn's death so much not too long ago.

The finale episodes of this season, the ones that build off that moment, will be better... I expect them to be. I just hope it isn't all "woe is me, let's get more revenge, I hate life and want to die" on one side and all "let's drink and fuck in the name of victory" on the other. Let's get some real developments to send us into Season 4 well. :yep:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Jamie is a good example I forgot of. Good call there.

Arya has had people killed prior to this season. Will she be going further down the rabbit hole after she learns of what happened the other night? Probably... Up until this point I would say she is no different than she was to start the season.

You've seen small things with Bran and I enjoy the introduction of Jojen Reed. There is potential there for sure. I feel this plot line should be a lot more interesting than it actually is.

And I can't be the only one to think that scene was poorly done...

It started badly outside with the death of (what I assume) to be Robb's direwolf. What a shit scene. Should have been a lot more epic than that, IMO. I think you have said that you haven't read the books so somebody else will have to answer... But did Martin really write the scene like that -- trapped in a box and just killed without a fight? It's a direwolf! Amazingly loyal, protective, and badass. Pathetic and insanely horrible.

The actual scene itself, inside, just didn't come across nearly as powerful as I feel it should have been. Maybe it was intended that way? I don't know... But I just didn't feel the raw emotion or power of the scene. The guys wife / unborn child gets stabbed like 5 times and he is an empty canvas. Maybe it's because he had bolts sticking out of his chest :laugh: ... The death seemed fail to me as well, the "Lannisters send their regards" was really the only money moment there, but I wanted to see Robb decapitated or at least shot in heart... Dude takes like 5 crossbow bolts to the chest then dies immediately after what looks like a stab wound to the abdomen (that's where it looks like the blood spurt is from anyway)? Lame.

Catelyn screeching the whole time certainly didn't help matters. But I suppose it's a + that she was the only one in the room to show any emotion. Killing Frey's wife seemed lame, he has shown little regard for his own daughters... Dunno why he would care about her -- and he didn't. Wish Catelyn could have at least killed or tried to kill someone more important.

Maybe my anger and disappointment is misdirected. Maybe it was bad acting, maybe it was poor writing of the source material.. I dunno.

No matter the cause, I just wasn't that into it. And I thought I would enjoy Catelyn's death so much not too long ago.

The finale episodes of this season, the ones that build off that moment, will be better... I expect them to be. I just hope it isn't all "woe is me, let's get more revenge, I hate life and want to die" on one side and all "let's drink and fuck in the name of victory" on the other. Let's get some real developments to send us into Season 4 well. :yep:

I don't see Arya's character peaking just yet. I think it's much more room for character development. She's been through events this season that will ultimately impact her character but didn't have an immediate impact. One event is the feeling of betrayal by the Brother Hood of banners; a group of people she considered to be good and trusted. That was a pivotal building block that we have not seen the effects of yet. Then the massacre of her family and her dire wolves on top of that. I think that builds a bridge for a darker Arya. Yes, she's been involved in murder but there is always a step deeper into the darkness. As far as the wolves, Man > everything. Especially a lot of men.

The Red Wedding scene was set up brilliantly in my opinion. As far as the actual event, I liked it. Robb could have acted that scene out better and with more emotion, I agree. Robbs death in general could have been better and could have shown more visually, but it didn't kill the scene for me though. Catelyn made that scene in my opinion. She did a great job acting that scene. The uneasy and worrisome look on Catelyn's face once they closed the doors and began playing "The Rains of Castamere" was brilliant. It was at that pivotal moment when the realization of them getting killed was a more real possibility and was set into motion. Catelyn put a great deal of emotion into that scene and owned it more then anyone else. As far as her grabbing Walder's wife, that was the closest person she could get to without getting bombarded with arrows. All in all though, the importance and impact that the scene will have on the realm is undeniably awesome. The fact that the Starks got massacred shows that no one is save. Pure awesome.

With all that said, I'm not emotionally attached to Robb or Catelyn. Earlier in the season I already concluded that Robb may die. He kept making the wrong decisions politically. He wasn't fit to be a King in my opinion. Someone in command in a lesser role maybe. As for Catelyn, I didn't like the way she treated Jon Snow. She repent in her ways though in this season. Outside of that though, she was always a honorable and proud woman. Very brisk but did what had to be done. If Robb listened to his mother, they wouldn't have been massacred. I was worried about Sir Jorah more than the Starks lol.

I'm curious to see what happens with Jon and Ygritte. I said after the episode when they almost died climbing the wall that I think she may die. I hope not but I got that feeling because they were just to happy at the end. That may also be apart of changing Job's character slightly if they choose to do so. Jon hasn't went through any monumental change yet in character or experienced any pain or loss yet (besides his father getting beheaded). Who knows but I can't wait until next week!

Edited by dutchff7

You don't have to worry about that Favre. While I question how on earth you could think that was a poor scene, as literally everyone I know who watches GoT agrees it was flat out great, there is definitely a major development coming in the finale.

• Upvote 2

Catelyn is a character who is hard to sympathize with, because for all her talk of family and honor and such, the way she treats Jon Snow seems so cold, yet she would give up their best chance for ending the war for a shot to see her daughters again. But with the Red Wedding scene, the scene was told by her Point of View (and Arya for her scenes) in the book and it was haunting. This scene was Catelyn's time to shine, and she was magnificent in this episode.

Jon has had to go through a lot of change, the problem with him is that Kit Harrington does such a bad job that you can't come to care about his story as much. He lost Qhorin Halfhand, who was supposed to have a bigger role on his character. He betrayed his vows, which for a stark is much worse then if someone like a Lannister did it, because the Starks are all about honor before reason. He'll probably find out that Old Man Mormont is dead too, which will be a big deal to him, since he was like another father to him, he gave him that Valyrian Steel sword, and trained him for command of the Night's Watch. All of these are supposed to be big moments for Jon, but his actor just does not sell it. You feel nothing for him because his actor is so gormless.

You don't have to worry about that Favre. While I question how on earth you could think that was a poor scene, as literally everyone I know who watches GoT agrees it was flat out great, there is definitely a major development coming in the finale.

Not literally everyone, because here I am. :p. The actual things that happened... The deaths, I don't really mind. The idea that they are dead, and the Lannisters made up with the Freys to do it was a good thing. At the very highest level, it was fine. But just looking at some of the details and HOW it went down. Kind of dumb. The way the dire wolf dies, how Robb dies, Katelyn's attempt to do anything, the general lack of power during the scene.....

And one of you reader types need to answer my question. Well, you don't need to, but I don't want to look it up in case of future spoilers being on the same page.

Edited by Favre4Ever

As someone that has read the books:

Lol made you guys click...I don't really have any spoilers

Just kidding, everyone dies

• Upvote 1

3up60f.jpg

1:07 is when I began feeding that thought again in the back of my head that they might get killed. Showing the back view of Catelyn while focusing on the guy walking down the aisle. 1:20 is when the whole scene is being set in motion. It's just an epic and pivotal moment when the music begins playing and the realization begins to set in of what really might happen. It has such a chilling tone to and the way camera focuses in on Catelyn (raises resolution on her and fades resolution on everyone else) turns around as she hears the music as she begins to catch on and realize as well. Awesome directing and great acting to set the scene in motion. Brilliant.

Just epic.

Edited by dutchff7

Guest Phailadelphia

I just got caught up. What the fuck man. :(

Not literally everyone, because here I am. :p. The actual things that happened... The deaths, I don't really mind. The idea that they are dead, and the Lannisters made up with the Freys to do it was a good thing. At the very highest level, it was fine. But just looking at some of the details and HOW it went down. Kind of dumb. The way the dire wolf dies, how Robb dies, Katelyn's attempt to do anything, the general lack of power during the scene.....

And one of you reader types need to answer my question. Well, you don't need to, but I don't want to look it up in case of future spoilers being on the same page.

Regarding Robb's direwolf in the books:

In the books, the Frey men at first set four wolfhounds onto Grey Wind, all four of whom he proceeds to kill. Jeyne's brother, (Jeyne Westerling being Robb's wife in the books), who is traveling with Robb, releases Grey Wind when the betrayal starts. He kills four wolfhounds that the Frey men set on him, and then tears the arm off their handler. I almost felt more sad for Grey Wind's death than for Robb's, as I felt he had it coming almost. Grey Wind warns him that something is up, Catelyn even wants to back out, but no, naive little Robb is going to go in anyways and get himself killed.

But direwolves being loyal to the very end, when it breaks out of the cage, instead of turning and trying to get to freedom, he tries to get back to his master despite the dozen crossbowmen standing in his way.

Edited by Thanatos19

That's way better. :( Direwolves don't get any respect in the show.

I just found a facebook game... Game of Thrones: Ascent

Seems kind of cool, if anyone else is already playing or will start playing, let me know!

I just found a facebook game... Game of Thrones: Ascent

Seems kind of cool, if anyone else is already playing or will start playing, let me know!

"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

I will not lose. The House of Lawrence will prevail.

RTKkmdX.png

Edited by dutchff7

Guest Phailadelphia

The House of Beeblebrox, led by Lord Zaphod Beeblebrox, first of his name, is going to dethrone ya bitchasses.

House Manutz, led by Lord Phil, is destined to rule forever so yeah just quit now. Also, I wanna know what everyone's banner looks like. Here's mine:

9mI8Bfo.png

Axe to symbolize badassery, Dark Red to symbolize the blood of everyone else, White (I may have made this up...:shifty:) to symbolize supremacy.

Edited by Tridentdawgpound