Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Jason Collins Comes Out

Am I the only one that notices a difference between people praising an athlete for coming out of the closet and people berating Tebow for being open with his Christian views? There are some harsh criticisms toward Tebow regarding how open he is, but I still think there's a strong difference between the two. It's getting kind of annoying when people bring that up.

• Upvote 1

The idea that your genes 100% make you homosexual or heterosexual is dumb.

They predispose you towards it, but there is still choice involved.

(I trust my opinion on gay marriage and homosexuality has been made abundantly clear, so let me re-iterate only that the fact that I do think its a choice in 90% of cases doesn't matter one whit in whether or not the government can regulate it.)

So who says we don't choose to be heterosexual? Is that instinctive or is heterosexuality a social construct, just like gender?

So who says we don't choose to be heterosexual? Is that instinctive or is heterosexuality a social construct, just like gender?

I think most of us do choose to be heterosexual, though most people are probably not aware of the choice or when it was made. That's why I said homosexual or heterosexual.

If you're not aware of it, its not a choice.

My /only/ grievance with the point you're bringing up, Blots, is that so many people use that as an excuse for "supporting" gays. Too often do I hear, "I think homosexuality is wrong, but what can we do... they don't have a choice so let's just treat them differently." I hate that line of thinking, to be honest.

You're right in that it shouldn't matter, but it destroys the argument "they chose to be this way so if they want rights they could make another choice." You know, if the horribleness of that claim wasnt reason enough to not believe it.

I actually haven't heard people make that argument before. Kind of pathetic that people do argue that point, however.

Oh... Viking's Social Media Experiences continue... dumb bitch on FB comments, "It's a fucking choice. If it was something to do with their head, then there would be a cure for it!"

I know I've had this conversation on here before, but every time I read an anti-gay post, the more and more it seems like I am living in the X-Men (film) world.

You're right in that it shouldn't matter, but it destroys the argument "they chose to be this way so if they want rights they could make another choice." You know, if the horribleness of that claim wasnt reason enough to not believe it.

I don't really care. I don't say something I don't believe to be true merely because douchebags everywhere use that as an excuse to deny someone their rights. It doesn't make an ounce of difference whether or not its a choice, the government doesn't get to regulate this.

I just don't get how we haven't moved past this already. People can't separate church and state, I guess.

No; they can easily do that when it's convenient for them. It's just that when people don't bend to their social doctrines, they cry religious persecution and say they are the real victims.