Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Bware's Conference Finals Writeup

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Miami Heat (1) vs. Indiana Pacers (3)

Heat

The Heat come into this series after trolling us by letting Chicago win a game. They are not healthy, however, as Wade limps into this matchup not looking at all like his usual self. This could take some pressure off of the Pacers and allow them to focus more on LeBron and Bosh, because Lance Stephenson is a solid defender and may be able to keep a hobbled Wade in check. Either way, the Heat are still the clear favorites. This must be what it felt like to watch the Bulls in the '90s.

MWT: 4

X-Factor: LeBron

Wild Card: The Heat's three point shooters. Their shots have to fall or the Pacers will be able to clog the lane and keep LeBron from doing what he does so well.

Schematic Suggestions: Offense—Move the ball and hope that their threes fall so LeBron can attack the lane. Go at Hibbert as much as possible to try get him in foul trouble. Defense—Pressure George Hill up high so he can't just get into running the offense. He is the cog that makes Indiana's offense work, so attack him. Clog the lane to try and get Hibbert and West to kick it out. Make Indiana's shooters beat you. Box out and rebound.

Pacers

The Pacers come into this series after knocking off two teams that were solid and yet not good enough to really advance against a superior team in Indiana. It is a little unnerving to know that the Pacers needed six games with both the Hawks and Knicks, but they essentially beat NYK in 5 because they only had George Hill for 5 games. They're not being given a chance by analysts and fans alike, so I expect that to add even more fuel to their fire. Watch out for this team. If there was any Eastern Conference team to knock off Miami. It's this one, but that doesn't make it any more likely.

MWT: 4 (I'm not kidding. If the Pacers show up every night, this could easily go 7)

X-Factor: Roy Hibbert. He needs to control the lane, even if the other 4 need to cover the 3 point line.

Wild Card: The Pacers shooters. If the Heat can keep Hibbert or West from going off, the Pacers will need to hit jump shots.

Schematic Suggestions: Offense—Post Hibbert and West constantly because Bosh is soft and Haslem, while a solid 4, just can't deal with either of the Pacers bigs. If LeBron shifts onto West again like last time, attack him. Even if he is an incredible defender, try to draw some fouls on him. Hill, George, and Stephenson need to be ready to shoot and Stephenson and George need to attack the rim without running right into offensive fouls. Defense—Do what you do, Indiana, but know that Miami's going to hit the open threes that the Knicks got, so cover the three point line better.

Prediction: Heat in 7. The Pacers need another year to be capable of taking the series in a 7th game, and maybe they'll get home court if the Heat don't go off and win almost 30 in a row next year.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

San Antonio Spurs (2) vs. Memphis Grizzlies (5)

Spurs

The Spurs come into this series after disposing of an impressive Warriors club that gave away game 1 en route to an embarrassing 6 game exit at the hands of a team they had every right to go 7 with. However, what's more impressive is that the Spurs ended the series in 6, making me believe that they might be significantly better than the past 2-3 Spurs teams who just weren't good enough to win the title. As a Rockets fan, I see so many similarities between Kawhi and Parsons that I just can't help but be a fan. I'm also intrigued by whether or not Danny Green will go cold again in the Conference Finals.

X-Factor: Spurs shooters (Green, Neal, Leonard, etc). If they're not hitting their shots, the Spurs have no chance.

Wild Card: Tim Duncan. He needs to keep ZBo or Gasol in check.

Schematic Suggestions: Offense—Post Duncan and try to get either Gasol or Randolph into foul trouble. Move the ball. Let Parker and Ginobili drive and dish. Don't take bad shots because the Grizzlies control the boards. Use as much of the shot clock as possible to try and tire the Grizzlies' defense out a bit. Defense—Collapse on the Grizzlies post players because that's how they beat you in the first place. Force the ball back outside and make the Grizzlies shooters make shots.

Grizzlies

Memphis comes into this series after disposing of two teams that many picked to beat them, winning 4 straight in each series. They have perhaps the most underrated coach in the NBA and prior to this year, they had the most underrated point guard in the NBA. They come into this series as favorites among many analysts and fans, but I just don't see why. The Clippers weren't that good. The Thunder were a 7 game series if Westbrook was healthy and either could have won. While I think the Grizzlies will win this series, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

X-Factor: Marc Gasol. His high post shooting and passing has been deadly in these playoffs.

Wild Card: Tony Allen. Can he take either Parker or Ginobili and at least hold them in check?

Schematic Suggestions: Offense—Move the ball unless Randolph or Gasol can establish post position. Get the ball back to Conley late in the shot clock because he's good at driving and creating shots for either himself or others. Hit the offensive boards because they don't have a ton of good shooters. Defense—Do what you do, Memphis, but you can't sag off of Spurs shooters. Duncan may be playing better, but he's still not the same player. Don't be tricked into giving him more attention. Box out and make Splitter irrelevant.

Prediction: Grizzlies in 6.

Heat in 5

Spurs in 7

Lol if the Heat take 7 games to dispatch the Pacers I will leave this message board.

Ok, no I won't, but the Heat will win in 5, 6 if the Pacers play absolutely perfectly. LeBron is playing on another level right now.

Spurs Grizzlies I don't really know what will happen. I think I'll go with the Spurs in 7 but could easily see the Grizz winning the series.

Edited by BradyFan81