Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Mocking de Draft

Lots of folks think Tampa is coughing up their first for Revis, so let's go with that hypothetical too.

1) :Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, LT, Texas A&M

2) :jags: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

3) :Cardinals: (via OAK) Eric Fisher, LT, Central Michigan

4) :Eagles: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

5) :Lions: Ziggy Ansah, DE, Brigham Young

6) :Browns: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

7) :Raiders: (via ARI) Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

8) :49ers: (via BUF) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

9) :Jets: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

10) :Titans: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

11) :Chargers: Lane Johnson, LT, Oklahoma

12) :dolphins: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

13) :Rams: (via NYJ/TB) Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

14) :panthers: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

15) :Saints: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, Louisiana State

16) :Jets: (via STL) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

17) :Steelers: Cornelius Carradine, OLB, Florida State

18) :Cowboys: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

19) :Giants: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State

20) :Bears: Alec Olgetree, LB, Georgia

21) :Bengals: Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia

22) :Rams: Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

23) :Vikings: Keenan Allen, WR, California

24) :Colts: Datone Jones, DL, California Los Angeles

25) :Vikings: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

26) :Packers: Jesse Williams, DL, Alabama

27) :Texans: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

28) :Broncos: Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State

29) :dolphins: (via NE) D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

30) :Falcons: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

31) :Bills: (via SF) Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse

32) :Ravens: Kevin Minter, LB, Louisiana State

Jamar Taylor? Eh, I'm not super hyped for him, if Werner fell that far, I'd want to pick him up. Nothing needs to be said about my mancrush on Okafor, but Werner is a bonafide steal there. The 49ers definitely have a lot of firepower to move around in the draft, but I'm unsure if they need a WR, even one as scintillating as Austin. Jets would be getting swole if the draft fell that way, but I have the sneaking suspicion that whatever pass rusher they get will bust, just because they're the Jets.

Arthur Brown is also way higher than I expected. He'll be a sick WILL, of that I'm certain so the Giants may have good use for him. And I may be crazy, but I see Cooper going ahead of Warmack, not because Cooper is necessarily better, but he's more scheme diverse, so a team like the Titans might say "We need a centre for our young shitty QB". Instead of "Oh man we need a Right Guard in the first this year, that's definitely our biggest hole.".

Good stuff.

Yeah thinking for the Broncos was hard for me, I mostly was going off how teams exploited their defense in the nickel package late in the year. So I decided to load them up with another corner (I'm higher on Taylor than most) so they could be flexible with DRC as a roaming safety who could work as a TE spy (TEs burned Denver late last year) of sorts. Champ and Taylor on the outside, Harris back to nickel where he's more effective. How high are the Broncos on Tony Carter by the way? In terms of Werner, I'd actually go Okafor instead of him if I were to redo it and go pass rush. Like you, I'm higher on Okafor than most.

There were three teams I wasn't really comfortable mapping out for this, the Broncos were one, as were Green Bay and Pittsburgh — in terms of where they were drafting and what players fit in their spots. I unfortunately likely got lazy with Denver and just went CB like I've seen in most mocks (although a lot have Trufant.) I know you're not high on Carrardine, but I like him over Werner too. There's just too many flaws in Werner's game in my eyes: takes plays off, strictly takes the outside, relies more on jumping snap counts (which is much easier with college QBs who don't master cadence) than his actual quickness off the snap. Okafor and Carrardine are the total package in my opinion: mix up going outside/inside, high motors/don't take plays off, better hand use to shed blocks, have legit quickness off the snap, and they actually have pass rush moves.

Being a Noles fan I obviously watched all their games, but going back and watching Werner and Carradine separately — there's a reason Tank was getting doubled a lot and Werner wasn't. Werner mostly ate on the bad teams, and QBs who mindlessly let him sniff out their snap count. The good teams realized you can just push him outside and let him run himself out of the play. I don't want to get too critical though, still a lot of potential, he's only been playing ball for so long so things can be learned, but as it stands now I see him as the worst of the three.

I'm really high on Arthur Brown. I don't want to say this, because I doubt he reaches the same level but I'm just saying... more than a few scouts I respect have noted he reminds them a lot of University of Miami era Ray Lewis (who was also thought to be an undersized LB, likely not fit for MLB in the NFL.) Three of which have Ray as one of their favorite all time players.

With the Titans I can definitely see Cooper too — with your play him at center point. I just figure with their coach they'd like to be that physically dominating style of offense/offensive line, featuring Chris Johnson with mixing in Greene. Levitre at one guard, Warmack at the other. But yeah, could go either way, not crazy at all.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I agree with Zack here,we should grab Trufant if he's available. Even if we're taking an OLB,there are at least two guys I'd take before Tank.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's anyway the Jets take Rhodes if they do in fact get Tampa's pick this year. I doubt they draft a corner to begin with, but drafting a corner who's much better in zone than he is in man definitely not going to happen.

I agree with Zack here,we should grab Trufant if he's available. Even if we're taking an OLB,there are at least two guys I'd take before Tank.

Not to mention Carradine is coming off of an ACL injury and the fact that he's a bit too lengthy and big at 6'4" 276. I think Carradine projects as a Round 2 4-3 DE.

I don't think there's anyway the Jets take Rhodes if they do in fact get Tampa's pick this year. I doubt they draft a corner to begin with, but drafting a corner who's much better in zone than he is in man definitely not going to happen.

Rhodes is better in man though... he's not as good in zone. I watched every FSU game for the past god knows how many years (Seminoles fan.)

Rhodes is better in man though... he's not as good in zone. I watched every FSU game for the past god knows how many years (Seminoles fan.)

Everything I read says he was better in zone, idk

At this point, with how everyone has him going to us, Ansah won't be go to us. We'll probably get someone else...

In my mock I was thinking either him or Jordan, but even in the wide 9 scheme I think Jordan is too lean to be a DE.

Everything I read says he was better in zone, idk

It's honestly hard to tell because he hardly ever played zone at FSU. It was all man, off man and press man. In the few times he does play zone, he's not that great at it. Most look at him as a press man corner fit, due to his evidence of tape doing it, and his length and size which would make him that more effective at it (they paint him as a similar fit for how Seattle likes their DBs, big, long and physical press man corners.)

It's actually Milliner who you might be mistaking, who played at Alabama and Saban likes to play a lot of zone. He's not bad at man, but he's better at zone simply because he's played it more. There's even a running narrative about Alabama CBs and why they struggle to adjust to the NFL (think Dre Kirkpatrick last year, Kareem Jackson in 2010.) Some think it has to do with Saban's scheme making it easier for the players so they don't end up having to learn certain techniques or developing man skills, as well of course as 'Bama usually having an excellent front seven to help out the secondary.

Elite size provides him with good overall range. Has the upper body strength and length to make it difficult for receivers to get off the line. Will get lazy in pedal and become too high at times. Also shows stiffness in his hips and ankles transitioning in and out of breaks. Much more effective in zone or press than off man coverage. Doesn't show an elite second gear when tracking the ball downfield despite timed speed. Also relies on being physical does a lot of clutching and bumping downfield that he won't get away with after five yards at the NFL level. Capable of covering deep half if moved to safety.

From ESPNs thing.

I read it wrong the first time, thought it said much more effective in zone than press man or off man.