Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Random Thoughts with Greg Cosell

After watching 2012 tape of North Carolina OG Jonathan Cooper and Alabama OG Chance Warmack, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes they both compare favorably to 2012 first-round guards Kevin Zeitler and David DeCastro.

Cosell was particularly effusive in his praise of Cooper, calling him "the most purely athletic guard I can remember seeing" coming out of college. Cooper plays with "light feet, great balance," and also showed a "nasty streak," consistently "looking for contact." Both Warmack and Cooper are likely top-22 picks.

Source: Greg Cosell on Twitter

After studying game tape of Florida DT Sharrif Floyd, NFL Films' Greg Cosell deemed Floyd his "favorite player on tape" in the 2013 draft.

Cosell credits Floyd with "great hips," and a "nimble" ability to play through and around blocks. Cosell also stressed "closing burst" as one of Floyd's best traits, calling him "a tackle-for-loss" type defensive tackle. Floyd has become the most popular mock draft pick for the Raiders at No. 3 overall.

The couple games I've seen so far of Cooper, he looks extremely athletic... Like, he moves so smoothly and easy that sometimes he forgets to keep his feet under him. He's gonna be a good one imo.

The couple games I've seen so far of Cooper, he looks extremely athletic... Like, he moves so smoothly and easy that sometimes he forgets to keep his feet under him. He's gonna be a good one imo.

He's gonna make some RB or running QB rich man. Covers ground faster than any OG I've ever seen.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd is "without question" the player Kansas City should draft at No. 1 overall.

Cosell went so far as to compare Floyd to J.J. Watt. "I think Sharrif Floyd is going to be an All-Pro type player right from Day One," Cosell added. "I’ve spoken to people in the SEC who say he’s as good a kid as he is a player, and that’s really important when you draft someone No. 1." On ESPN Radio Thursday, Chris Mortensen gave Floyd an "outside chance" of landing with the Chiefs.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

IDK about the comparison to Watt, only thing I really see them having in common is the motor. Every game I've seen of him shows his natural athleticism, and strength, but he's a loose cannon who gets undercut all the time cause he stands straight up and can't come under control to make a play when he's got one...

He's young though so there's all that upside. But I'm not as big a fan as most others, I'd still easily take Star over him.

Then again, I'm just a youtube junkie with too much free time... Don't have all the film he has, so what do I know? :shrug:

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

IDK about the comparison to Watt, only thing I really see them having in common is the motor. Every game I've seen of him shows his natural athleticism, and strength, but he's a loose cannon who gets undercut all the time cause he stands straight up and can't come under control to make a play when he's got one...

He's young though so there's all that upside. But I'm not as big a fan as most others, I'd still easily take Star over him.

Then again, I'm just a youtube junkie with too much free time... Don't have all the film he has, so what do I know? :shrug:

I'm in the same opinion as you in regards to Floyd (as well as the youtube cut up tape junkie part :biggrin: )

"...If you look hard enough..."

After studying this year's draft-eligible signal callers, NFL Films' Greg Cosell mentioned Miami (OH) QB Zac Dysert as one of the quarterbacks he finds very "intriguing" on game tape.

Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris is also a fan of Dysert. "He's a better arm talent than Matt Barkley," Cosell said of Dysert. "Now he's a little scattershot, and that's a problem -- all these quarterbacks have flaws. Now he ran a spread offense, so you don't see a lot of downfield throws. But if you look hard enough, you watch a lot of games -- which I have -- you do see some downfield throws. He has enough arm to make those throws."

I'm not a fan of 'project QBs' at all. Even if they have potential. 3rd day players have a big chance of always being ST contributors at their best. After the 1st two rounds, I wouldn't bank on finding that guy.

After doing tape study of Florida TE Jordan Reed, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Reed is "very similar" to Aaron Hernandez.

Cosell believes Reed has a chance to be the next "Joker" tight end in the NFL, creating matchup problems for defenses. At 6-foot-2 1/2 and 236 pounds, Reed ran a 4.72 forty at the Combine, although he was "unofficially" timed as fast as 4.62. His ten-yard split was 1.63 seconds. At the 2010 Florida Pro Day, a 6-foot-2 1/3, 245-pound Hernandez ran 4.64 with a 1.65-second ten-yard split.

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is the "most explosive playmaker" in this year's draft class.

It's the budding consensus. "If the NFL is passing/space league, why is (Austin) not a top-ten pick," Cosell asked rhetorically. "(He) can align anywhere. Matchup nightmare." While a 5-foot-9, 174-pound receiver is unlikely to go in the first 10 picks, it's quite possible Austin will crack the top 20.

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson needs "a lot of refinement running routes."

First time I've ever heard "slow eyes" as a descriptor.

Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on Path to the Draft Thursday that Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib is his No. 1-rated draft-eligible quarterback.

Cosell agrees with Russ Lande of the National Football Post, who also grades Nassib as this year's top signal caller. Cosell cited Geno Smith's "slow eyes" in terms of anticipation and "ball location" on intermediate to deep throws as reasons for concern. "My No. 1 quarterback based on the film study I've done is Ryan Nassib," Cosell said. "I liked him overall more than Geno Smith. I think he's a much more precise intermediate thrower. I think the ball comes out with a little better velocity at the intermediate level. And I think he's a little more accurate. And I like his footwork a little bit better."

There are a healthy group of people who like Nassib. I'm not as high, but I feel like he's got what it takes. Greg is pretty spot on with wide receivers and DBs, not so much with QBs. He was one of the drivers of the Ponder postseason hype train.

Nassib seems like a poor man's Favre at the moment...just like Jay Cutler was lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How dare you.

I dunno if I can name a developmental guy the undisputed #1 QB in this draft, but I do really like Nassib.

How dare you.

I dunno if I can name a developmental guy the undisputed #1 QB in this draft, but I do really like Nassib.

:D

:shifty:

There are a healthy group of people who like Nassib. I'm not as high, but I feel like he's got what it takes. Greg is pretty spot on with wide receivers and DBs, not so much with QBs. He was one of the drivers of the Ponder postseason hype train.

:yep:

I see lots of guys REALLY high on Ryan Nassib but I'm sorry I don't see it.

After extensive tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects USC QB Matt Barkley as no more than a "mid-level starter in the NFL" due to Barkley's athletic and arm-strength limitations.

"He just does not have enough arm," Cosell wrote, citing Barkley's tendency to "lose energy" on the backend of throws 18 yards or longer. "In addition, he did not show the pocket movement that is also essential for pocket quarterbacks in the NFL," Cosell observed. "Barkley was not very athletic in and around the pocket. He’s not very light on his feet. ... Overall, he’s an average athlete without the kind of lower body explosiveness that you’d like to see, the kind that defines a quarterback like Drew Brees."

Source: Yahoo Sports

Appearing on the Rich Eisen Podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International has a strong case to be the first safety selected in April's draft.

"This kid is really athletic," said Cosell. "When I watched him, I couldn't believe that he was 220 pounds and the way he moved. He had an interception against Louisville that was just unbelievable. He came from the middle of the field all the way to the sideline. For a second, it looked like Ed Reed. I don't think he'll be the first safety drafted, but I wouldn't have a problem if he was the first safety drafted." We expect Cyprien's draft window to begin at No. 18 with the Cowboys. The Rams at No. 22 could also be in play.

Source: NFL.com

He calls him nothing more than a mid-level starter and then compares him to Drew Brees? I am confused.

Isn't he saying that Barkley lacks the lower body explosiveness that defines Drew brees?

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has "open field instincts and movement" that cannot be taught, and that there are very few players Patterson's size with his kind of ability.

Patterson checks in at 6-foot-2, 216. There's been chatter than Patterson's raw route-running ability may knock him out of the first round, but Cosell doesn't expect it to "dramatically affect his draft status." Along with West Virginia's Tavon Austin, Cosell calls Patterson a player who made him say "wow" while watching tape. "Believe me," Cosell wrote. "That does not happen too often."

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell calls Tennessee WR Justin Hunter the "most physically talented wide receiver" in this year's draft class.

Cosell believes Hunter's fluidity, vertical speed and "playmaking ability at the catch point" make him the most explosive route runner in a class that includes college teammate Cordarrelle Patterson and West Virginia's Tavon Austin. Cosell acknowledges Hunter committed too many "easy drops" in the SEC, but is convinced his "acceleration and vertical explosion" will impact games in the NFL. Hunter is No. 61 on Josh Norris' big board.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell says West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is more versatile and explosive than both Antonio Brown and T.Y. Hilton.

Cosell mentioned Brown and Hilton because he has mocked Austin to the Cardinals, where Bruce Arians is now the head coach. Arians made stars out of Brown and Hilton at his previous stops. Arizona is highly unlikely to reach for Austin at No. 7 overall when they have Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts, but Cosell's point is well taken. Austin is going to hit the ground running as an explosive game-changer no matter where he lands.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell compares Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan to the retired Jason Taylor.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah has made this same comparison. Jordan measured 6-foot-6 1/4 and 248 pounds at the Combine while Taylor was listed at 6'6/244. Both players are freakishly athletic and explosive for their height. Primarily a right defensive end in the Dolphins' old 4-3, Taylor compiled 139.5 sacks over 13 seasons. Jordan could go as high as No. 2 overall to the Jags, who are looking for "Leo" linebackers in Gus Bradley's hybrid scheme. Cosell says Jordan is "just scratching the surface."